Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

i got pulled over off 395 last night

Old 02-12-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one more, this being in NYC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8288954/

they denied having quotas but internally, they really did have them. are you a cop? i didn't think so. even if you really were a cop, you'd say exactly what the NYPD said...that there weren't any quotas, when in fact there really are.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I've talked to Montgomery County police and they don't have quotas, but they would have to answer for not having a stack of tickets... so, in a way, they DO have to write tickets, even if there isn't a particular hard number they have to meet.

FWIW, I think everyone piling on is a little harsh. Yes, you made a mistake, you ranted about the ticket and were done with it. Personally, I think it's a minor reason to pull you over and think it would typically be a secondary citation (i.e. pulled for speeding AND you didn't use your signal) but it is what it is.

<rant>
I've been pulled over SPECIFICALLY for not having a front plate and while I've tried to reason with the officer to avoid the ticket, that doesn't always work. My main problem with being pulled over specifically for the front plate is that the (Gaithersburg city) officer had to chase me down (not that I was speeding to get away) THROUGH TRAFFIC DURING RUSH HOUR on a two-lane road (Great Seneca Hwy north, just north of Muddy Branch Rd) and pulled me over ON Great Seneca (there was no cross road to pull off) blocking one lane of a very busy and congested road for 15 minutes, RIGHT AT a regular point of congestion.

All for a $50 non-moving violation. I was in violation, I have no problem admitting that and I paid the ticket. I just think it was a poor choice by the police, considering the circumstances.
</rant>

And FWIW, I ALWAYS use my turn signal, too.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:39 PM

gangs, just be careful driving at night. s2000 does stand out at night. do not give them any reason to pull you over. Chances are, they will always try to give you some kind of citation. Some cops are fair but others are not.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by animeS2K,Feb 12 2008, 12:45 PM
I've talked to Montgomery County police and they don't have quotas, but they would have to answer for not having a stack of tickets... so, in a way, they DO have to write tickets, even if there isn't a particular hard number they have to meet.

FWIW, I think everyone piling on is a little harsh. Yes, you made a mistake, you ranted about the ticket and were done with it. Personally, I think it's a minor reason to pull you over and think it would typically be a secondary citation (i.e. pulled for speeding AND you didn't use your signal) but it is what it is.

<rant>
I've been pulled over SPECIFICALLY for not having a front plate and while I've tried to reason with the officer to avoid the ticket, that doesn't always work. My main problem with being pulled over specifically for the front plate is that the (Gaithersburg city) officer had to chase me down (not that I was speeding to get away) THROUGH TRAFFIC DURING RUSH HOUR on a two-lane road (Great Seneca Hwy north, just north of Muddy Branch Rd) and pulled me over ON Great Seneca (there was no cross road to pull off) blocking one lane of a very busy and congested road for 15 minutes, RIGHT AT a regular point of congestion.

All for a $50 non-moving violation. I was in violation, I have no problem admitting that and I paid the ticket. I just think it was a poor choice by the police, considering the circumstances.
</rant>

And FWIW, I ALWAYS use my turn signal, too.
yeah, there basically are quotas...apparently being transparent about them is bad, so in reality there are just "implied" quotas, and it's really the same thing.

and, LOL to "And FWIW, I ALWAYS use my turn signal, too. "

Old 02-14-2008, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by boofer,Feb 12 2008, 02:51 PM
you do know that it probably varies state by state, right? check the link below:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...8-2004Aug7.html

hmm, what's that title say? so don't give me the condescending garbage, mmkay?

I am sure it different state by state but I KNOW some State troopers and severl different county cops and none of them have quotas. Sure most cops have to have a stack of tickets every month but there is no actual amount. A stack of tickets just shows that they are doing there job. If a cop had an actual quota he couldfill it in no time just because there are SOOOO many people driving like complete asshats everywhere they go
Old 02-14-2008, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by boofer,Feb 14 2008, 09:57 AM
yeah, there basically are quotas...apparently being transparent about them is bad, so in reality there are just "implied" quotas, and it's really the same thing.

and, LOL to "And FWIW, I ALWAYS use my turn signal, too. "

the only cops that I would imagine that would even have an "Implied" Quota would be a traffic cop that his job is to just pull people over and thats basically it
Old 02-14-2008, 06:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AP1_S2k,Feb 14 2008, 10:11 AM
the only cops that I would imagine that would even have an "Implied" Quota would be a traffic cop that his job is to just pull people over and thats basically it
Any cop that has a patrol or spends a significant amount of time in a cruiser is expected to have something to show for that time. If you're not writing tickets or filing reports, you'd better believe the bosses are going to want to know what the hell you've been doing with your time.

Obviously detectives and non-uniformed police aren't expected to be out writing tickets.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by AP1_S2k,Feb 14 2008, 07:09 AM
I am sure it different state by state but I KNOW some State troopers and severl different county cops and none of them have quotas. Sure most cops have to have a stack of tickets every month but there is no actual amount. A stack of tickets just shows that they are doing there job. If a cop had an actual quota he couldfill it in no time just because there are SOOOO many people driving like complete asshats everywhere they go
yes, we've established that some places have no formal quota, but i linked you to NYC and at least falls church, VA having quotas but being secretive about the whole thing. even if you "know" some cops, it doesn't mean they're going to confide in you and confess that they have quotas too (as seen in the two articles i linked a few posts ago). apparently you didn't read them, but you're assuming that since you know 2 cops, the rule applies everywhere.

additionally, even if you have no quota and the cop has a lower-than-average number of tickets that he's issued that week or month and only ~2 days left, you bet he's going to be wary of this and pull over people for things that he might not have ordinarily done, had he already handed out x-amount of tickets. ask your law enforcement friends about that scenario.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by boofer,Feb 14 2008, 11:31 AM
yes, we've established that some places have no formal quota, but i linked you to NYC and at least falls church, VA having quotas but being secretive about the whole thing. even if you "know" some cops, it doesn't mean they're going to confide in you and confess that they have quotas too (as seen in the two articles i linked a few posts ago). apparently you didn't read them, but you're assuming that since you know 2 cops, the rule applies everywhere.

additionally, even if you have no quota and the cop has a lower-than-average number of tickets that he's issued that week or month and only ~2 days left, you bet he's going to be wary of this and pull over people for things that he might not have ordinarily done, had he already handed out x-amount of tickets. ask your law enforcement friends about that scenario.
calm down, I said that its diferent from state to state and I live in MD so I don't know about VA. I do agree though that if the cop is falling short of his cop buddys that if your the next one pulled over your gonna get tickets for EVERYTHING. All I was saying is that there is no official quota for anywhere around me. Of course they are going to try and get a lot though cuz it makes them look better to their boss.

Not trying to start an e-fight
Old 02-14-2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by AP1_S2k,Feb 14 2008, 01:06 PM
Not trying to start an e-fight
Ding Ding Ding!!!

Quick Reply: i got pulled over off 395 last night