Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Front License Plate ticket in DC

Old 09-21-2004, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with GFacter - Don't take your S into the city. Too much of a beating on that poor little car and I can't imagine dealing with the bumpy ride. Get a beater, or look into getting Rick's front license plate holder (around $30 I think).

I have been riding around for almost a year now in Montgomery County without a front tag and haven't been hassled by the man. Knock on wood!

~ Matt
Old 09-21-2004, 04:08 PM

I too have gotten a no-front-tag ticket in DC on my MD-registered car. I've always questioned DC's authority to ticket a vehicle registered in another jurisdiction for violating that other jurisdiction's statutes, but nobody has ever answered this question. As some have pointed out, it's probably not worth fighting though. I, for one, will not park on the street anymore and park only in garages and private lots--sadly it's worth the extra cost.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by blue03s2k,Sep 21 2004, 04:44 PM
you can also contest the ticket by mail... you should call and ask them questions about that... just take a picture of yoru car with the tag on it.. and send it in with a letter.... they should throw it out..
ok that quote right there makes no sense.. in all my years in law enforcement, I have never seen anyone mail in a picture with their tag on the front and have the ticket dropped... That's like saying if you are to show up for a spousal abuse case and you send in a pic with you hugging and kissing your wife, instead of showing up and it'll be dropped! I don't think so....

S2kterpnut.. if you have any questions about jurisdictional law you can ask me anytime. Been through one police academy and one federal academy..

Peter
Old 09-21-2004, 10:42 PM

if you read the back of the parking tickets in dc, it says you can contest the ticket by mail. you have to write out your defense and submit all the evidence... so the evidence would be the picture of the front tag on the car.... just claim that you had it on there, and the meter maid overlooked it...
Old 09-22-2004, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by blue03s2k,Sep 22 2004, 01:42 AM
if you read the back of the parking tickets in dc, it says you can contest the ticket by mail. you have to write out your defense and submit all the evidence... so the evidence would be the picture of the front tag on the car.... just claim that you had it on there, and the meter maid overlooked it...
If you read the sub sections of dc parking codes, the terms that you can contest it by mail is meant to mean you can send your reply to the courts that you will be contesting the violations so that the courts know to send you a court date... contesting the charge by mail does not mean that you will hold court over snail mail.. it just simply states that if you think you are not guilty of this violation, then send in this violation to the courts stating you are contesting the violation, you still have to show up for court.

Peter
Old 09-22-2004, 05:57 AM

I got same ticket, two at one time, expired meter and no front tag..why do DC care, I am in MD...stupid meter man..looks like they hired more meter maid and I see more tickets on the cars lately..I still did not pay..it went up to $160 for both..

don;t bother to argue with DC DMV..never win and not worth your time.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by searchfordeal,Sep 22 2004, 09:57 AM
don't bother to argue with DC DMV..never win and not worth your time.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4theheckof_it,Sep 20 2004, 03:35 PM
As far as I know.. DC cannot enforce their laws on other states licensed vehicles. You can always go to court and fight it, but in the end, they already towed your car on the day of violation and you are going to go through the hassle of fighting it anyways. Even though you are gonna win in court, I am not sure if they would even refund the tow charge.

Peter
I agree with Peter. I would fight it just on principle. Sure, you have to take some time off, but you have a chance to put those DC parking a$$holes in their place.

I had a ticket for not having current registration on my truck one time. The DC parkign Nazis were too lazy to look up to see the temporary registration in the back window...AS THE STATE OF MARYLAND SUGGESTED! I wished I had fought it too. Those F**king bastards.
Warren
Old 10-05-2004, 05:31 PM

back when i was a student and full of piss & vinegar, I fought DC parking tix, including a no front plate ticket (virginia car), tow requested!

they were very nasty, and the order of the day was to cut the gine in half. So $20 tickets became $10, etc. The fighting took place at 65 k st., n.e..... just off north capital street. i wouldn't park a nice car there for very long, though the neighborhood has improved some.