Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

"Educational Drive" -- Rescheduled...From Goochland to Mechanicsville -- Sun Aug 24th

Old 08-17-2003, 03:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Same effort as before...but rescheduled now for Sunday August 24th. Meeting at the Shell station / Bill's Barbeque west of Richmond on Rt 250 (basically same area as Bungalow Grill...but because the Grill ain't open on Sundays we'll gnaw on some vittles here). This Shell station has a Bills Bar-b-Q inside. Now, let's hope Mo Nature don't interfere

I believe anyone will respect that the S2000 is not a "jump in and go!" kinda sports car for a new/inexperienced owner. As such, it dawned on me recently that it could be a great idea to offer "a more moderately paced" drive for owners that wish to take some time with other S2000 owners to learn a little bit about the handling characteristics of their S2000...without the "pressure" of participating in a drive with more experienced (perhaps to better say, more "aggressive"?) drivers. And as everything in life is about learning through practice...I thought it would be nice to put on an "Educational Drive" for those that would like to participate.

So what is...and what isn't...an "Educational Drive"? My thoughts are that such a drive:
  • is an opportunity for inexperienced drivers to put their car through a road course without pressure.
  • is an opportunity for longer-term owners that just don't like to drive too fast to appreciate a nice drive.
  • is an opportunity for all participants to learn how to read certain characteristics of roads/drives.
  • is an opportunity to discover "how to think" when driving together during a group meet.
  • isn't the best idea for folks that like to drive like a bat-outta-hell. This will be a learning drive...and a moderate drive at that.

If the purpose of this drive interests you, and you are available to participate on Saturday Aug 16th, please speak up !!!

List of participants:
  • brerspidur +1 [possible maybe]
  • Dave22
  • KAMcDonald
  • LT'S S2K [possible maybe]
  • Luft46
  • Q Love
  • tesseract
  • w1ngman

Place to meet: Shell Station / Bill's Barbeque -- 45 Broad Street Road Manakin-Sabot, VA 23103 Here's a MAP (Zoom out once or twice on the map and you'll see its relationship to I-64 which is west of I-295 & west of Richmond).

Day to meet: Sunday, August 24th

Time to meet: noon to Eat...1pm to Drive

Please expect this drive/meet to last ~ 4 hours from start (meal) to finish. Also, remember to bring along an FRS radio if you have one.

Just as a landmark for where we'll END Sunday...for departure's sake back to each of our own lovely homes...use Lee Davis High School's addy below for "reverse directions" back home Sunday evening:

7052 Mechanicsville Turnpike
Mechanicsville, VA 23111

What else ... OH YEAH! See everyone Sunday at The Shell Station/ Bill's Barbeque at noon

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-17-2003, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm... i may be faster, but as it will only be 3 days old, i might consider joining since i need to get used to it. of course that implies no clouds/chance of rain anywhere close.

keith
Old 08-17-2003, 07:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KAMcDonald
[B]hmmmm...
Old 08-17-2003, 08:14 PM

I'm in too. Let's hope it works this time
KAM...will you be giving rides? I've got a shiny quarter for a ride
Old 08-18-2003, 03:06 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

Have to say I'm a maybe -- my +1 has other plans, so I'm not sure yet.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:07 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

P. S. However, if Kam is giving rides, I will be there!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 04:37 AM

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, I want a ride in the Modena!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 05:08 AM

I'm a maybe as well...we'll see what's up this w/e!
Old 08-18-2003, 05:12 AM

of course, what you refer to as the "R" word is actually expanded to any and all inclement weather patterns. if you really believe that saying something makes it happen we would all have super hot blondes, brunettes or redheads (well, maybe all three) significant others at our sides instead of having to compensate for lack of companionship with things like hot cars.

a quarter for a ride? that does not even cover the cost of popping the trunk lid to look at the engine. DANG! the silly thing has a window over the engine, so guess that look would have to be free... looks like i would have to charge double for rides to make up for that lost revenue.

keith
Old 08-18-2003, 07:10 AM

I'll take another possible maybe (sorry, best I can do. I really want to but depends what my new girl wants to do. BTW this is my fifth new girl in past 2 months, and she maybe a keeper, esp. if she agrees to go to this event w/ me)

And, what is this I hear about a Modena??? Got it, just read it in the sig. No insurance yet? Yeah, if I were to get a Modena, I probably would have to pay more for the insurance than the car payment.

Quick Reply: "Educational Drive" -- Rescheduled...From Goochland to Mechanicsville -- Sun Aug 24th