Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Cale

Old 11-11-2008, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP. We here in NYC metro know what its like to lose a few of our members.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have spoke to Cale only once through PM regarding wheels. Seemed like a good guy then and this thread reinforces the fact. So sorry to hear about your loss. Glad to see the community sticking together. I'm sure he is looking down and smiling at this.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is very tragic news, and a reminder to all of us that life is precious and should be lived to it's fullest. I didn't know Cale, but from reading about him, I wish that I had.

Fair winds and following seas.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is so sad...seems like a great guy....R.I.P.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is very sad news. I never met Cale but I can tell from all the posts that he was a good person.

I am sorry.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:51 AM

As I was driving back Sunday from a great weekend at the American Road Race of Champions at Road Atlanta I received a phone call from a long time road racer and instructor who lives on the other side of the skid pad, telling me about the incident (which he heard from inside his house) and wanting to know if I had any information on the driver.

Although I only occasionally check back in here and I've lost touch with a lot of you, I do still get updates on goings on, both here and at the track. I may have never met Cale in person but, I had heard of not only his on-track skills but how personable he was and how well he fit into our (not so) little anymore M-A community.

It's obvious that he'll be missed by many--both family and friends--and what's important is that the spirit that made him so special to so many will continue to live on in others through his generosity.

We all assume risk when we put ourselves on a race track, just as we assume risks thoughout the course of our everyday lives. We need to strive to minimize those risks and be cautious, but not let them rule our lives.

R.I.P Cale. I wish I had been around more and met you.

-Gregg
Old 11-11-2008, 09:08 AM

I don't remember when I first met Cale, probably where I work at OG Racing or at Summit Point, but I could tell from the start that he had the same passion I have for driving. He would always compliment me on my skills, and I wanted to get to know him better and help him get faster. I didn't realize how fast he had already gotten in the past two years!

I was instructing this weekend and also competed in the Time Trial group. Cale even said he wanted to follow me out on track Saturday because I was faster than him. I knew he was just being himself, humble, soft-spoken, and polite.

I chose to sit out the last TT session on Sunday, and I went up to the Turn 10 tower to watch the few cars that were on track. As they were called to Grid, Cale went screaming out of his paddock spot, but I managed to stop him. I wanted to say goodbye, thinking that I was going to leave the track before him, and wish him good luck. I also told him to be safe. He shook my hand and I could see the smile through his helmet. It pains me to think that I might have been the last person he saw.

It has been difficult to work the past two days, because it is all I think about. My father was there instructing as well, and I know he knows that what we do is both fun, and dangerous. Since we were both there, it really hit us hard knowing that a fellow instructor was hurt.

I want to express my condolences to Cale's family and friends, and those that knew him from S2000 land and NASA. My thoughts are with all of you.

Brian Hair
Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

RIP
Old 11-11-2008, 09:15 AM

I did not know him, but I shared the track with him last weekend.

All I knew about him was that he was so fast and extremely courteous! I remember commenting on how fast he was to numerous people.

What a great driver.

My heart goes out to his family and friends. I only wish I could have known him. From the way he is described here, he sounds like a great person.

Dave Caramanica
Nightfall Blue Lotus Elise
Instructor Group #5X
Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Godspeed and congrats on the win.

Quick Reply: Cale