Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Help, need things to do in and around Herndon

Old 06-28-2007, 11:35 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help, need things to do in and around Herndon

Hey guys!

Going down your way this upcoming holiday week for my niece's first birthday party. My wife, our 11mo baby and I will be flying down and will be staying at the springhill suites in Herndon, Va. and we'll have a rental car + GPS.

What's there to do down there on the weekends? No bars, clubs etc please. We're looking for family oriented things to do and places to eat.

Thought about Virginia Beach and Ocean City, but theyre both over 3 hours away!! Been to DC a couple times and by default we'll probably end up there a few times. But I cant stand the traffic in the capitol region! Dont mind driving a bit, as long as we keep it in about an hour range. My daughter gets stir crazy after a little bit in the car. Alexandria? Delaware? Maryland?

Oh, also - I've heard that there are a lot of Koreans down there. Lots of Koreans = good Korean food. Can you guys recommend some decent places to grab some eats?

Thanks!!
Brian
Old 06-28-2007, 11:48 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

The Herndon/Reston area is pretty nice. I would take the family to Reston Town Center there are quite a few restaurants and things to do. It seems Reston will be celebrating its 43rd birthday while you are in town and they are having a festival.

Check the events calendar. http://www.restontowncenter.com/

Also nearby is Great Falls if you'd like to get outside and enjoy the sweltering 90+ degree Virginia heat. You may have seen Poindexter's pics in the Photography forum from there. It's a pretty beautiful place. Bring you gear with you!

Sorry to say but with traffic you won't get very far in an hour...
Old 06-28-2007, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a Chuckie Cheese in Herndon.

Dulles Air and Space Museum

Leesburg Outlets

Dog parks?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:59 PM

Dulles Air and Space Museum x 2....

coming from someone that doesnt know anything about airplanes... it was still awesome!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:32 PM

I haven't been there, but I'm going to a friend's birthday dinner at HeeBeen in Annandale. It's supposed to be a great Korean BBQ Buffet http://www.heebeen.com/
Old 06-28-2007, 01:37 PM
bkw

Thanks guys! Keep em coming!

Where's a good place to catch the fireworks? Coworker said to get a hotel in Arlington with river views, but on such short notice most would be booked by now.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:58 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm going to suck it up and sit on the National Mall for the fireworks this year. I'm going to have to get there at about 1pm and camp out ALL DAY long.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Might be better for you to catch some local fireworks rather than try to get into/near DC, especially if you have a child with you. I also recommend the Dulles branch of the Air and Space Museum. It is close to where you will be staying and definitely worth a visit. Here's the link:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/udvarhazy/

Another Korean place recommended by the Post's food critic:

Annangol
4215 Annandale Center Dr., Annandale, VA 22003
703-914-4600

Old 06-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Here's a Herndon July 4th celebration for you:

HERNDON Wednesday at 6:30, entertainment, food vendors, children's activities; fireworks at 9:30. Bready Park, adjacent to Herndon Community Center, 814 Ferndale Ave. 703-787-7300.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:55 PM
bkw

Been here in Herndon/Reston for two days now and I think I've pretty much seen what I wanted to see. Went to Reston Town Center twice and ate at Clydes, ATR, picked up a slice of Chocorazzamataz cake from that Edibles place. Went to the Reston zoo and boy was that so not fun. Going to the Air & Space museum tomorrow then will head out to Arlington on Wednesday to check out the fireworks from my cousins office near the Mall.

Nice place you guys have here - lots of houses in developments that look alike, just what I imagined suburbia to be. This is definitely one of the places I'd consider if I were to raise a (large) family. Speaking of which, my cousins recently moved from the upper west side of Manhattan with their 4 children down to Herndon. Purchased a beautiful 5br with tons of land and inground pool for a fraction of their apartment in the city. Good schools, lovely neighborhood, etc.

Now for the S2000 sightings - Rio AP2, stock looking, but definitely had an intake, Comptech? Didnt sound like your typical AEM CAI type. Thinking the owner recently installed it as he kept pushing it from light to light to hear his motor. Dont remember the plate # but it was a "DST" type plate.

Quick Reply: Help, need things to do in and around Herndon