Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Got in an accident last night

Old 01-17-2006, 03:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,971 Likes on 1,757 Posts

Ouch...that is painful. Looks expensive to fix, too, unfortunately. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2006, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a call from the shop with the estimate. $5058 which includes a new door, fender, side mirror, etc. Apparently they will be able to fix the front and rear bumpers so I will not be getting a new lip, although they will repaint it. Luckily the frame was not affected at all. That was my main concern as I know the car would probably not feel the same with a retouched frame. Also, I will be getting a new left front tire and rim as it looks like they were also affected by the curb impact.

Insurance will take of everything apart from my collision deductible. Also, they mentioned I need to pay an extra $36 since they will be replacing the tire with a brand new one as mine had already 8,000 miles on it. That sounded a bit weird.

Thanks Pete for the checking the top advice. I told them to double check that as they had not done so. They will let me know in case the top needs to be aligned.

If everything goes well I will have my baby back by the end of the month.

Thanks all for the good wishes
Old 01-17-2006, 05:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by schillacci,Jan 17 2006, 09:19 AM
Insurance will take of everything apart from my collision deductible. Also, they mentioned I need to pay an extra $36 since they will be replacing the tire with a brand new one as mine had already 8,000 miles on it. That sounded a bit weird.
This is normal. My only concern is that replacing only one tire is not normally a good practice. At minimum, I'd replace both front tires. Replacing only one could cause the car to pull to one side even after an alignment because of one tire being "flat" and the other already showing signs of inner wear.

And rear bumper probably can be buffed out no problem. The front, however, I'm a little skeptical. Hard to tell how much has been ground down.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure how you'd feel about this, but you can approach the body shop and ask is they mind if you supply the parts. If they are not opposed, contact Hardtopguy. His prices are below what you are being quoted. I'd be willing to bet that the door is listed at about $500. I think I got mine for around $375 on two different occasions. Not sure what your deductible is, but you could save a couple hundred dollars going this route.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Jan 17 2006, 10:01 AM
Not sure how you'd feel about this, but you can approach the body shop and ask is they mind if you supply the parts. If they are not opposed, contact Hardtopguy. His prices are below what you are being quoted. I'd be willing to bet that the door is listed at about $500. I think I got mine for around $375 on two different occasions. Not sure what your deductible is, but you could save a couple hundred dollars going this route.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:07 AM

Thank you Skip for the great advice. Those are things I did not think about. I will definitely point out that both front tires should be replaced. I am not sure if the insurance will be covering the right tire but even if they don't I think I will be buying one. It does not make any sense to have just a new tire.

As for getting the parts myself I will also check if that's a possibility. The only issue I can see is that the insurance is dealing directly with the shop and all payments will go directly to the shop, not to me. In any case I will point it out and see what they say.

Thanks again guys!
Old 01-17-2006, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How badly is the tire damaged? In my case there were some slight scratches on it - by the book, they had to replace it but I elected to just take the money for it... and by now the scratches are gone because the tire is more worn.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:14 AM

The tire has a small dent in the rubber. I did not think it had to be replaced but they mentioned it would not be safe to drive with a semi-hole in it. Also, I did not think the scratch in the rim was that bad, but they will be getting a new one. Here is a pic of the left front tire. You can't see the tire damage but the hole is there. I would say is a 1 inch hole into the rubber.

Now I also wondering what will the do with the old rim. As I don't think is that bad I was thinking in keeping it. Is that the possible here in the Us to keep the old parts they will be replacing with new ones?
Old 01-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I would just ask to bodyshop to see if you can still have the wheel.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely would replace that tire - mine was just a few scratches...

Quick Reply: Got in an accident last night