Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Cale

Old 11-17-2008, 06:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

RIP peace Cale
Old 11-17-2008, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Nov 15 2008, 01:16 PM
Rob, thank you for taking the time to articulate your findings/beliefs. We all appreciate it greatly.
I'm with Skip, thank you, Rob!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 AM
EJO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob,Nov 15 2008, 04:11 PM
George, the brake pad material looked good all around. It was thin in the front but as long as you're not metal to metal you're going to get pretty good stopping power. Even with backing plate to rotor you still get more stopping power than Cale had. Cale was in a slide from the pavement all the way to the wall and he just didn't lose much speed. He couldn't have had much braking authority at all.
Hey Rob, It was good to see you again. Too bad it was under these circumstances. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else but if Cale didn't check/bleed his brakes for a long time he may have cooked the brake fluid which will cause brake fade. Just a thought. Please keep us informed if you find anything else out.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:36 PM

also i had to replace my calipers, due to them getting stuck and or wore out from the track. this causing brake failure. i have cracked countless rotors before i figured out what the problem was.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by EJO,Nov 17 2008, 01:49 PM
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else but if Cale didn't check/bleed his brakes for a long time he may have cooked the brake fluid which will cause brake fade.
That is because he always kept his car in great condition for track events. Bleeding the fluid was a huge priority at the top of his to-do list.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:34 AM
EJO

Originally Posted by PJCC,Nov 18 2008, 06:03 AM
That is because he always kept his car in great condition for track events. Bleeding the fluid was a huge priority at the top of his to-do list.
I know Cale was a stickler for details but even us racers let stuff slip every once in a while. Just throwing out some possibilities.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PrOsPeCt S,Nov 18 2008, 12:36 AM
also i had to replace my calipers, due to them getting stuck and or wore out from the track. this causing brake failure.
A seized caliper certainly sounds possible, but I'd imagine you would still get some clamping force from the remaining 3 calipers, no?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:03 AM

First off, to those who knew and loved Cale, deepest condolences. I never had the pleasure of meeting Cale but this accident, and all of you (his friends and family) have been on my mind since last Monday when I saw this thread.

I think many of us in the motorsports community are still struggling to find some form of closure in the form of a better understanding of what the cause was. A couple of questions - how much horsepower had been added to Cale's car relative to stock (ie was the straightaway speed of 125+ mph achievable by a stock S2000? Also, were any cracks visible on the left side brake rotors? I am wondering if there is a chance the right side rotors were cracked before the incident.

Again, unless there is some organization that will conduct an "official" investigation of the accident, I realize that we may never have very much clarity on what happened, but my strong feeling is that as a community we have to do everything we can to learn from accidents so that we may take steps to improve safety at the track. Is there any organization that tracks injury accidents at our events and makes information on their findings available to participants?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by jeopardyracing,Nov 18 2008, 02:03 PM
A couple of questions - how much horsepower had been added to Cale's car relative to stock (ie was the straightaway speed of 125+ mph achievable by a stock S2000? Also, were any cracks visible on the left side brake rotors? I am wondering if there is a chance the right side rotors were cracked before the incident.
Not much. I believe his car's engine was almost stock. Maybe a K&N CAI. His car was about 200lbs lighter than a stock car and he had coilovers, very sticky tires, recing brakes and A LOT of experience.

My car is totally stock and in a cold day, on my first track event with the S, I saw 120mph on my speed display before braking for turn 1. The fastest I went through turn 10 was arround 70mph. He was much faster than me everywhere, so 128mph seems very reasonable for him in his car.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 AM

From the NASA Nationals Thread in R&C:

Heres mine
9 - KWV3 (7 pt shock + 2 pt spring)

2 - Gendron Bar

1 - Cat delete

2 - Cat back exhaust

5 - GTC-200

6 - RA-1s (255 x 4)

1 - Front lip/splitter? (our TT director gave me a "pass" for this because it really has no performance value)

That puts me at the max amount of points, although not really the best use of them.
He wasn't 200 lbs lighter... he had his stock roll hoops and plastics removed but that's it... otherwise full interior + Sparco Evos. He was probably over oem weight due to his roll bar and hardtop.

Quick Reply: Cale