Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Does complaining about a police officer actually do anything?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does complaining about a police officer actually do anything?

Reason I ask is because the way the officers acted while I was pulled over was INSANE!!! Wondering if I go to the court house and complain if it will help when the judge hears our stories and I mention that they were dicks and mention that I came in and complained that following day.

A racing ticket?!?! for real...RACING?

It's Sunday around 9:00PM had to run to the store to get a few things so I decide to take the S and cruise around town for a few minutes.... I'm coming up to a stop light and there is two lowered/modified Hondas in the right lane already stopped at the red light (OK, THIS IS WHEN I BE A RICER.... Knowing that the light is about to turn green I slow down so i don't have to come to a complete stop... i'm at like a 5mph roll when it turns green so i give it just enough gas so the blow off valve goes off right as i'm passing the cars. I know i know very ricer and just dumb but thats besides the point. I was in first gear, didn't even hit VTEC so i know i didn't go over the 35mph speed limit or spin the tires or anything. Next thing I know sirens and lights come speeding behind me. Two cop cars, i pull over. **just so you can get a picture in your head- GPW AP1 with ap2 wheels, slammed, mugen hardtop, dual magnaflow mufflers that obviously arn't stock but look very clean, no dents, and car was washed earlier that day** 2 young guys get out and come walking up, the guy coming to the driver side yells "SHUT IT DOWN!!! SHUT. IT. DOWN." he didn't need to repeat him self, or yell that loud considering he's 6 feet from my window. Ask for my license/registration, i already had it ready. Then asks for proof of insurance. Just my luck it's not in my car. The officer on the passenger side ask's how much i've had to drink....i say in a smart ass voice, um none? and kinda gave him a dumb look...the officer asks if i knew why i was being pulled over, before i could answer he asks if i knew the guys i was racing. I said "racing???" ..."yes racing!" at this point i'm pissed and just blurted out "dude, seriously, racing??" Needless to say they didn't like the word dude. And i shouldn't have said it...but my mind was on the fact that they said racing. ......he makes me read his badge, and tells me to have respect, from here on out it goes on and on them just saying ignorant and smartass things saying they saw me racing from a stop light, and called me a liar when i explained that the light was green before i even got close to stopping, blah blah blah....
So after about 20 mins, i sign the racing ticket. I ask for the other officers name/badge # he smartassingly pulls out a notepad and writes it down, i ask if either car was equipped with a camera, which they weren't and while im asking if they had the device in there uniforms that records the coversation he cuts me off and says "no, your not gonna ask questions, you have a court date deal with it then. Have a nice night" while he smiles at the other officer.

I normally would just pay a ticket and forget about it reguardless of how the officer acted but in this case I have to get out of this street racing ticket. I'll do anything to make it look better on my half. What do you guys suggest?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by H4RD ON
Reason I ask is because the way the officers acted while I was pulled over was INSANE!!! Wondering if I go to the court house and complain if it will help when the judge hears our stories and I mention that they were dicks and mention that I came in and complained that following day.

A racing ticket?!?! for real...RACING?

It's Sunday around 9:00PM had to run to the store to get a few things so I decide to take the S and cruise around town for a few minutes.... I'm coming up to a stop light and there is two lowered/modified Hondas in the right lane already stopped at the red light (OK, THIS IS WHEN I BE A RICER.... Knowing that the light is about to turn green I slow down so i don't have to come to a complete stop... i'm at like a 5mph roll when it turns green so i give it just enough gas so the blow off valve goes off right as i'm passing the cars. I know i know very ricer and just dumb but thats besides the point. I was in first gear, didn't even hit VTEC so i know i didn't go over the 35mph speed limit or spin the tires or anything. Next thing I know sirens and lights come speeding behind me. Two cop cars, i pull over. **just so you can get a picture in your head- GPW AP1 with ap2 wheels, slammed, mugen hardtop, dual magnaflow mufflers that obviously arn't stock but look very clean, no dents, and car was washed earlier that day** 2 young guys get out and come walking up, the guy coming to the driver side yells "SHUT IT DOWN!!! SHUT. IT. DOWN." he didn't need to repeat him self, or yell that loud considering he's 6 feet from my window. Ask for my license/registration, i already had it ready. Then asks for proof of insurance. Just my luck it's not in my car. The officer on the passenger side ask's how much i've had to drink....i say in a smart ass voice, um none? and kinda gave him a dumb look...the officer asks if i knew why i was being pulled over, before i could answer he asks if i knew the guys i was racing. I said "racing???" ..."yes racing!" at this point i'm pissed and just blurted out "dude, seriously, racing??" Needless to say they didn't like the word dude. And i shouldn't have said it...but my mind was on the fact that they said racing. ......he makes me read his badge, and tells me to have respect, from here on out it goes on and on them just saying ignorant and smartass things saying they saw me racing from a stop light, and called me a liar when i explained that the light was green before i even got close to stopping, blah blah blah....
So after about 20 mins, i sign the racing ticket. I ask for the other officers name/badge # he smartassingly pulls out a notepad and writes it down, i ask if either car was equipped with a camera, which they weren't and while im asking if they had the device in there uniforms that records the coversation he cuts me off and says "no, your not gonna ask questions, you have a court date deal with it then. Have a nice night" while he smiles at the other officer.

I normally would just pay a ticket and forget about it reguardless of how the officer acted but in this case I have to get out of this street racing ticket. I'll do anything to make it look better on my half. What do you guys suggest?
Go to court, explain everything in a civil and professional manner. Don't call the judge "Dude". It's your word against the police and the system, hard to beat unless you hire a $$ lawyer.

Hope for the best. How many points is the ticket?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you feel this strongly about it, getting legal advice from a good traffic lawyer will be your best bet, good luck!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best advice I can give you or anyone ever arrested for anything is: DON'T TALK TO THE POLICE. You didn't incriminate yourself or anything in this case, but talking to police literally does no good whatsoever. Being pulled over / given a citation / getting arrested is not a conviction and it does not necessarily mean you're guilty of anything.

For your next step I would hire a lawyer (where did this happen by the way?) it'll be somewhere between $200-400, one time fee. And I'm almost certain they will be able to reduce the charge down to nothing or next to nothing.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:58 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

It's not going to help you in Court to complain about the officer. You should have a complaint on file and already going through the process before your date. Lawyer up and get him to help you with this. I know you need to vent but no one here is really qualified to give you real advice. You don't mention where the ticket was, but in Prince William it's automatic 5 days in jail for racing. Good luck...
Old 07-18-2011, 06:05 AM

Racing is serious offense here in VA so like everyone is saying, lawyer up. PM me know if you need a recommendation.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Virginia is the worst state ever. I hate living here. The only reason I am here is because there's bunch of jobs. There's too many people, too many cops. In FL it was much more laid back. Sorry I wanted to vent too.

But anyways, I would just say how the light turned green and you accelerated...you can't help if you have a fast car and accelerate faster than most. If they didn't get you for speeding (i.e. didn't write you up for going over the limit), there's really no way they can prove anything. I wouldn't even mention the Civics. I would just tell the judge that you were rolling up to the light, it turned green and you pushed the gas pedal. No crime in that.

I also wouldn't be too vocal about the police officer's attitudes. I would just say I thought the police officers acted unprofessionally and seemed like they wanted to pin something on me. If you rant and rave too much about that it might just turn the judge off. The sweetest revenge would be getting the ticket thrown out. Then, find a different channel to report their conduct.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Did they pull over the other cars?

Lawyer up. Any other advice here is pure speculation.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:59 AM

Depending on your previous record, you can probably get this tossed with a decent lawyer. I think clarkster summed it up nicely, the key is to keep your cool and not to rant too much about the officers when you're in court. I would say one or two lines about how you felt they handled you in an unprofessional manner, then drop it. The judge wants to hear about the incident, not the officers. Present it as clarkster suggested (obviously taking into account what your lawyer advises) and there isn't much they can hit you with, especially if you weren't over the speed limit.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 PM

The complaint needs to be formally brought up to the local police depart. Chances are you are not the first to be treated like this from those officers. If there are enough complaints about one officer something will be done about it. Regardless of what the incident was the police officer is supposed to act professional. I was caught racing once, it was obvious. I knew and the police officer knew it. In my opinion he had the right to treat me like a piece of crap but not once did he raise his voice at me. I respected that. The whole dude thing might have provoked him a little bit.

Quick Reply: Does complaining about a police officer actually do anything?