Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

I NEED AN OPINION ON TRANNY NOISE: who works/lives in the Reston area?

Old 04-20-2004, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so I have a 2003 with 5600 miles. I have symptons/noises that are in tune with the TSB 00-054. I took it to Leesburg Honda and did a ride along..the tech said he wasn't familiar enough to know if the noise was common, the service writer said it was 'common' and nothing to worry abut.

Can someone take a ride in my car to tell me if what I'm hearing is normal or not. After reading posts on this board as well as hearing the tech mention 'gear backlash' I just need to know if my noise is just that...gear backlash and somewhat associated with the common 'noise' that S2000 owners have (also related to TSB00-054).

I work in Reston and have the car with me today, and I live in ashburn. I don't take the car to work all the time, but can make arrangements to meet up with someone.

thanks
Chris
Old 04-20-2004, 09:11 AM

You might want to take it over to Fairfax Honda & ask for Al Ubago. Or let me know & I'll call him for you. He's a good friend of mine that is a mechanic there and will help you out. Is it a ticking? Does it show up in certain gears? I have an 03 and when I was around your mileage I had this weird ticking noise mostly when I would put it in reverse, but it would happen occasionally in first or second. I took it into Al & he looked it over, drove it & determined it had to do with the rear wheels. He put some type of spray in the wheel barings...it wasn't even the tranny eventhough it sounded like that's where it was coming from. Haven't had a problem since. Not sure if that's anything like what your experiencing, but I thought I would throw it out there.
-jeremy
Old 04-20-2004, 09:26 AM

Jeremey,
thanks for the info. Its not a ticking noise, its more of a hollow rattling/buzzing noise. It happens specifically between 3-4K rpm and I have had it happen in 2nd, 3rd and 5th/6th gears.

The mechanic said it could be attributed to gear backlash.

If you do a search for TSB 00-054, my symptoms are similair, only I have an 03.

Chris
Old 04-20-2004, 09:29 AM

hey i may be able to help i have an 00 with the tsb performed and my car is makin the noise again i took it in to verify it was the clutch making the noise and thye told me this is "normal". so if you want to listen to my car and see if the noise is similar or not your welcome to let me now if you want to meet up or whatever its fine wiht me just let me know
Old 04-20-2004, 09:56 AM

White_S2k...

(are you Matt? Didn't I meet you at the March Madness?)

anyway, yes I would like to meet up to listen to the noise.

when are you available?

Chris
Old 04-20-2004, 09:59 AM

sure no problem if you have my cell still you can give me ring and anytime is fine i have nothing to do today so just let me know. my cell is 571 244 1194
Old 04-20-2004, 05:01 PM

still feeling like its a prob? I guess just take it in like everyone else said if it makes you feel better...but I didnt hear anything bad...lemme know what comes to light.

LB
Old 04-20-2004, 06:42 PM

^^S2K Paradigm,
I don't think I was properly able to replicate the noise when you drove the car, you heard it faintly, but I have been able to replicate it more. Matt drove the car today and heard the noise but wasn't positive that it sounded like his problem.

I'll try one more person. Anyone else want to take a listen? :-)

thanks
Chris
Old 04-20-2004, 06:47 PM

Received 520 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally posted by ciccone376
White_S2k...

(are you Matt? Didn't I meet you at the March Madness?)

anyway, yes I would like to meet up to listen to the noise.

when are you available?

Chris
No, he/she (Chris) is not. I am the Matt that you met at the "March Meltdown" in Nellysford. I think that I know of the strange noise that Chris is referring to. I also hear it at a constant speed, not under load. I have just always contributed it to the lubrication pump in the transmission.

If ciccone wants to hook up to compare noises I would be happy to.

Matt_inVA
Old 04-20-2004, 07:46 PM

Matti_inVA:

actually White_S2K is also Matt:-) I met with him today.

looks like you have been following my story and may understand my noise.

It happens within the 3-4K range, under what I consider to be 'float the pedal' conditions, meaning I'm not accelerating, nor letting the pedal up entirely, but 'floating' the gas pedal. I can almost modulate the noise now at certain speeds, all within the 3-4K range.

my car is 'sleeping' for the next few days as the rain hits, but the next nice day I can meet up with you. I'd be happy to drive to meet you Matt (in VA).

send me in AOL IM when you get a chance: Powerslide376 or reply here.

thanks
Chris

Quick Reply: I NEED AN OPINION ON TRANNY NOISE: who works/lives in the Reston area?