Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Couple questions

Old 03-29-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about brake fluid?
I'm hearing Dot 3, Dot 4, Valvoline SynPower, ATE SuperBlue....
One for this, another for that, oh doen't use that it absorbs water and corodes your car, factory spec this, OEM that, "but the manual says".....

I'm not going to be racing the car (my hubby might do an auto-X once or twice the whole summer). I just want something that works, I won't have to worry about changing it again untill next spring/8,000 miles, and the car won't break from extended use of it.

Here is what I've pulled together.
Not sure about the differential(sp?) fluid but I saw this brand mentioned a lot.
Once again though 10 people say it's a godsend and 10 people say it voids your warrenty and you differential will fall off.
Hell, I don't even know what a differential is.

Below is the part number RoadRage listed for GM Synchromesh, is it correct?

Oil FIlter - Honda 15400-PCX-004

Oil - Mobil 1 10W-30 green or gold cap

Gearbox/Transmition fluid - GM Synchromesh
GM partno. 88900399
Syncromesh FM (for NV1500 trannies)
Semi-synthetic base

Clutch fluid - DOT 3?

Brake fluid - DOT 4?

Differential Oil - amsoil le607?

I don't know how you men sort all this crap out.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brake fluid: any old stuff off of the shelf, DOT3 or DOT4 is what you want and is what it commonly found on the shelf... it will say right on the front of the bottle (DOT5 is a different formula and is very bad for your seals). ATE SuperBlue is meant more for the racer... if you husband intends to do more than a couple of autocrosses, I suggest going that route. The downside is it's more hygroscopic than the stock fluid and therefore will need to be changed more often... a tough season will mean a fluid change after one year, else every other year. They sell gold and blue colors so it's easier to know when you've completely bled your system (watch for the color change).

Tranny: 2 qt. GM Synchromesh Friction Modified (can NOT find the number for the life of me, but tell the GM dealer exactly what's above and you'll get the right stuff). Don't forget new crush washers when you change the fluids. Drain washer is 14mm, fill is 20mm.

Diff: 1 qt. Mobil 1 75W-90 hypoid gear oil.

No need to buy a Honda oil filter unless you feel more comfortable doing it... personally, I prefer getting a higher quality STP or Mobil 1 filter for the same price (sometimes cheaper).

We sort it out by everyone trying something different then comparing notes. What works for one car (or even year) doesn't necessarily work well for another, so it's often times a trial.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:12 PM

Why can't this be like my old Cavalier where I just changed the oil every 5,000 miles and thats it and it still lasted 140,000+ miles?

Checked through the sevice records from the previous owner.
Had to dig them deep out of the closet.

Sorry SOB had the car in the dealership at like 7,000 miles with second gear grind.
My husband asked directly about second gear grind and he said he never had a problem.
We didn't push the car at all when we first got it so didn't get gear grind.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

you know my brother David?! He doesn't work there any more but he is at Apple Acura in York, Pa if you would want to go up there to see him. I'll let him know tonight that you posted it up and miss him
Old 03-29-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

also best of luck getting your stuff straightened out. frankel's labor rate is really friggin high. your better off going somewhere else to get it cheaper. since david does all my maintenance i can't help with any other good local shop referrals, however
Old 03-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,409 Posts

Okay... I snapped a couple of shots of the stuff I use and I stole a few from my favorite online retailer of some of these goods...

I realize that you are getting a lot of recommendations on what products to use. Such is the nature of this website. I suggest you do your own research and find what works best for you. Below is what has worked best for me. I did my research and this is what I came up with... I did all of the changes myself or with a buddy. Absolutely no reason you and your hubby couldn't do them, too in your driveway.

Brake Fluid: ATE Super Blue.

This stuff is an absolute MUST for auto crossing or track use and not a bad idea at all for a daily driver. This is what I am running right now.

Tranny fluid: GM Synchromesh (Friction Modified)

I purchased this based upon the recommendation of Road Rage. I have used nothing else because this stuff solved the problems I noted earlier and seems to be holding up quite well! AC Delco, by the way, is the company GM owns that distributes their stuff. If you go to a dealer, the same product will come in a black bottle with a blue label. Just be sure to get the Friction Modified product. Your local dealer should have it.

Oil Filter: Mobil-1

I use these filters simply because of availability. My local AutoZone always has them. I buy them the same time I get my oil... They are comparable to the Honda PCX filters you would get from the dealer. I did quite a bit of research here, too and found several positive comments on them. As Mac noted above, they use a good filter material and hold up quite well.

Motor Oil: Mobil 1 10w-30

This stuff probably isn't the best there is. In fact, I know it isn't. BUT it is very readily available and perfectly suitable. Civicguy is a HUGE fan of Amsoil and I think he should be. It is REALLY great stuff. It is also pricy and kinda hard to get. I change my oil every 3000 miles like my life depended on it. I see the Mobil 1 as a more than acceptable oil for this change interval. The best part is if I get out of work early or if I suddenly find myself with some free time, I can swing past AutoZone, grab my oil and filter, and get to work. I put a premium on convenience.

Diff Fluid: Almasol LE 607

This is what the bottle looks like after I have squeezed the snot out of it. Again, I use this stuff on the recommendation of others. I drive my car A LOT and every dif fluid change (+/- 8000 miles) has shown to be very clean. That is, no metal bits in the fluid. You can also see the tube I was talking about before in this shot...

Anywho... I hope the photos help you to find these products should you choose to use them. Feel free to PM me if you need any advice on changing the fluids or where to get them.

Good luck!

Jeff
Old 03-30-2007, 05:01 AM

Listen to these guys, they always have good input and offer a variety of routes to take.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:01 PM

Yea, thanks a lot for the imput.

Anyone know if there is a book available for how to work on your S2K?

Husband went to Advanced Auto and the guy told him they didn't carry one.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Helm's Manual... Google it and order online for the best price.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:29 PM

I have a scanned copy of the factory service manual on CD. It's not the greatest quality, but it's perfectly legible. PM me if you want a free copy.