Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Cale

Old 11-12-2008, 03:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello to all !! To Cale, thanks for being my brother at times and being a great friend everyday.May you R.I.P and never be forgotten.Ps. I'll be sure to toot my"lambo horns" in honor of a great one.My prayers go out to his family and friends.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the funeral home's web site.

Kastanek, Cale
Viewing: Thursday November 13, 2008 from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Funeral: Friday November 14, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Cale Mortensen Kastanek, 28, of 14262 Shelby Circle, Hagerstown MD, passed away, Monday, November 10, 2008, at the Fairfax Hospital, Fairfax, VA.

Born Thursday, November 22, 1979, in Mount Vernon, IL, he was the son of Kenneth D. Kastanek of Springfield, IL, Shirley Mortensen Young and Jeffrey D. Young of Murrysville, PA

Cale was a 2002 graduate of Embry Riddle University receiving a Bachelor's degree in Aeronautical Science. He was employed with ING Direct, Rider Jet Center and Ultimate Jet Charters. He also was an Airline Transport Pilot, Certified Flight Instructor and had multiple Jet Aircraft Ratings. Cale was a member of the First United Methodist Church in Murrysville, PA, National Auto Sports Assn. where he was a Track Instructor and the Aircraft Owners and pilots Association.

Cale was a caring fun loving person who made friends where ever he went. Even in his passing, he

continued to help others by being an organ donor, which in turn helped more than fifty other people have better lives.

He is survived by two sisters, Amanda Nadig & husband Quintin of Chicago, IL, and Darcie Young of Chicago, IL; one brother, Thomas Young & wife Jessica of Murrysville, PA; grandfather, Edward Kastanek of Rio Rancho, NM; grandparents, Robert & Betty Mortensen of Beach Park, IL; grandparents, Everett & Carol Young of Villa Park, IL; and his beloved extended family and friends across the globe.

Services will be held Friday, November 14, 2008, at 1:30 PM, from the Douglas A. Fiery Funeral Home 1331 Eastern Blvd. North, Hagerstown, MD with the Rev. Dr. Stephen D. Robison officiating.

Family will receive friends at the funeral home, 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM, Thursday, November 13.

Interment will be private.

In lieu of flowers memorial donations may be made to Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic 4620 Haygood Road, Suite 1 Virginia Beach, VA 23455.

Online condolences may be expressed at www.douglasfiery.com
Old 11-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to bring this up--but I wish that S2KI.com would make available some memorial decals (or t-shirts) for those members that have left us.

I know SoCal made up a bunch of t-shirts for DreamCation when he passed away and I think Cale is more than worthy of something similar. I would buy a decal/t-shirt with
on it-and maybe the proceeds donated to the Angel Flight organization.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

i can't understand why nasa hasn't been really hard with safety equipment for all the TT guys
Time Trials is an excellent stepping stone from HPDEs to wheel-to-wheel racing but its ranks are thin as it is. If a seat, harness, and Hans were required it would die. NASA has had an excellent safety record with the TTs. Even with this tragedy I still agree with the current risk/cost balance. Running TTs is much more fun/intense/competitive--pretty much more everything than just running an HPDE.

The TTers may run quicker times than some race prepped cars, but wheel-to-wheel racing has much more risk due to the all too common contact between cars.

I would hate to see NASA TT killed by excessive safety requirements. We know the risks and we choose to participate with eyes wide open.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:26 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Here is a story about Cale I would like to share.

Cale called me a few weeks ago to find out about a track event he missed due to an upcoming trip.

I told him it was the best track day ever, this was a running joke we had as he missed a bunch of events this year do to work.

Cale told me he had to prep for a trip to Congo
Old 11-12-2008, 05:04 PM
EJO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I just found out that I was born on the same day as Cale, Just 11 years earlier. I was born Novemer 22, 1968. I, and some of Cale's Pennsylvania racing buddies will be sure to raise a glass to him that day.

Born Thursday, November 22, 1979, in Mount Vernon, IL, he was the son of Kenneth D. Kastanek of Springfield, IL, Shirley Mortensen Young and Jeffrey D. Young of Murrysville, PA
Old 11-12-2008, 05:06 PM

I never met cale and don't know if this has been said before, but at least he died doing what he enjoyed best.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Nov 12 2008, 12:37 AM
I didn't know Cale. From reading this thread, it sounds like that's my loss.

<--- From one Track junkie, for another.
my thoughts exactly.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my sincere condolenses to Cale and his family/friends

metro has delt with this sort of thing before.....losing a fellow member is tough

from reading this thread, seems like i missed out not knowing Cale, thoughts and prayers go out to u brother
Old 11-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

An update on the services: The viewing is tonight, Thursday from 7-PM and afterward we're headed to a nearby restaurant for an informal gathering. I'm not sure of the name, we'll just caravan.

After the ceremony Friday at 1:30, there won't be a precession to a grave site, but there will be a reception at a place within walking distance of the funeral home.

Quick Reply: Cale