Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

I got a ticket...:(

Old 10-29-2006, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a ticket...:(

So yea, I was pulled over for 81 in a 65 on 64 tonight. The officer mentioned that the speed was reckless, but said he would knock it down so it was just a normal ticket. However when i looked at the ticket, he put me down as 80/65. Isnt that still reckless? I was always told that 80 or more than 15 over is reckless. Theres no mention of reckless on the ticket, but i was kinda confused. I know this is a really stupid question, but could you guys help me out on this...
Old 10-29-2006, 02:33 PM

He can write you for just speeding. He chose the option to not write you a reckless and chose to write you for speeding. It's two different statutes. You got lucky. You can prepay the fine and not show up in court.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the quick response... Looks like im going to go to court anyways to see if i can get driving school, considering this is my only ticket. I hope goochland judges arent as bad as the ones in powhatan, nowadays theres no way theyll let you have driving school. know how the goochland judges are?
Old 10-29-2006, 03:30 PM

I highly suggest you pay the fine. If you show up in court, then can amend the charges if they'd like to reckless if the judge is in a pissy mood. Pay the fine, take the online classes to reduce the points. You won't get just driving school with this ticket if you show up for court.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:44 PM

(edit)
Old 10-29-2006, 03:48 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

wow! i would take the exact opposite approach here in MD

i don't say that to go against what peter said since he used to be a officer him self it's just wild how different it is between the states
Old 10-29-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

oh geez! you got nailed coming back from the fall colors mini-event?
Old 10-29-2006, 04:57 PM

Good idea klassy im in the same boat, more concerned about the points for insurance's sake...I didnt go to the Fall Colors, we had a get together in Charlottesville with some folks from s2kca.

4theheckofit, one last question i promise...what online class? could you describe it/its benefits for me or at least point me in the right direction? Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-29-2006, 05:04 PM

I would listen to Peter. In VA, going 80 mph and over is reckless in addition to going over 20 mph over the speed limit. They can get you in both counts of reckless. You got lucky that the cop didn't charge you with reckless. A few months back i got a reckless for going 85/50 in fairfax. I got a lawyer. He told me that there was very little chance that they (police officer & procecutor) reduced the charge. I actually took the aggressive driving class and got my speedometer calibrated so that my lawyer could talk to procecutor & judge for not suspending my license. I showed up in court expecting the worst. I got lucky that the cop that pulled me over left the police dept. The procectutor dropped my case.

As peter said, if you show up in court, then they can amend the charges. You'll be in bigger trouble. Reckless will stay on your record for 11 years in VA.

By the way, i'm not driving over 80 mph in VA anymore especially in fairfax. After spending money & time for this, it's not worth it.

and for the class, you can take voluntarily. There are two different classes. One is driver improving class which you can take online. The other is aggressive driving class which you have to go to the class. It'll add 6 points to your license. However, the charge is still on your record, and your insurance premium will go up anyway. Speeding looks much better than a reckless on the record.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:30 PM

If you take the online classes it'll reduce the points you have on your license. Go to the DMV website and it'll point you in the right direction.

If you were in MD, I'd say go to court. Since you got the ticket in VA, the courts can amend the charges to make it worst for you if you do decide to show up in court. The reason the police officer didn't write you for reckless is that so you won't have to show up in court, giving you an easy way out. Back in the day, I used to write lesser charges at the time of the violation to make sure they didn't show up in court. And if they did show up in court, I'd amend the charges since they wanted to contest it and I already gave them a break. Again, this is just my $.02.

Peter

Quick Reply: I got a ticket...:(