Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

How's The Montgomery Village Area?

Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's The Montgomery Village Area?

My wife and I are thinking of buying a T/H in Gaithersburg's Hidden Creek Community. We are currently renting in White Flint, but we both work up north so we've been house shopping along the 270 corridor. We've narrowed down our decision to this area because it offers a lot of home for the money. However,I am worried about safety in this area primarily. There's also a few considerations we've made that could affect resale value in the future...bad school district, lot's of short sales/bank owned properties within 5 mi, etc.

Does anyone live in this area? Had any problems?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:15 AM

I've always had the perception that Montgomery Village is not-so-nice. Have you thought about Germantown, Brian?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:31 AM

I work in montgomery village. A lot of montgomery village is low rent, minority populated, and high crime (relative to surrounding areas). There are a lot of "interesting" people walking around, the schools aren't very good, and I hear police sirens often.

I would recommend you to find a different area.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live there and it's not so bad!
There are VERY nice neighborhoods that people don't know even exist.

Plus it's a new community that was just build...I say go for it.
How much are you looking at, if not a secret?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=bighead,Mar 8 2009, 09:15 AM] I've always had the perception that Montgomery Village is not-so-nice.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:35 AM

its a decent area.

vandalism cant be avoided, however its just a luck thing. not saying youre always gonna be prone to vandalism and crime everywhere you go, but as far as rates there its a decent area.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:50 PM

If I were to raise a family I would strongly consider Olney, Columbia, Frederick too.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:46 PM

I live not too far from Montgomery Village. There's higher gang activity there than the surrounding areas, there is more crime, and while you do get a lot for your money, you sacrifice in security and environment.

Minorities don't bother me either - white people can be just as sketchy in this area.

I guess a major question is... Do you have kids? Do you want kids? When do you plan on having them? Are you going to send them to public school, or are you just looking at school districts for resale value?

Let me know if you have any specifics about certain areas... I know some of the outlying areas are better than others. Also, where else are you considering, and why?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the honest opinions. You guys know the area well from working or living there.

We don't have kids and don't plan to for next 5 years. I know we will take a hit on resale value because of the school district. We really wanted to find an old detached home in Rockville (West of the rail road tracks), but every time we find something nice in our price range there's always others bidding. Honestly, we wouldn't seriously consider this area if it was not for the 2 car garage, 2,500 SF living space, and being under $400K. My co-worker lives in the older part of Mont. Village and haven't had any problems and his neighbors seem very nice and watch out for each other.

My main concern is the safety of my wife. She's a high school teacher and leaves home around 5am and gets home before I do. I see running paths out of the development and want to know we can run it without much worries.

Hearing about gangs concentrated in this area is really worrying.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 701 Likes on 444 Posts

Yea mont villiage isn't the best area. I personally wouldn't live there. There is a reason the prices are so much lower. There has also been a bunch of stabbing deaths there recently. You may be able to find what you are looking for in Germantown, which for the most part is a much nicer area.

Quick Reply: How's The Montgomery Village Area?