Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Ground Control complete coilover kit

Old 04-26-2011, 05:24 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Ground Control complete coilover kit

Has anyone run the ground control coilovers with the 550 spring rates? One of the s2000's I test drove when I bought mine had GC coilovers on it already but I'm about 99% sure they weren't the 550 spring rates. I think the standard that most get is the 440/380 combo or 380/380. My last s2000 was running almost 700lb springs and those were out of the cheaper $1000 coilover bucket and I didn't really have any complaints. I think a better quality shock like the Koni yellow plus slightly softer rates should leave me with a coilover that will ride nice. I know a lot of guys have just bought the Koni yellows and the GC sleeves and made their own using stock tophats but these GC ones provide for a little extra travel which is a must for at the ride height I want.

Am I going to be happy with these or wish I spent the extra on something nicer? I prefer the higher rates so the 440 or 380 rates are out of the question for me.

I hate to say it but my only other concern is that I won't be able to run the car as low as I'd like. I'm not trying to slam it but I'm definitely looking to go probably 2-ish inches lower than stock. Whatever my last s2000 was is exactly what I want. See below

Discuss!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ask Pete for a ride in the KWs?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:19 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

I have the Koni Yellow / Ground Controls at 450/550 spring rates. They aren't on the car, yet. Will be installing this weekend if you want to come up to the Woodbridge area.

Or, are they 450/500, Chip?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 AM

Received 419 Likes on 240 Posts

450/500 550lb is at the max or just above for koni yellows. The ride will be stiff but shouldnt be harsh. And you will be able to lower it as much as you want. I would recommend them. I was running the OEM top hats though but i was only running an .75-1 inch lower.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by 9k_on_occasion
Ask Pete for a ride in the KWs?
I've ridden in both his car and Kitt's. Kitt has V2's and Pete has V3's. Both rode nice but the V3's a bit smoother. I would prefer to buy them honestly but at $1900-2000ish for V3's vs $1300 for the GC's it's a harder pill to swallow.

Plus I can buy more parts with that extra $700. I was planning on keeping the factory seat for quite some time and just getting the BYS rail but I absolutely loved that Recaro I had in my old s2k. It completely transformed driving that car in a good way.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by e3opian
I have the Koni Yellow / Ground Controls at 450/550 spring rates. They aren't on the car, yet. Will be installing this weekend if you want to come up to the Woodbridge area.

Or, are they 450/500, Chip?

I might have to take you up on that in the near future.

Originally Posted by Gigdy
450/500 550lb is at the max or just above for koni yellows. The ride will be stiff but shouldnt be harsh. And you will be able to lower it as much as you want. I would recommend them. I was running the OEM top hats though but i was only running an .75-1 inch lower.
I'm aware 550 is at the max of the yellows. I've asked several people and have been told they'll be ok. I've also seen lots of other running different makes of cars say they've gotten away with even higher rates and haven't had too much trouble. I might actually try for 550 front/500 rear.

I also really like that if I really wanted down the road I could have them rebuilt as double adjustable. I know that won't be cheap but it'll still be an option.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the konis in the GC coilovers off the shelf koni yellows, or are they valved by GC to match the spring rates? I'm considering this kit as well, but I may go with truechoice/koni since they do custom valving for the S2000. I think their kits run in the $1600-$2,000 range depending on what you want. http://www.truechoicekoniracingservices.com/
Steve, I've gathered from your posts that you're interested in autocrossing. FWIW, a lot of the STR guys are running around 100lbs. more up front than in the rear, so a 550f/450r might be the way to go. I'm only on about page 80 of the giant STR thread, so I'm not sure what the final word is. A lot of it seems to be personal preference and driving style.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy Roadster
Are the konis in the GC coilovers off the shelf koni yellows, or are they valved by GC to match the spring rates? I'm considering this kit as well, but I may go with truechoice/koni since they do custom valving for the S2000. I think their kits run in the $1600-$2,000 range depending on what you want. http://www.truechoicekoniracingservices.com/
Steve, I've gathered from your posts that you're interested in autocrossing. FWIW, a lot of the STR guys are running around 100lbs. more up front than in the rear, so a 550f/450r might be the way to go. I'm only on about page 80 of the giant STR thread, so I'm not sure what the final word is. A lot of it seems to be personal preference and driving style.

The GC kit is just off the shelf yellows. I actually called them to verify. Basically it's a put together package so you can bolt on and go. Their tops are nicer than factory plus add a little suspension travel over using factory tops which is a huge plus to me especially as someone that likes to run the car reasonably low.

I was very happy with my previous setup which was the same rates front and rear so I'm going to start there. I'd rather keep the 550 out back and if anything go higher up front but that will put me out of what the yellows are known to support so I'd likely kill the shocks fast or it'll just ride like crap.

I've looked at the truechoice link before as well. If I have to spend in the $1600-2000 range I'd honestly rather just buy the KWs. I don't mind running the off the shelf setup now and then having them rebuilt for stiffer springs down the road. It's all about how much I have to spend right now.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

why not just get the fortunes with the swift springs?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:54 AM

If I'm spending that much I'm just buying KW's. They are a bit pricey for something that in my opinion isn't proven. I was pretty happy with the fortunes I used to have on my old s2k but after having those KW's on the Sti I'm having a hard time not going with something I know is more proven. I know the fortunes can ride just as nice but I think to accomplish that I'll have to go down on spring rate which I don't really want to do. I haven't quite made up my mind yet so nothing is set in stone.

Now if Terry tells me he'll keep revalving them until I think they are perfect then I'll definitely play ball.

Quick Reply: Ground Control complete coilover kit