Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Couple questions

Old 03-29-2007, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Couple questions

Have a couple questions and could use some help if you guys don't mind.

First off my check engine light came on, took it to Frankel Acura cause Dave who works there his brother posts here and has a S2K. Found out he no longer works there.
First question is "are you sure the gas cap is on all the way", of course it is. I know that can throw a sensor, I filled up the other day, I'm sure I heard the gas cap "click" over 10 times and I've put over 150 miles on the car since I gassed up.

So the guy takes it in and then calls me today saying it's the gas cap and it just needed to be tightened.

I am so sure that I put it on properly that I want to do some research.

Can a gas cap get worn down in any way so that over time it would work it's self loose?

Once the check engine light code is pulled and reset is there any way to have it re-checked elsewhere just to double check?
Heard some Auto Zones and Advanced Auto Parts can pull codes. Didn't find out about that untill I had already droped the car off, but live and learn.

Trying to do some research so I can have my husband or father work on the car. Mostly best filters and fluids and junk.

But in the mean time any recomendations on a trustworth shop to take me and my hubbies S2K to?
I'm out of warrenty so thats not a big deal but would like something in the Owings Mills, Towson, Hunt Valley area. I work in White Marsh and my father lives in Colombia so anything inbetween would be ok so long and there good and don't try to charge $700 for a 15,000 mile fluid change or $150 to tell me my gas cap wasn't on all the way like Frankel.

Second problem.
Second gear grinds a lot, mostly after I have been driving for over 45 min. I have heard the GM Synchromesh high friction fluid will help and that "rev-matching" or "double clutching" would help as well. I have no clue what either are.
Any information would be great. Searched the forums but I'm still confused as one person says it's good then another says it dammages your car. and no one really says how to do it or at what rpm to do it at.

Worst case scenario if 2nd gear comletly goes will it break anything else and how much "should" it be to have it fixed?
Should I fix it now or wait till it dies?

With the exception of the Gm Synchromesh fluid is there anything else what I should use other then what is recomended in the manual (once I find my manual) that will help the car? I don't race but sometimes I have some fun so I don't think I need any race car stuff.

Thank you guys in advance.
I hate being a nooby and not knowing much about cars.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:55 AM

I had the same thing happen with the CEL and gas cap. My cap was replaced along with a sensor - I'd have to go back and see exactly what it was, but if I didn't have the extended warranty, it would have set me back about $1200.

As for a shop in the area you are talking about, I go to Wise Automitve in Timonium. His number is 410-252-8361 - kind of a quiet guy, but he has a 2000 S2K and is very trustworthy. Been bringing my car there for over a year and nothing but good things to say about him and the shop.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:58 AM

$1200, ouch
Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

The clutch mechanism in the gas cap wears/breaks over time. You can still use it, it just takes some finesse to put it on. Grasp it from the very outside edge of the cap, not the handle thats molded in, and squeeze firmly as you tighten it. This will make the inner piece actually tighten bypassing the problem associated with the 'clutch'.

"Double Clutching" is some what of an obsolete term. It was used in manual transmission before they had synchronizers. I'll let some other people give you better advice on what to do about it though. But double clutching isn't it... we have a very advanced transmission that does not require this technique.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by e3opian,Mar 29 2007, 03:05 PM
The clutch mechanism in the gas cap wears/breaks over time. You can still use it, it just takes some finesse to put it on. Grasp it from the very outside edge of the cap, not the handle thats molded in, and squeeze firmly as you tighten it. This will make the inner piece actually tighten bypassing the problem associated with the 'clutch'.

this is what I do since I can tell that the cap clutches too quickly, I swapped out a cap with another member who didn't have the problem and his cap clutched too quickly on my filler neck as well... which leads me to believe it's the filler neck...
Old 03-29-2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by bighead2,Mar 29 2007, 02:08 PM

this is what I do since I can tell that the cap clutches too quickly, I swapped out a cap with another member who didn't have the problem and his cap clutched too quickly on my filler neck as well... which leads me to believe it's the filler neck...
thief
Old 03-29-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Regarding the grind, try slowing the shift down.. apply a little less pressure to the lever and as the RPM's fall allow the shifter to glide into place. This will help you get a feel for where in the engine speed range you need to be for a shift into second.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by e3opian,Mar 29 2007, 11:16 AM
Regarding the grind, try slowing the shift down.. apply a little less pressure to the lever and as the RPM's fall allow the shifter to glide into place. This will help you get a feel for where in the engine speed range you need to be for a shift into second.
yea i'm slowly learning this. you cant really slam 2nd.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:22 AM

Well this sounds like a relief.
Thanks for the imput.
Hopefull this is the answer I needed and now I just need to find out what rev-matching is and get info so my hubby or dad can change fluids and stuff.

Got to look through previous owners papers too see when the last time he had fluids changed. I did oil not too long ago but worried about everything else.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

rev match? HEEL TOE!

lol

Quick Reply: Couple questions