Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Hardtop owners?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop owners?

I know this is kinda weird... but....

I would really like to check out a hardtop in person, except OEM, preferably "Mugen Style" before buying one. All I want is to check it out, see if all the hype is really worth it. I've seen pictures, but its something I would prefer to see.

I am down in Fredericksburg.

Thanks,
Colby
Old 06-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Personal opinion, but I haven't heard any 'hype' on replica Mugen hardtops beyond complaints of ill-fitting parts and poor rubbing moldings.

If you're going to spend ~1200 or so for a replica, why not just save up an extra $800 and buy an OEM one that IS worth the hype?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Personal opinion, but I haven't heard any 'hype' on replica Mugen hardtops beyond complaints of ill-fitting parts and poor rubbing moldings.

If you're going to spend ~1200 or so for a replica, why not just save up an extra $800 and buy an OEM one that IS worth the hype?
Good point.

I've had 1 mugen, and two oem's. Nothing fits like oem.

However, Mugen style replica's have come a long way. The majority of complaints i've noticed are from Chaser.

Other tops out there such as the ones from VIS, or Superslow have been fitting damn near perfectly with upgraded seals ect.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by HMFIC
Good point.

However, Mugen style replica's have come a long way. The majority of complaints i've noticed are from Chaser.

Other tops out there such as the ones from VIS, or Superslow have been fitting damn near perfectly with upgraded seals ect.
Agreed

I wasn't trying to misrepresent them, but I think most - even VIS, Chaser, ExtremeDimensions, etc all come with subpar seals and the hardware could be better. Upgrading to Izzy brackets or OEM and replacing the seals with better ones would probably net you a better overall fit. The little production flaws (raised/uneven corners) could be dealt with. I mulled it over for awhile too and decided against getting something that was a 8/10. I also did not like the lack of an interior/finish to the underside of the hardtops.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:40 PM

I had a Chaser top...HORRIBLE. Like everyone else said- don't waste your money.

I now have an authentic Mugen top and love it
Old 06-28-2011, 06:41 PM

Because $800 more is 3200 chicken nuggets lol I agree though. But for some ppl $800 is life decision
Old 06-28-2011, 06:41 PM

I had a Chaser top...HORRIBLE. Like everyone else said- don't waste your money.

I now have an authentic Mugen top and love it
Old 06-28-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by kbsoo85
Because $800 more is 3200 chicken nuggets lol I agree though. But for some ppl $800 is life decision
Haha, I can't argue against chicken nuggets - especially with the new spicy buffalo sauce

I am more of a 'Do it once, do it right' guy and am up for saving until I can get exactly the item I want without settling on something else. Hardtop was my first purchase I made for the S and absolutely love it. I mean what happens if you get a replica Mugen then decide you don't like it and want an OEM or something else? You are only going to recoup a % of what you spent on the hardware and paint
Old 06-29-2011, 03:28 AM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by HMFIC' timestamp='1309302934' post='20729018
Good point.

Agreed

I wasn't trying to misrepresent them, but I think most - even VIS, Chaser, ExtremeDimensions, etc all come with subpar seals and the hardware could be better. Upgrading to Izzy brackets or OEM and replacing the seals with better ones would probably net you a better overall fit. The little production flaws (raised/uneven corners) could be dealt with. I mulled it over for awhile too and decided against getting something that was a 8/10. I also did not like the lack of an interior/finish to the underside of the hardtops.
Eggzachary. The underside isn't much to look at, that's for sure.

With my current setup, oem wouldn't look right, otherwise, i'd be with another one.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Honestly, OEM is the only way to go. The biggest perks... Fit and finish, and the finished interior is great.

I'm just beating a dead horse though.

Quick Reply: Hardtop owners?