Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

gas prices goin crazy

Old 09-01-2005, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anybody else notice a 20-30+cent jump overnight?
Old 09-01-2005, 05:55 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The cheapest I saw last night on the wauy home was $2.79 for regular unleaded.

Actually, I love the fact that all the people in this part of the country are being hit with high gas prices. I drive I-95 everyday. I see huge SUV's with single occupants doing 85 mph. I'm loving it! Maybe now they'll 1) drive like they don't own the road and 2) perhaps use a properly sized vehicle for the task.

Presidents don't determine the gluttonness of the people. We are a wasteful society in general. We do not respect and appreciate all that we have. Perhaps this will serve as a wake-up call... but I doubt it.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Aug 31 2005, 02:08 PM
And Warren, having Kerry in office would not mean lower gasoline prices. You know that.
I don't have time to get into this right now, but I think one reason OPEC riased the prices is because we're (the US) is in Iraq. Who do you think put us there???

OPEC jacking up the price allowed the gas companies to tack on an extra several cents (who knows how much, but let's say 10 cents per gallon) and blame it on OPEC. And do you think Bush cares? Hell no, he's buddy buddy w/ the gas companies.

Okay, my opinion, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

I too hope this will change people's habits too, but like Skip, I doubt it.

I for one am changing my driving habits. I'm working from home more, taking the subway more, trying to find ways to drive less. I shop around more on line before I go to buy something (I think we'll also see a rise in online spending by consumers). I call a store to make sure they have the item in stock, I won't waste $3+/gal gas running all over town looking for something like I used to.

I'm also thinking of shutting off the engine at stop lights in an effore to save gas, though I don't know if it really will or what the short term and long term effects of that would be on the engine. Anyone know?

Warren
Old 09-01-2005, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We still pay close to half compared to what Europeans pay for gas.

Ask me we should have been paying $4 per gallon for years now. As long as the consumer is willing to spend $ on power and not fuel economy, the auto makers won't design more fuel efficient mid-sized cars.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by WarrenW,Sep 1 2005, 09:09 AM
I don't have time to get into this right now, but I think one reason OPEC riased the prices is because we're (the US) is in Iraq. Who do you think put us there???

OPEC jacking up the price allowed the gas companies to tack on an extra several cents (who knows how much, but let's say 10 cents per gallon) and blame it on OPEC. And do you think Bush cares? Hell no, he's buddy buddy w/ the gas companies.

Okay, my opinion, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

I too hope this will change people's habits too, but like Skip, I doubt it.

I for one am changing my driving habits. I'm working from home more, taking the subway more, trying to find ways to drive less. I shop around more on line before I go to buy something (I think we'll also see a rise in online spending by consumers). I call a store to make sure they have the item in stock, I won't waste $3+/gal gas running all over town looking for something like I used to.

I'm also thinking of shutting off the engine at stop lights in an effore to save gas, though I don't know if it really will or what the short term and long term effects of that would be on the engine. Anyone know?

Warren
Warren, I have no doubt that we are paying for our involvement in the Middle East. Nor do I mind. But this latest jump really has little to do with that.

It's just too simple to blame one man for all things that people don't like just as it is waaaaay wrong to give Clinton credit for the era of economic boom spurred on by technology(which he had nothing to do with) and questionable bookkeeping practices of many large businesses, not just Enron.

Do I believe everything I see/read/hear? Nope, but I definitely feel safer with the existing administration than perhaps with another. Facts are that at some point, all things come to a head. And my opinion as pertains to our society's continued downward spiral is that the morals and ethics that were patterned after our forefathers have been so readily dismissed to the whims of the few. Whether folks like it or not, our country grew strong on the backs of hard workers, religion, and a land that was self-sufficient.

But just because we have differing opinions, doesn't mean we can't be friends. BTW, Warren is still a good guy.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by WarrenW,Sep 1 2005, 09:09 AM

Warren
DO NOT DO THAT!

Even though the oil will not have had time to find its lowest point that quickly because of its properties, it is still hard on the car. You're better off just leaving it run.

Also, have you ever read Isaac Asimov's science fiction books? I fear the day of reclusiveness is not too terribly far in the future. Events like the ones we're experiencing now- some nature-induced/some manmade- will eventually drive us to be socially introverted(or is it intraverted? no dictionary close by).

This is why the "Happy Hour" will have to be revisited!!!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Sep 1 2005, 05:55 AM
The cheapest I saw last night on the wauy home was $2.79 for regular unleaded.

Actually, I love the fact that all the people in this part of the country are being hit with high gas prices. I drive I-95 everyday. I see huge SUV's with single occupants doing 85 mph. I'm loving it! Maybe now they'll 1) drive like they don't own the road and 2) perhaps use a properly sized vehicle for the task.

Presidents don't determine the gluttonness of the people. We are a wasteful society in general. We do not respect and appreciate all that we have. Perhaps this will serve as a wake-up call... but I doubt it.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:33 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by vvtli78k,Aug 30 2005, 07:46 PM
wawa on minnieville rd went from 2.51 to 2.89 on regular in half a day today
I live near there! I fill up there all the time on my way to 95.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to feel lucky that when I would fill up my car by where i work in Warrenton. Mobile premium was $2.60. Even when the prices were bad a week ago. So I havent had to fill up in Fairfax for a while. Out in Warrenton it was 2.60 on Tuesday, 2.70 on Tuesday, and 2.99 Wed morning and then 3.17 Wed Night!!!
Gas rose almost 50-60 cents in 24 hours

Just talked to my Mom in Alexandria and she said regular was 3.70 when she filled up this morning. That puts premium at 4$ and she saw on the news that it was going for 6$ in Atlanta.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:32 AM

Just drove on base... $2.65 for regular unleaded!

Now who'dathunkit... that'd I'd be happy with $2.65?!

Quick Reply: gas prices goin crazy