Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Cale

Old 11-12-2008, 03:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

from what i've read, it saddens me to hear news like this, ..R.I.P to a fellow Mid-A and a guy who loved his sport. May his memories live on.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All though I don't believe I have ever met Cale , he is a car nut like myself . I am sure we would have gotten along great What I have read here he was a one of a kind friend that anyone would like to have ..

My Condolences go out to his Family and Friends
Old 11-12-2008, 05:25 AM

rip
Old 11-12-2008, 05:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 991 Likes on 511 Posts

Like many others, I'm not sure I ever met Cale. However, as an S2Ker, track goer and car enthusiast, it is sad to see another one go, especially so young.

Condolences to his family and friends.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:55 AM

RIP, My condolences to Cale's loved ones.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tinkfist,Nov 11 2008, 08:39 PM
His quest for a better lap time and commitment to help others achieve the same were truly remarkable
so true.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=tinkfist,Nov 11 2008, 08:39 PM] I will take comfort in the fact that your life ended with the adrenaline pumping, a smile coming out of turn 10, and of course doing something that brought you so much joy.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by robrob,Nov 11 2008, 08:22 PM
Four of Cale's friends from Hagerstown flew a helicopter down to Summit Point today and I took them out to Turn 1 and we viewed Cale's car. We spent about 45 minutes looking at the skid marks and then went to the maintenance bay and examined his car closely, especially the tires and brakes.

It doesn't look like there's going to be any accident investigation since it was on a race track the DOT doesn't get involved. I was a trained aircraft accident investigator in the Air Force and have some knowledge of auto accident analysis. After reviewing my in-car video, examining the car and the crash site my personal "most probable cause" is a catastrophic right side brake rotor disintegration which caused the car to rotate left.

My in-car video shows a small "flash" from the right side of Cale's car that looked like tire smoke, but all 4 of Cale's tires were still inflated--I actually checked the air pressure. The car's right side brake rotors were both cracked which could have been caused by the impact, but the rear rotor was completely gone. The "tire smoke" could have been the brake dust and rotor debris from a right rear rotor disintegration. We did a sweep along the braking zone but didn't find any brake parts but BSR has been running training on the circuit. His brake fluid level was normal and all of his brake pads had plenty of material left.

If one of the right side rotors broke up it could have pitched the car into a left hand slide. The loss of a rotor can also allow the brake caliper piston to fully extend which would allow the brake pedal to soften or even go to the floor.

The skid marks at the track were easy to follow from about 50 feet from the edge of the track to the wall. The car was sliding with about 30-50 degrees of left yaw from on the track abeam the access road all the way to the wall.

The car's right side hit the wall pretty much flat against the wall while still in the slide. He didn't hit right front like I initially thought.

I now believe the car went to the left because of a brake failure, not because Cale was trying to take the access road to miss the tire wall.

All the safety equipment was intact. The seat, harness, and cockpit were not compromised.

After seeing the impact marks on the wall and seeing how much of a side impact it was, I realize how hard he hit and don't know if a head restraint would have saved his life, but it certainly wouldn't have made it any worse.

On another note, Brenda and I plan to be there Thursday and Friday for the viewing, ceremony, and reception.
Thank you for sharing the information. Too often this type of information is withheld for fear of liability, injuring the memory of the person involved, etc. I didn't know Cale, but I know that not many folks engender the kind of sentiment shown in this thread. Learning from what happened to Cale will not make his passing any easier for those who knew and loved him but not trying to glean a lesson from his accident would make his loss worse.

My thoughts and prayers are with those who knew and loved him.

-Dave Dillehay
GTS-3 #28, Texas Region
Old 11-12-2008, 07:50 AM

I had only met Cale a handful of times since I bought my car in April. The first time was at a CDC AutoX in Frederick. I don't think I knew anyone else with an S2000 that was there (except Calvin, I think). Cale took the time to talk to me, though, and made me feel like I was one of them. I think it was at this event I realized what a great community we have here, as there were also some other S2KI guys there, including Jeff, George, Calvin, Ron, Juan & Carlos, and Keith even came to make fun of the AutoX'ers.

Just a few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of sharing a track day with Cale. It was on Oct 20th, at the Lindsay Cadillac track day at Summit Point. Cale, Pete, Ron and I hung out for most of the day, and Cale instructed me for a session, and then let me ride with him. During his session on the track, Andy Pilgrim (professional racer) was giving people rides in the new 09 Cadillac CTS-V. Cale was so excited to have the opportunity to chase him down, and he even passed him a couple times. One of the times Cale passed Andy, Andy gave him a "thumbs up". Cale was saying to me "That's Andy ****ing Pilgrim! Andy ****ing Pilgrim just gave me a thumbs up!" I mentioned something to Cale about being able to tell people that he passed Andy Pilgrim who was in a car with double the power, but Cale, of course said: "Yeah, but he's got 4 people in the car, and he's on street tires." I don't believe he bragged about that at all, to anyone.

Even though I did not know him that long, Cale had a huge impact on me. I told everyone about him after that track day, about how great of a driver he was, and how he passed Andy Pilgrim. He was a great man, and someone that I will truly miss.

RIP Cale.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found out about this from a post on S2KCA, and I'd like to express our collective sentiments from "over there." I don't know if I met Cale; I've been to several Dragon runs and other things on the East Coast but so many new people... regardless, it is a tragedy to lose one of our own. Going further, as an autocrosser, it is a tragedy to lose one of our own in that way too. Reading everything here, he was what most of my favorite people in the car world embody: enthusiasm, unselfishness, willingness to help, and an inspiration to those who want to know more about their car and learn more as a driver.

Our community, web forum affiliation aside, lost someone very valuable last Sunday. Godspeed, Cale. Your gift of life to others is awe inspiring, and I'm glad, though your time was too soon, that you went doing what you loved to do. It's all any of us could ask for, both for ourselves and for you.

Quick Reply: Cale