Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Heads UP

Old 06-21-2006, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4theheckof_it,Jun 20 2006, 05:26 PM
Smooth Operator program isn't a revenue generating thing. It's a Nationawide campaign by police dept.'s for traffic awareness and safety. During this period of time, police officer's will hand out tickets for the smallest of infractions i.e. following too closely, failure to yield, running yellow lights, etc. etc. Why? To make the public aware that what they are doing is an infraction. I guarantee you that the person that just received a summons for following to closely will watch it when they drive everyday to not follow closely again. Public awareness has been achieved.

Now getting to back to why I quoted Ryan on his comment. So you mean to tell me, police officer's writing tickets is not protecting and serving the community? Ok, then how would you like it if someone came speeding past your house doing mach 5 while you were backing out of your driveway? You don't want people to be speeding down YOUR street, but yet, you get upset when the police are out handing out tickets for infractions. And patrolling your neighborhoods? Do you see them go by your house at night? I doubt it because you're sound asleep in your bed because criminals are scared to break into YOUR house because they just saw a patrol car around the block, at night. Sometimes you don't see what the police do, however, they are there. If they weren't doing their job, trust me, I wouldn't be owning the car that we drive because I'd fear someone stealing it the next day. I'm sorry the police cannot appease you by sitting on the side of the highway and handing out summons. Try to be a police officer for one week and you tell me they don't have a hard job. When you're trying to appease brass by doing what they ask you to do, the public hates you. It's a no win situation with the police. You hate them when they are doing their job, but yet, you call and ask for them when you are in trouble. I'm sorry, but I didn't know the police are only there for when YOU call them. If you see it as harassment then don't drive. It's that simple. Solves that problem of getting tickets right? Yes, it sucks ass when you get a ticket, however, I'm sure 95% of the time you deserved it. If you didn't, then go to court, that's what they are for.

So now that you all know that the Smooth Operator Program is in effect and the police are going to be handing out tickets like it's going out of style, drive better. If you know you have illegal equipment on your car (like I do) then be prepared for the consequences because I am. Like the saying goes, you play, you pay. Don't complain about how the man is out to get you. You are out to get yourself. Only you can control what happens to yourself. If you were speeding 56 in a 55 and get a ticket, then by holy moly, you were freaking speeding, and you deserved it. Unfortunately, people drive around here like they own the road. Do I drive like an ass at times? Yes. And if I got a ticket for it then so be it. I deserved it. But I'm not going to sit here and complain that the police should be out looking for murderer's and rapists instead of giving out tickets. You know why? Because I was dumb enough to freaking speed in front of a police officer and got caught while he was on the way to look for that murderer or rapist that I wanted him to look for.

Alright, I'm gonna get off my soapbox now.

Peter

Good words, Pete. As much as I bitch about getting tickets, I usually deserve them. And if you're speeding in an S, your asking to get pulled. I got stopped in my neighborhood for doing 33mph in a 25mph zone. Cop didn't write me a ticket, but said to slow down next time. FFX Co cops and VA state troopers gotta be some of the harshest law enforcement officers in the nation. But then again, FFX County is also one of the safest counties in the US. And for being so close to DC, you know the cops are doing a good job.