Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Cale

Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Cale had a stock engine, 02-03 ECU and a exhuast (my old Fujitisbo) , stock intake. 457 diff (my old diff)

A bone stock S2000 is capable of 120+ on SP Main, one with R comps much more.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I run an HPDE Miata, and over time of course one becomes familiar with the strong and weak points of the design. As a follow up question, is there any reason to believe that the S2000 brakes would have any specific weaknesses relative to other brands of car? ie were they more prone to rotor cracks, caliper problems, or heat problems than other vehicles you all have tracked? I noted that Car & Driver found bad brake fade in their test S2000 in the recent "Lightning Lap" issue, but of course I assume that is instantly cured with track pads. Am I correct, or are S2000 brakes in any way delicate or finicky even after mods?

Again, I don't want to hijack this thread, which has really touched me (and I am sure many others) despite never having met Cale. But I think there is a lot of healing in trying to learn from and understand this.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bighead,Nov 18 2008, 02:22 PM
From the NASA Nationals Thread in R&C:

He wasn't 200 lbs lighter... he had his stock roll hoops and plastics removed but that's it... otherwise full interior + Sparco Evos. He was probably over oem weight due to his roll bar and hardtop.
I thought he had gutted the interior (soft top, sound deadening, etc.).
Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by jeopardyracing,Nov 18 2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. I run an HPDE Miata, and over time of course one becomes familiar with the strong and weak points of the design. As a follow up question, is there any reason to believe that the S2000 brakes would have any specific weaknesses relative to other brands of car? ie were they more prone to rotor cracks, caliper problems, or heat problems than other vehicles you all have tracked? I noted that Car & Driver found bad brake fade in their test S2000 in the recent "Lightning Lap" issue, but of course I assume that is instantly cured with track pads. Am I correct, or are S2000 brakes in any way delicate or finicky even after mods?

Again, I don't want to hijack this thread, which has really touched me (and I am sure many others) despite never having met Cale. But I think there is a lot of healing in trying to learn from and understand this.
Yeah that lightning lap was bogus and on stock pads which start fading after a few hard braking zones... With the addition of track pads (I don't know what he was running, Carbotech XP10/8 or Hawk Blues) the factory brakes are excellent on the track.

I hear of a lot of track junkies on the west coast cracking rotors but I don't think it's common place over here. The lower temps have made a few people in the area crack rotors recently though.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by PJCC,Nov 18 2008, 01:40 PM
I thought he had gutted the interior (soft top, sound deadening, etc.).
I don't remember if he had removed his soft top but he definitely wasn't gutted.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:03 AM

His soft top was removed.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeopardyracing,Nov 18 2008, 10:38 AM

i made a recent post concerning rear brake temperature being higher then the front and it seems that several other have notice the same thing. not sure if this is an issue or what.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=648455
Old 11-18-2008, 02:12 PM

Rob - does this post provide you with new information you didn't previously have, and if so, does it change your thoughts on a rotor failure? You mentioned in your more recent post that there was enough rotor material at the impact site that it seemed less likely that the rotor exploded - was the entire rotor there or does it remain a possibility that it failed? And could it have severed a brake line while it did so, resulting in a system wide pressure loss?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:30 PM

..... I haven't been on the board for a couple of months now, but my thoughts go to his family and him in person.

I had the pleasure to meet Cale and talk all about flying.
I for one currently pursuing my career as a flyer, definitely he had influence in my thoughts.

RIP Cale.

-Jee
Old 11-18-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

IIRC, Cale's car weighed approx. 2880 with him in it and some fuel.

Tel1sps(Steve) cracked a rotor on Shenandoah at this year's RTA. Can't remember which- front or back. Cale's fronts were ducted. Also, I know for a fact that Cale re-lubed his sliding pins on his calipers every year. That doesn't mean a seal couldn't fail(I do not know when they were last rebuilt).

Quick Reply: Cale