Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Coilover Install -- WILL PAY FOR HELP!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover Install -- WILL PAY FOR HELP!

Hey guys,

I just posted this in the 'Under the Hood' section, but I'm willing to pay for any assistance with my coilover install problem. Here's whats going on -- Thanks in advance for taking a look at this and any help.

I know a coilover install shouldn't be hard, but I've hit a problem that I'm curious if anyone's ran into as well.
I've installed the driver side front coilover, and had no problem with that.
I started the passenger side install, following the same procedure as with the driver side.

When I removed the bottom bolt that holds the shock (the one that goes through the shock 'fork' at the bottom), there was a ton of pressure that pushed the bottom of the shock past the hole where it should be connected. Now I can't get the old spring/shock assembly off of the car so I can put in the new coilover.

The bottom of the shock is now at the point where I can't even get it to line up with it's respective spot.

Bolts I have removed (they've been replaced in the pictures, just because I'm at a standstill):
- 2 control arm bolts
- Brake line bolts
- Bottom perch bolt (the one that I now can't get to line up)

The sway bar stabilizer link has NOT been touched at all.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated with this. Thank you so much guys!

I'LL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO POST MORE PICTURES IF THEY WOULD HELP. Thanks again guys.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:25 PM

Have someone put all their weight on the rotor, that will make the entire suspension come down freeing the trapped strut, or use the stock jack to force the upper control arm to push the suspension down. That will fix your problem easily.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by scarlets2k
Have someone put all their weight on the rotor, that will make the entire suspension come down freeing the trapped strut, or use the stock jack to force the upper control arm to push the suspension down. That will fix your problem easily.
Thanks. Yeah, we've tried putting all of someone's weight on the rotor, and the lower control arm didn't budge much at all. When you say 'jack the upper control arm down', are you saying I should place the jack between the inside top fender and control arm? Not sure what you mean.

My pics are from flickr, I hope they'll work soon here.....Do you guys think taking off the lower control arm is necessary/would free the trapped strut??
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the other side of the car on the ground? The swaybar will keep you from pushing that control arm down if that is the case. You installed a Coilover on the other side correct? If that side is on the ground the swaybar is going to be working against you, Disconnect it temporarily at the endlink then try to remove your stuck OEM Strut. I would also recommend you try this even if the car is on 4 jackstands.

-Froth
Old 08-10-2011, 03:25 AM

I can't see the pic but I'm sure you need to remove lower "A" arm. We swap suspensions in my S twice already and we always remove the lower "A" arm first.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Froth.
Is the other side of the car on the ground? The swaybar will keep you from pushing that control arm down if that is the case. You installed a Coilover on the other side correct? If that side is on the ground the swaybar is going to be working against you, Disconnect it temporarily at the endlink then try to remove your stuck OEM Strut. I would also recommend you try this even if the car is on 4 jackstands.

-Froth
Thanks guys. The other side of the car is off of the ground, and a coilover has been installed on that side. I'll try disconnecting the sway bar endlink.

Originally Posted by Beepbeep
I can't see the pic but I'm sure you need to remove lower "A" arm. We swap suspensions in my S twice already and we always remove the lower "A" arm first.
I'm guessing you're talking about the lower control arm. Is it that bad of a removal/install to take that arm off to free up my strut?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Froth.

-Froth
This. The swaybar is transferring "load" across the chassis and binding up your suspension.

Tip: Jack up the halves of the car together, and use jack stands. Or disconnect the end links, but I always find that to be a gamble with the allen head and wrench method

Edit: Whoops, looks like I waited too long to answer. Also, if the other coilover is installed... Try keeping it unbolted from the lower control arm until you bolt the other coilover on or at least remove the stock strut.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by a13normal
This. The swaybar is transferring "load" across the chassis and binding up your suspension.

Tip: Jack up the halves of the car together, and use jack stands. Or disconnect the end links, but I always find that to be a gamble with the allen head and wrench method
Thanks for making this your first post -- Yeah man, both halves are already on jack stands. Are you saying I should disconnect one side's sway bar end links? Why is it a 'gamble' to disconnect the end links?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by biXs2k
Originally Posted by Froth.' timestamp='1312960281' post='20863787

-Froth
Thanks guys. The other side of the car is off of the ground, and a coilover has been installed on that side. I'll try disconnecting the sway bar endlink.

Originally Posted by Beepbeep
I'm guessing you're talking about the lower control arm. Is it that bad of a removal/install to take that arm off to free up my strut?
I think it's the same, I wish I'm not at work so that I can send my pictures of install. Anyway, remove the two bolts (17MM Ithink?) that is at the end of "Y" end of Lover "A" arm bolted by the inner fender side.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by a13normal
Edit: Whoops, looks like I waited too long to answer. Also, if the other coilover is installed... Try keeping it unbolted from the lower control arm until you bolt the other coilover on or at least remove the stock strut.
This was really helpful. Are you pretty confident that this will remove the pressure to allow me to remove my stuck strut? I'm about to go down and try removing the coilover I've already installed to try to get this strut out! Thanks.

Again, I'll pay for someone's travel down here to help out, buy lunch or something, whatever. It's just a hassle because I'm parked in a spot that I have to be out of pretty soon or my car will be towed.

Quick Reply: Coilover Install -- WILL PAY FOR HELP!