Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Car washing/drought

Old 10-05-2002, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car washing/drought

We are still under drought restrictions in Central Jersey and my S2k is getting a bit ugly. What are others doing about washing the car. Anyone folded and gone to a commercial car wash?

Advice??
Old 10-05-2002, 12:03 PM

I've decided that I'm not going to vote for Gov. Warner (Virginia) when he comes up for re-election over this...

That punk has banned car washing in Central VA, where I live, but not in Northern VA, where a large portion of his voting constituency resides. I probably use more water taking a second shower a day after working out than I ever would washing my car once every two weeks. <end rant>

I finally broke down after two months of not washing the car and went to one of those "spray it yourself" car washes. It cost me about $8 and I hated every minute of it. Hell, I even got some nasty water spots to remind me that I took it there.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shoo... after i saw three people in my neighborhood wash their cars after a month of this ban... i broke down and washed her. I did make sure the water was off when i wasn't using the water... I agree with you dave, i think i use the water more in the shower than washing the car.

I got a question, since they allow you to water your lawn, if you park your car on the lawn, and wash it during the time it is legal, can they ticket you????? things that make you go hmmmmmm....
Old 10-06-2002, 03:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dkhl
[B]since they allow you to water your lawn, if you park your car on the lawn, and wash it during the time it is legal, can they ticket you?????
Old 10-06-2002, 06:48 PM

In our area, the water restrictions apply to watering our lawns too--so that's out. As for commercial car washes, they use MUCH LESS water because they are required to recycle the water (I think 90% or more) to continue to operate. My black S2K got so dirty that when we got those heavy rains a few weeks back, I ran outside with my raincoat and cloth, and washed her in the rain!
Old 10-07-2002, 03:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

HA! Sorry...this *drought* and our community's view of how to save water seems ridiculous to me. Are there concerns?...legit concerns??? Absolutely...

I live in the sticks and I have a well. Ain't run dry yet and has good depth. But regardless...the issue at hand for me would be this:
  • I fill up a bucket with, what, 1 gallon of water for soap suds.

• I wet my car down. THAT took, what, a gallon of water...*if* that?

• Scrub-a-dub-dub from the bucket of suds mentioned in initial bullet -- remember, *that* was 1 gallon.

• Repeat the 2nd & 3rd bullets, what, 3, maybe 4 times as I work over the car??? Keeping in mind that sectionally working the car, I'm probably spraying/hosing ~ a quart to 1/2 gallon of water with each section rinsed off...

So...what did that "run-up" in water...let's say 4 gallons of water. I think that's a reasonable assessment...

Now...how much water does the average person use when they spend 10-plus minutes in a shower??? Multiply that by a family of folks doing the same. Now I'm all for folks smellin' fresh-n-clean...and I'm by no means asking folks not to take a shower but if they *are* allowed to take as many as they want and for as long as they want...

...then I'm washing The Bruised Banana any damned time I feel like it!