Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Horrible noise from rear

Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 705 Likes on 411 Posts
Default Horrible noise from rear

So after I had my accident (spun off road and hit some reflector poles and went onto wet muddy grass last fall) I've had this horrible metal on metal grinding noise from my right rear when i go over dips and some bumps. It sounds like something rotating is grinding on something that is not. I had the body shop check it out numerous times, they could not find any sign of anything rubbing. Its gotten worse since the accident, now even smaller dips make the noise (its quieter though). I notice it most when I go into a dip that raises up quickly after (like a bad bridge joint on 295 right outside of baltimore).

At first I thought it was my coilovers (Megan track series... came with car most likely need to be rebuilt any way, but no money for it and i don't have my stock springs down here... they are at home in buffalo NY) but the more I hear it the more I doubt that assessment. I did work at a body shop for a few years, and inspected everything I could see but I being without a lift or any real method of raising the car, couldn't find anything. The body shop is EXTREMELY reputable up in buffalo and I trust them completely that they couldn't find anything. Back when it was happening less frequently, I took one of the body shop guys for a ride to try to replicate the noise, but we couldn't.

This is why I'm thinking that it may be some internal thing within the drive train or the suspension.

The reason why I'm posting this now is because I've been really busy at Hopkins and now that my first masters program semester is done I will have weekends free to try to figure this out.

I know its hard to assess without hearing the noise. So if anyone has a free weekend and would/could help me out, I'd really appreciate it and would be willing to make a drive to do so. I can't afford much when it comes to repairs on the car right now; we'll see how it goes after I get started with my internship this summer, but I REALLY want to figure out what this noise is. Its gotten to the point where I cringe and tense up on every single bump and if the top is up I almost need to cover my ears... its louder than my test piped full header back Megan drift spec exhaust (also came with car)...

I really just want to find out if its totally fubar'ing my car. if not great, I'll deal with the noise until I have money. If it is, I'll figure out how i can repair it.

Thanks in advance everyone. I know someone in the Mid-A will be able to help me. You guys always have solutions when it comes to the S, and if not you can point me in the direction of someone who does have the solution. I the support this community gives when it comes to the cars we love.

-Gil
Old 05-16-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I have stock springs and Evan has shocks we could throw them on there to see if it is indeed the coilovers.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Have you tried putting the car on 4 jack stands?

Remove the rear wheel and use a floor jack (carefully) to jack up the lower control arm.

Check the shock shaft for fluid?

The Megans have adjustable spring collars right?

My guess is those are not set right
Old 05-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

The Megans have 3 collars on them, it's possible the lower collar is loose.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by gfacter,May 17 2010, 04:54 PM
The Megans have 3 collars on them, it's possible the lower collar is loose.
No fluid on the shock shafts.

I have not had a chance to check those....I will definitely check them out as soon as i can thanks!

that is... if i had a place to do so

as soon as i find someone who could possibly lend me a driveway/jack stands/floor jack that will be the first steps i check i guess.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:35 PM

bump for a place to possibly put my car on some jack stands and take off my wheels?... only problem is i don't have a jack or stands... so i'd have to borrow those too

weekends work great for me... pretty flexible except for the weekend that Old Meets New is going on.

thanks all

Edit: forgot to mention, you will be compensated with either food, or beer, or both or w/e you want... unless its something naughty.. in which case i'd have to say no
Old 05-29-2010, 10:42 AM

Checked the collars on my coil overs... all are tight, i don't have resources anymore to try to reset them... sssssooooo I'll be bringing my car to a performance shop to get them looked at.... honda won't touch it because its aftermarket. Brad (9000revolutions) recommended orems garage on rt 40...

any other suggestions of a place around baltimore that does good work with suspension components?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:13 AM

SSSOOOO update. after getting my NYS inspection, there is NO visible source of the noise. after talking w/ the tech at Honda, we decided it may be related to the sway bar. I will be disconnecting the rear sway bar to see if the noise goes away. if not... it may be from the axle going into the diff...
Old 06-26-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you have any of the rear suspension parts replaced after the accident? I'm thinking one of the bushings got tweaked.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 9k_on_occasion,Jun 26 2010, 02:04 PM
Did you have any of the rear suspension parts replaced after the accident? I'm thinking one of the bushings got tweaked.
nope no suspension parts go replaced. i was thinking the bushings of the sway bar too after the tech mentioned it.

When i get back down to B'more i'll detach it and go from there. I just hope there isn't anything wrong with my Diff area.

I'm doin the 90K service soon (i'm at 93K) so we'll see what the diff fluid looks like when i get that done.

Quick Reply: Horrible noise from rear