Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Cale

Old 11-10-2008, 02:13 PM
jfo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is devastating news. It makes me question how "safe" I am racing on the same track, what I would do in a similar evasive situation, and even do I want to continue racing.

What more can be said about a GREAT guy. I am glad that I got to know him and will never forget him.

I like seeing pictures and hearing stories. I have a few.

The pic Skip first posted brought back vivid memories of VIR earlier this year when Cale won Saturday's TTC in his first event.

He was so excited and you can see how excited he made Bobbie!

That night he wanted to get a pic of the both of us with our trophies so he pulled Skip over and put him in charge of the camera.

I later remarked to him that he had that pic setup so it made it look like he beat me in a race where he took 1st and I took 2nd. He was so concerned that people would think that he made sure to point out that we were in different classes when the pic was first posted and that I went faster than him that weekend. The fact is I would be proud to take second place to Cale.

I remember the first time he drove up and showed me that ribbon magnet/sticker on the back of his car. I still don't know where he found it because I looked all over for one myself and haven't had any luck.

"I support Lap Dancers"

I don't have any pics but I remember one weekday in 2007 Cale sent me a pm and said he was in my area. He flew a plane into Allentown for some maintenance and didn't have anything to do for the rest of the day. I said we could meet for dinner or go out to do anything he wanted. He wanted to help work on the race car! I left work as early as I could and when I got home Cale and Matt (his co-pilot/neighbor/college friend) were there with a 30-pack of Miller Lite, the garage open, and set up to work! I had to mount my bumper cover and this low splitter that I designed and apparently designed to be a pain in the ass to install. Cale and Matt were under the car doing most of the grunt work getting me ready to race. I think we were there until 2 in the morning.

I have a thing about numbers so I always seem to ask people why they are racing a certain number. Maybe it has something significant meaning or is special in some way. I forget when I asked Cale this question but I saw the 57 on the car and I asked him why he was running that particular number. With a red car and number 57 I'm thinking ketchup and Heinz 57. He said it was because I was racing 75. I was floored. He didn't say it but I think he wanted to see 2 S2000's racing and winning on the track #57 and #75.

I spoke to him on Saturday night and he told me his time and 1st place. I told him congratulations and that he went faster than I ever did around that track. He mentioned that condiditons were perfect and so on. Typical Cale, humble and downplaying his accomplishments.

He will be missed for sure.

BTW What came first, the pic or the avatar?

Old 11-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Typical Cale, humble and downplaying his accomplishments.
That's one of the many things that made Cale such a special guy. He was very good at everything he did, but just had absolutely no need to boost his ego through self glorification or tearing down others.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't even know what to say... I will miss you Cale
Old 11-10-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never fun to see a racer go to early, hope the family is ok
Old 11-10-2008, 02:44 PM

OMG! this is so sad. My thought and prayers are with his family.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:47 PM

Sorry to hear this tragic news . I met Cale only twice, the first one was my first CDC autox early this year and he was an awesome guy from the get go. I'm a newbi then and never met him but he offered his tent for me to join the group. The second one was my first track day last month. He instructed me for one session and he was so confident and relax (always smilling) that he was able to make me drive my best.

I'm still in disbelief this happened to an overall great man. My thoughts and prayers to Cale and family.

P.S. Also my big congratulations to Cale for winning the 2008 TTC.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:49 PM

Oh my god. I just saw this and feel ill. Like some others have said before me, I was not lucky enough to know Cale very well. We had met at a few S2000 events and of course at track days.

From my small amount of exposure to him, I can say that I was honestly struck at how genuine and kind a person he was. The type of guy with whom you could instantly get along.

You'll be sorely missed by those who knew you well, and while it's selfish of me I'm saddened that I won't get the opportunity to know you better....

Rest in peace.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just now reading this...deepest sympathies to Cale's family...may he rest in peace and may his family find comfort in this challenging time.

In addition to his many S2K events, gatherings, meets, etc...he attended the largest S2K event on the Dragon in April of 2007...our 5th Annual Wake the Dragon event.

You'll be missed Cale.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:00 PM

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I only met Cale once, but he was friendly and very open. My prayers and thoughts are with Cale, his family and his friends.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

^^
The first time I met Cale.
Always a great guy.

Quick Reply: Cale