Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Cale

Old 11-15-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The service for Cale was amazing and I'm so glad I went. The stories everyone told were great and ended up being very chronological. He's mom seemed unbelievably strong to get up there and deliver a eulogy for her son. Guess it runs in the family.
Thanks to Jeff for organizing the caravan which indeed pleased the family to see all of the support by the S2000 community.

Rob, could you tell if the brakes were still a sealed system, pressing on the pedal to see if anything leaked? I'm having a hard time understanding the specific damage to the car so excuse me if it's way off base. Was there any indication in your video of a problem starting in T5 or T10? Any fluids dripping?
Old 11-15-2008, 03:49 PM

This news really shook me as I just met Cale at the Cadillac event at Summit Point at the end of October. Not only was he a remarkable driver, but a very nice person. We discussed tracking S2000s at length and he really took his time to help me. I wish his family my deepest condolences.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Rob, could you tell if the brakes were still a sealed system, pressing on the pedal to see if anything leaked? I'm having a hard time understanding the specific damage to the car so excuse me if it's way off base. Was there any indication in your video of a problem starting in T5 or T10? Any fluids dripping?
The brake line at the right front had been compromised. It was leaking fluid on the wheel, but the right front wheel, hub, suspension, and brakes were severely damaged by the impact so it would be very difficult to determine when the break occurred.

Cale slowed down by about 5 seconds in the lap before the accident which allowed me to catch up and see him on the front straight. I was not close enough to him to get him on video in any of the previous turns.

No one, including the Turn 1 flagger noticed any fluid on the track. A brake fluid leak would be so small that it would be very hard to notice. As I mentioned the brake reservoir was still above the min line. I realize you don't lose that much fluid if a line breaks and your foot goes to the floor, but there's no way to determine if that happened--but it is definitely a possibility.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:52 PM

I am still in shock from this. I tried returning Skips call and Zeke was kind enough to come and greet us at the airport, and show us the article and give us the card from the funeral. When I found out on the phone I wanted to keep it silent till we got home but my emotions did not allow that. What an amazing person he was, what potential and a love for life he had, if we could all live that way this world would be a better place, Im gonna miss him .

Old 11-15-2008, 05:12 PM

Cale was one of the most amazing people i have ever met. He was always smiling and always laughing.

One of my fondest memories of Cale was when he joined a couple of us on a skiing trip and left some of us absolutely awe struck as he flew down the mountain effortlessly.

My prayers go out to his friends and family

Godspeed Cale... we all miss you very very much.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:46 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by itsallforyou,Nov 15 2008, 06:23 PM
Wow! That's all I can say. I am not on s2ki very often anymore (maybe once a month) and am just now hearing about this tragedy.
Kevin
Cale was really excited when you bought my car because he would have once again have another S2000 up there in Hagerstown.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by OversteerFTW,Nov 15 2008, 01:06 PM
wasn't?
lol. wasn't bad slash was pretty good.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:06 AM

this is cale's dad again. here's a poem by robert frost that cale liked when he was a little boy.-----------"nature's first green is gold. her hardest hue to hold. her early leaf's a flower. but only for an hour. then flower subsides to leaf. so eden sank to grief. so dawn goes down to day. nothing gold can stay." ------------when cale was about 3 years old i took him and his sister mandy who was 5, on a trip and my car broke down at 10 at night on the interstate. i took cale in one arm and mandy in the other arm and walked in the night until a good samaritan picked us up. when your little kids are young they're glued to you and then when they grow up, it's difficult to see them fly off and you start to lose control over their daily lives as they do what they love and pursue their dreams.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by erker72,Nov 16 2008, 12:06 PM
it's difficult to see them fly off
Literally in Cale's case.
It's great to see you posting here and Cale's mom and sister posting over on nasa forums sharing with us.

Once again my deepest sympathies on your loss.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I still have Cales name in my Blackberry Messenger.....I'll never delete it either.

Quick Reply: Cale