Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Cale

Old 11-11-2008, 03:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rgc,Nov 11 2008, 07:23 PM
A truly heartbreaking tragedy. My condolences to his family and friends. I never met Cale but it's clear he was a giving, wonderful person.

I hate to shift the theme of this post, but I think that the only way to gain from this tragedy is to make each of us safer. Does anyone know the details of car/situation that could be discussed and used by all of us to build our off-season safety upgrade list?
At this time, the specifics are not available to us and we do not wish to speculate.

Actually, I believe Cale's physical departure already has shown that he did not pass without affecting others for the good. Many members who were not organ donors are pledging to change their status as such. Many of us are increasing the safety equipment in our cars. Lastly, and probably most importantly, if at least one person gets off their procrastinating butt to attempt/complete a task/goal because they've seen that their time here is not guaranteed, then in his absence, he will have, once again, touched us in a positive way. One can ask nothing more.

As for car-specific safety measures, there is another thread in the Mid-Atlantic where we're discussing one facet of in-car safety. It is regarding neck restraints. Bars, harnesses, neck restraints, fire suppression, seats, and personal gear are all things to consider. You and everyone are encouraged to follow along and/or contribute.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great guy, amazing driver. He will be missed.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 4,735 Likes on 3,404 Posts

I gave Cale my old camera after getting an upgrade for myself. He was pretty excited about it and, judging from the kit he was working with, getting really into digital photography.

The camera found its way back to me so I thought I would share the photos Cale took at the track last weekend. As usual, it looks like Cale was having some fun...

I left the album public so anyone should be able to view the whole album by clicking here. I uploaded full res versions of all of them so you should be able to click to open them up and save them as you see fit.

Here are the ones I liked best...

That last one was taken at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon on the 9th.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not as involved with this community as I'd like to be, but his passion for it was obvious, and inspiring me to become more involved. Wish I had gotten to know him better.

A few videos i have from the N.E.R.D./CDC event earlier this year:

gaining ground
letting another pass
around the karussell

Rest in peace.

Mike
Old 11-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 708 Likes on 448 Posts

I just saw this thread... its so upsetting I feel sick. I don't even know what to say. Cale was a hell of a guy. Pretty much installed my KWs during a mod day and was always super nice and genuine. He will be missed.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:36 PM

My condolences to family and friends. Cale seemed like a great guy. RIP Brother.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I speak with others about what has happened to Cale, it has become much more real yet harder to accept. It is a great thing to see everyone expressing their thoughts and sharing their stories of this wonderful guy, which certainly helps out to all that are grieving.

I, like many on here that meet him, found Cale to be an instant friend. I had my first contact with him a couple years back over PM's and on the forums, and we had continually joked about when we would finally meet each other. Well, we finally did after he invited me to stay at his house for the weekend of the '07 Mercedes event at Shenandoah. Never having met me he invited me into his home to stay for the weekend! I was expecting an older guy due to his demeanor over the phone and online, maybe 35-45 years old, but Cale greets me and I am quite surprised that he is about my age! We had dinner with his neighbors/best friends later that night and they spill the beans on Cale's past adventures. After the event on Saturday, Cale and I went to a "classic" Maryland crab fest on the shores of the Potomac River. Filled with all the crabs you could eat, all the beer you could drink, all the trouble you could make on hopped up golf carts, and of course all the stories you could hear about Cale! It seems that every friend that Cale introduced me to had a story for me Myself and my cousin John (schoolloans) were invited down to Cale's again to spend the weekend for a PCA event at Summit Main. Again, dinner with his neighbor Matt and Cale's hospitality were in store for us. We had a great weekend on and off the track, with Cale encouraging me on Sunday after I threw down some really fast laps. I remembered him saying "you were running as fast as I ran my first time at Summit, good job". That felt really good coming from someone that I already looked up to. One session he offered to drive behind me to critique my driving, even waving off some point-by's! Cale was working on beating George's 1:28.xxx and I remember him arguing with George past the decimal point His quest for a better lap time and commitment to help others achieve the same were truly remarkable, rarely seen in the ego filled paddocks of race tracks.

Late last year was the last time I saw Cale, but we kept in touch regularly on the boards here and over the phone. Mainly talking about cars, but also about how life was going. I got excited when he told me got a new job based out of Wilmington, so he would be pretty close to my area. It turns out he was on the road, err in the air, a lot more and we never did meet up around here. I last spoke with him at length around the time of NASA Nationals, we talked about plans for next season and Cale encouraged me to become an instructor, I remember him saying "Tom, I think you'd be a great instructor, you have the patience and personality to really do a good job". Again, selfless words from a selfless guy.

Cale will certainly be missed. I will take comfort in the fact that your life ended with the adrenaline pumping, a smile coming out of turn 10, and of course doing something that brought you so much joy. Having met you Cale has certainly shaped my life, and now your passing will shape it even more. Best wishes in heaven and congrats on the championship

Your friend and admirer,
Tom

Tom,
Im not going to in town till saturday night... but you are more than welcome to stay at my house friday night if you want.
Ill let my neighbors know so they arnt freaked out.

There is a queen sized bed in my basement guest bedroom. Its all made up.
If you want to do this let me know and ill send you over the codes to get in the house.

Cale
At Cale's place

At the track w/Cale and schoolloans

They put me into the white group with you guys, so that will be fun. I got the tech sheet... gota figure out how im going to get my car teched... I dont let other people touch her.
Cale, always finding something to tinker with on his car

In the winner's circle after we won our HPDE group

At Shenandoah

Cale, goofing off
Old 11-11-2008, 04:50 PM

I was going through some old pics and found a few from March 11, 2006 when Cale, Keith and I had a great cruise around the Frederick area... Looking back I wish I had gotten a pic of us... I still remember that day and I'm sure I always will now.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Hobbs5313,Nov 10 2008, 11:48 AM]
Old 11-11-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to see what I can do bout Friday... I'm suppose to be going out of town early that morning...Is anyone going up Thurs eve?

Quick Reply: Cale