Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Even when not being driven, PrincesS gets hurt

Old 05-14-2007, 12:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Even when not being driven, PrincesS gets hurt

The story is somewhere in the HAW. Found it:

Truncated version: returning from Custom Car Care in NN traveling westbound on I-64. Just before the entrance onto I-295 is a weigh station. In the distance I saw brake light in both lanes. I apply the brakes and then cover them. Well, the brake lights weren't just for slowing down- cars began stopping. On the brakes I was! Trailer locks up and the I realize there is no way I'm stopping before plowing into the car in front of me. He would have then been thrown into the car in front of him and so on.

I release the brake momentarily to gain better steering control and head onto the left shoulder. I miss the vehicle in front of me(who stops to make sure I'm ok and thanks me for somehow missing him). I'm still trying to slow the tandem, but the grass is tall and still holding moisture. The trailer waggles a bit and almost sends me back into traffic. I avoid the left lane traffic, but in doing so, the very back tip of the trailer(28') barely scratches a Volvo- estimated cost to repair by State Police = $200.

The median on I-64 is a steep ditch with trees in the middle. I was unable to keep the truck/trailer from sliding farther down into it. I eventually was stopped by a tree impacting the driver's front side. Bumper, fender, hood, door, suspension, and cooling systems(oil, engine, and tranny coolers) are minimum affected areas on the truck. Tranny was stuck in gear.

The trailer's front driver side is bent upward and inward. After the car straps broke(2 of them), the car went forward and to the left, plowing into the side. Both front fenders are slightly buckled, bumper cracked and scraped. The steering wheel now rests at 11-n-5 to go straight(versus 9-n-3). The piece between the steering wheel and the dash is cockeyed and resting at approximately 8-n-2 versus 9-n-3. Not sure what else is wrong.

I ended up having to drive the S home on r-comps and the wing way to steep. Headed into Allstate soon. The state trooper wrote me up for "following too closely" instead of "failure to control vehicle." This saved me a reckless charge. I saw the written statement by the Volvo driver and it jives with mine. The police said he opted to write me the lesser of the charges because I averted causing a major pile-up.

I took pics at the scene with the camera phone, but these pics are after the fact:

Old 05-14-2007, 12:29 PM

Old 05-14-2007, 12:30 PM

Old 05-14-2007, 12:31 PM

Last picture you can't see the "spidering" of the paint at the corner of the headlight.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OUCH! That truck had to be really moving to do that much damage to his truck, the trailer, and your S. DAMN!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by bcohan,May 14 2007, 04:32 PM
OUCH! That truck had to be really moving to do that much damage to his truck, the trailer, and your S. DAMN!!!
Not really too fast- airbag didn't deploy. I scrubbed off a fair amount of speed. I did not hit the steering wheel. The total weight of the vehicles/trailer, however, is quite a bit. The car weighed 2640lbs. The trailer is about 4500-5000lbs. The truck is whatever a V10 extended cab, long bed weighs.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, Skip. Glad you're ok!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-14-2007, 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=SC_Highlander,May 14 2007, 04:42 PM] Damn, Skip.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow Skip. I thought you just had a slight fender-bender. Didn't think it was that bad. Glad to see that you are okay.

Is the truck totalled? If so, really sorry to hear it. I know it ment a lot to you.

Quick Reply: Even when not being driven, PrincesS gets hurt