Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Cale

Old 11-11-2008, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be up thrusday night for sure.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Four of Cale's friends from Hagerstown flew a helicopter down to Summit Point today and I took them out to Turn 1 and we viewed Cale's car. We spent about 45 minutes looking at the skid marks and then went to the maintenance bay and examined his car closely, especially the tires and brakes.

It doesn't look like there's going to be any accident investigation since it was on a race track the DOT doesn't get involved. I was a trained aircraft accident investigator in the Air Force and have some knowledge of auto accident analysis. After reviewing my in-car video, examining the car and the crash site my personal "most probable cause" is a catastrophic right side brake rotor disintegration which caused the car to rotate left.

My in-car video shows a small "flash" from the right side of Cale's car that looked like tire smoke, but all 4 of Cale's tires were still inflated--I actually checked the air pressure. The car's right side brake rotors were both cracked which could have been caused by the impact, but the rear rotor was completely gone. The "tire smoke" could have been the brake dust and rotor debris from a right rear rotor disintegration. We did a sweep along the braking zone but didn't find any brake parts but BSR has been running training on the circuit. His brake fluid level was normal and all of his brake pads had plenty of material left. The throttle butterfly was closed with the throttle cable working normally.

If the right rear rotor came apart it could have pitched the car into a left hand slide. The loss of a rotor can also allow the brake caliper piston to fully extend which would allow the brake pedal to soften or even go to the floor.

The skid marks at the track were easy to follow from about 50 feet inside the edge of the track to the wall. The car was sliding with about 30-50 degrees of left yaw from on the track abeam the access road all the way to the wall.

The car's right side hit the wall pretty much flat against the wall while still in the slide. The car didn't hit right front like I initially thought.

I now believe the car went to the left because of a rear brake rotor failure, not because Cale was trying to take the access road to miss the tire wall.

All the safety equipment was intact. The seat, harness, and cockpit were not compromised and both airbags were deployed.

After seeing the impact marks on the wall and seeing how much of a side impact it was, I realize how hard he hit and don't know if a head restraint would have saved his life, but it certainly wouldn't have made it any worse.

On another note, Brenda and I plan to be there Thursday and Friday for the viewing, ceremony, and reception.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:31 PM

From the day I met Cale in 2006.....
Old 11-11-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Thanks Rob.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by bighead,Nov 11 2008, 08:50 PM
Looking back I wish I had gotten a pic of us...
That's one of the things you learn as you get older. I've been envolved with sports car clubs for longer than most have been breathing and if there's one thing I've learned, it's the cars bring you together but the people bring you back. Be they MG's or S2000's in 50 years they all look pretty much the same but the people..... looking back at them is what brings joy. Something for all you picture takers to consider.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never had the privilege of meeting him but I remember his posts and remember that he had such a passion for flying. I can recall a post where he posted some pictures from the cockpit of a plane and thought how awesome that must be. Very sad and I offer my condolences.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:11 PM

Thanks for sharing Rob. It saddens me to think that Cale didn't try to go down that access road - that he didnt' have control of the situation in the last few seconds...
Old 11-11-2008, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the insight, Rob
Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very sad and tragic news.
From what I have read in this topic am sure he was a great guy. RIP.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry for your loss.... Cal sounded like a good guy (i guess everyone is on S2KI actually).

I never think of things like this happening on the track, didn't know Cal but this saddens me.

Quick Reply: Cale