Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Brake Pads for the track

Old 03-17-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads for the track

I'm looking to pick up some brake pads for the upcoming NERD-R/CDC track day at Summit Point next month. At my last track day I started to experience some brake fade - not a good feeling (the pads were OEM with plenty of pad left). I had the opportunity to ride with an instructor that had track pads and that really seemed to make a difference. He didn't seem to loose any braking throughout his entire run.

The Carbotech website recommended virgin or turned rotors for their pads so I've got a set of rotors on order from Hardtopguy that I'll just use for the track.

I'm leaning towards Carbotech pads, but would like to hear your thoughts. I plan on sticking with OEM pads for street use and will swap out pads and rotors for track days so I don't really care about noise or dust.

Right now the drivetrain is stock, but hopefully next year I'll be able to do something about that!

Thanks!!

John
Old 03-17-2008, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to be running on OEM tires, Carbotech AX6 is a good choice. I ran most of my track days(8) last year on AX6/RE050 combination.

XP8s and 10s are best used with R-comps.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:48 PM

I'm currently running Yokohama Advan Neova tires all the way around.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 4WheelCBRR,Mar 17 2008, 05:37 PM
If you are going to be running on OEM tires, Carbotech AX6 is a good choice. I ran most of my track days(8) last year on AX6/RE050 combination.

XP8s and 10s are best used with R-comps.
I just ordered the 8 & 10's, but will be on OEM tires with existing rotors. The rotors have 20K on them. I put new front OEM pads on before FC '07, but didn't really need to. They look a lot thinner through the caliper, than when you pull them out. Anyhow, the rotors look virgin.

I can't believe everyone uses a special set of rotors, just for the track. And I know your rotors wouldn't last very long if you turned them before every track day just to put on the Carbotech brakes. Hopefully, someone experienced with this will chime in here.

Pads will be here in about two weeks, so I should be able to bed them and then test drive them some on 211 over to Luray.

Special THANK YOU to SKIP for the 15% off certificate I won at the FC'07 track event drawing! I used the same excuse the +1 does all the time..... Honey, I am saving money.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:41 PM

You don't really need a dedicated set of rotors for track days. It's a pain to change rotors and they're not that cheap.

Last year, I used the same set of rotors for track, autoX and weekend driving. I just swapped the OEM brake pads with race pads for track days and just bedded the pads in on the highway the night before the event. I used Hawk Blues then switched to Carbotech XP10/8's.

Then I got tired of swapping brake pads and just left the race pads in year round. They're not bad at all on the streets or even at autoX events as long as you remember to warm them up just a bit. I also don't drive my car in the winter.

I also agree with Mani that the XP10/8's are a lot of brake for street tires. It's easy to activate the ABS when the tires aren't warmed up. You can still use them though.

And of course, don't forget to flush your brake fluid.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Lou, glad you got to use the coupon!

John, the laborious route you are electing to take is the ideal one. Your pads and rotors will more than likely last a very long time as I know you do not track frequently... yet. Again, that's the ideal situation.

You then want to match pads to tires, because brakes do not stop you, tires do. If your tires' grip is much higher than your pads' capabilities, you'll never never optimum stopping/slowing. The inverse is also true. If your pads exceed the capabilities of your tires, you'll be engaging ABS too quickly/frequently. The car's weight also plays a part.

The Advans you have are considered pretty good for a street tire. You may want to talk to the gang at Carbotech to see what combo of pads might work best for your application. Carbos are not know for their initial bite, but do have very good stopping power. They are very easy on rotors when it comes to performance pads.

While I use Carbotech XP10/8's with my r-compounds and like them, there are other companies out there, too. Hawk comes to mind. I think HTG sells them. If you do elect to go with Carbotech, please let them know that you appreciate their sponsorship at last year's Fall Colors. It makes it easier to secure future help.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hobbs5313,Mar 17 2008, 07:41 PM
And of course, don't forget to flush your brake fluid.
Yes! Very important. More important than the pads themselves.

Knowing John like I think I know him, he will not mind switching out the braking system. Again, his situation is ideal, but not commonly practiced. To get optimum use of a pad, a thin film needs to be transferred directly to the rotor. If there is a layer of film from the previous pad and the new pad is a different brand or different compound from the same company, one would be best served sanding the rotor. Again, you don't have to, but it will give the best results. A bedding process should then follow.

If you are replacing a pad with the same brand & compound, bedding is not necessary as the film on the rotor matches the new pad.

Fluid!!! I wanted to say that again. Thanks, Calvin!
Old 03-17-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Mar 17 2008, 07:45 PM
... because brakes do not stop you; tires do.
At last month's event, there was a brake clinic sponsored by one of the brake manufacturers. The opening question was, "When you're coming down the front straight and you hit the brakes before T1, what stops you?" I was the very first one to speak out, "Tires!" That correct answer netted me a package of Oreos!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the good info!

I flushed my brake fluid just before fall colors last year, so I should still be good for April.

I've got air tools so swapping rotors isn't a big deal. It really isn't that much more work than just doing pads (once you get those blasted phillips screws out the first time - I didn't bother putting those stupid things back in). I'd rather swap rotors than having to reseat the brakes every time I swapped pads.

In checking the boards I notice that several folks running Carbotech pads run XP 10/8's. What is the reasoning behind not running XP10's both in the front and back? Off hand I would think that it would be better to have all four brakes set the same unless the brake proportioning valve isn't set right - I don't think the valve is easily adjusted on our car.

I seem to be sliding down the slippery slope of track addiction (as much as Diane allows). If things work out I'd eventually like to get a set of R compounds once my skill level warrants the cost. Since these pads are rather pricy I'd rather have more brake than tire initially since the pads will outlast the rubber - it will also give me an excuse for the R compounds.

Skip - I'll let the folks at Carbotech know how I heard about them if I go that route.

Thanks!!

John
Old 03-17-2008, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys! Of course the fluid gets replaced before every track event. My tires are good and I can't afford spare wheels and R compounds.right now. Maybe I can contribute towards NERD Racing's inventory for rentals, so they could include AP2 wheels ;~)

Quick Reply: Brake Pads for the track