Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

CDC AutoX Saturday Oct 6 in Frederick, MD

Old 10-10-2007, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cumberland AirPort Auto-X rocks!!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete - You're right, I don't care so it shouldn't matter to me so long as CDC doesn't change in terms of its laid back attitude, and you're probably also right to say that 275 cars has more to do with the way SCCA feels versus the maybe 120 cars that CDC runs on a given day than the PAX system.

If you think it'll make things better we should try the PAX system. My only caution would be that you might scare away some newbs because you need to select a class to put your car in. I know I had some trouble when I was considering doing the Cumberland AutoX's with figuring out what class my car is in. The SCCA rulebook is somewhat confusing with their terminology compared to the way I'd describe ... an aftermarket cold air intake for example.

Maybe there's an easy way to write a program so you can select what common mods you might have on a car (header, intake, exhaust, forced induction) etc, and have it calculate your car's PAX index, especially for common autox cars like Miatas etc. I dunno.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=LiQUiD iCE,Oct 10 2007, 01:06 PM] Pete - You're right, I don't care so it shouldn't matter to me so long as CDC doesn't change in terms of its laid back attitude, and you're probably also right to say that 275 cars has more to do with the way SCCA feels versus the maybe 120 cars that CDC runs on a given day than the PAX system.

If you think it'll make things better we should try the PAX system.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:01 PM

The best solution is to have a PAX system in place and if you don't want to run in an indexed class, there is a "time only" class. If you're new, confused or just want to have fun, run in that group. If you want to compete based on an index system, classify your car and do that. It could even be fine-tuned to have street-tire and race-tire classes. Check out how the WWSCC does it (http://www.wwscc.org); I ran with them for two years and I still think they had an awesome index system that accommodated every skill level and level of devotion. It wasn't cut-throat like the SCCA usually is and wasn't over-simplified like CDC is. They had a "time only" classification, normal classifications (AS, BSP, etc), and then they had the "professional" classification for the super-fast guys (so a quick driver with 2 years of experience wasn't forced to compete with someone who had 15 years experience).

One other thing the CDC needs to fix is their heats. Why in the world you are forced to spend 75% of the day with nothing to do is beyond me (4 heats, you drive and work in 1, WTF?). They really should split it into AM and PM sessions. For this reason I've picked to just run in the mornings; watching others drive the same course gets old after a few minutes (especially when you're quicker than most of those people).
Old 10-10-2007, 05:45 PM

Just a small note from times past.
I first autoxed with my father in the mid-late 80's.
The organizers had classes, showroom stock etc. ,I cannot remember,
it does not matter.
I had a great time then I had a great time Sunday.
"I cannot wait to do it again!!" said the boy in line for the roller coaster.
Dan