Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Bike Owners: Sport Bike or NOT or a scooter?

Old 03-27-2004, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Owners: Sport Bike or NOT or a scooter?

Hey gang,

I'm putting too many miles on my S as a daily driver and loosing the zip factor from the car. So, I'm thinking of a alternate route.

I know we got some bike owners on Mid-A. Anyone recommend a decent bike for a beginner?
Used sport bike will be better but I guess I could buy it new non sport version. Any good dealers that I could check out in NoVa? (New or Used) $3-5K.
This one looks fun and affordable, too bad it's for track use only http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/s...ModelId=NSR50R4
The new Rebel is only $3K

If nothing else, how bad would it be if I were to buy a scooter? I would use it only in good weather and to cut through DC traffic to go to Bethesda from Arlington. I know all the back roads, so doing the max 35-40 mph would be fine. And these are affordable (sub $2K) and no bike license required.

I just can't see myself metro'ing and don't want a beater car right now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

LT
Old 03-27-2004, 11:44 PM

This isn't Spain or Italy. People on scooters look like dorks over here. Besides, you'll do that twice and be sick of it. If you're going on 2 wheels, get a regular bike. Car drivers barely notice the full-size bikes that make noise -- you'd have no chance on a scooter. They'd run you off the road ... or run over you.

My first bike was a '94 Honda CBR 600 F2. Plenty of performance for most anyone. You should be able to find a late 90s 600cc bike for around $3k-$4k. Don't get caught up in the hype from bike magazines, etc. 99% of the riders out there can't extract the full performance from a 10 year old small displacement bike, let alone the new 1000cc RR or something similar.

Take a motorcycle safety course through MVA first though. You can learn to ride on their bikes (in case you drop it) and you can get your license on their bikes too. Well worth it.

Question: How has the S2000 lost it's zip? You mean the thrill is gone for you or the car is actually feeling different?

I ride a sportbike, but I don't use it for commuting. To ride safely (ie. to keep your legs) you need to ride with the proper gear, etc. and with the proper mindset and with full concentration. Don't be a squid. For short trips, a bike is a pain in the butt. By the time you suit up, you could have been there already. For long trips, a bike is also a pain in the butt. In fact, a bike is only good for fun riding when you have ample time and no place in particular to be. Besides, in the MD/DC area it gets nice and humid. If used for commuting, you'll arrive sweaty everywhere you go. You might not mind, but your co-workers and friends might not appreciate the aroma of gasoline and sweat. Finally, don't forget about the pop-up thunderstorms this area gets virtually everyday at 5pm during the summer. Rain riding sucks -- it's not a macho thing -- it's just not fun.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:28 AM

scooters do look lame around here. i recommend a used cbr600. i know its not a good newbie bike, but its affordable, not too hard to ride, has great performance PLUS its a honda . if you got balls the size of melons, get a liter bike j/k.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:35 PM

Dude.. i have the perfect bike for you. I have a Aprillia 50RS, its an italian bike with only a 50cc that does 60mph and is a 6 speed. They sale for 4200 new, i have a 2000 that im tryin to sale for 2000. It has a few Scratches.

THats the only pic i have. You need no license to drive this. Its technically a moped. It is actually a 75cc now, it has brembo breaks, pirelli tires, arrow exhaust... its a fun little bike to mess around on, i just dont ride it anymore. I used it to commute around college.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:42 PM

Go ahead, bad mouth scooters -

I've got a derestricted Aprilia SR-50 scooter, and it's perfect to get around on in the city - roll it up on the curb and lock it, no more searching for legitimate parking spots!!

I suppose the downside is that I look like a dork, but this dork isn't really too pressed about what anyone else thinks!!!!!

Steve

PS - it's also great for training behind if you race bicycles, futher acknowleding my dorkiness...
Old 03-29-2004, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a yzf600 then an R6 and loved them both. They were my daily drivers for a couple of years.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:58 AM

LT'S S2K,
I have an 01 Triumph TT600 (pics). It was my first bike & it's been great! Just the right amount of power in my opinion. Not quite as fast as your F4i or R6, but just fast enough. In my opinion it's the most comfortable bike in the 600 sport class & it's easy to ride. I've been thinking about selling it for a little while now so I can move on to something else. If you interested we can talk price & perhaps meet up somewhere so you can check it out if your interested.

I definitely wouldn't recommend anything under 500cc around here. I would also highly encourage you to invest in the Motorcycle Safty Foundation's course. It's one weekend & I think it's like $80.
-jeremy
Old 03-29-2004, 10:49 AM

I have been riding since I was about 12 years old (damn that's a looong time )

My first street bike was a 64 Honda CB 350, now I ride a Harley.

All the suggestions to take the MSF or the course through the MVA is a MUST!!!
No one has any business on the MD / VA / DC roads without this minimum instruction! My 2 cents.

When picking your first bike there are a couple of things to consider:

1. Distance you ride every day.
2. Riding position
3. Highway/beltway or city/rural roads
4. Personal preference.

The distance issue is related to the riding position, like Honda 224 GTS said a sports bike can get uncomfortable pretty quick.

The scooter is fine if you never plan on going over 30 mph.

Sport bikes handle the best and are the fastest, also the most dangerous because of inexperienced riders or riders that take too many chances.

That leaves a cruser style bike, they have a more upright riding position and are a little more comfortable for an extended period of time.

Other things to consider (also as mentioned by Honda 224 GTS) are weather (in the liquid form) as well as cold, heat, and so on. Bikes are exposed to all the elements, both good and bad. You will find people that have been riding for a long time can put up with the bad to savor the good.

There is nothing as fun as riding (except for our beloved S2000). I still love getting my bike out to go to work or a weekend ride.

I think a lot of guys that frequent this forum would chose a sport bike, and to tell the truth I would like to have all forms, a dirt bike, a sport bike, a curser and a touring bike. Then also the S2000 and I would truly be a happy camper

Good luck in your quest.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:25 PM

Thanks gang for the advice. I never owned a bike. My oldest brother had a Honda Nighthawk 750. He let me play with it couple of times, but I chickened out. My 2nd older brother had the Honda 600 RR or something (crotch rocket), I rode the b!tch seat. I actually rode couple of scooters, they were easy to ride.

Honda 224 GTS: "Question: How has the S2000 lost it's zip? You mean the thrill is gone for you or the car is actually feeling different?"
Not the car itself, but more rather driving in the DC traffic, especially Thursday and Friday evening and if I get off work late on any other weekday, there are NO zip factor stuck in traffic. And shortly after the traffic clears, well, I'm home. In regards to the MSC, the wait for the motorcycle safety course is wayyyyy toooo long in NoVa.

S2K PikeStyle, I'll PM you. That looks nice. Even a new one of those is within my price limit. And, you said NO license is required? That may save me time.

This will be my first bike. (I'll rule out the scooter idea for now). I don't want anything too powerful. Something "light" to start. Light on the throttle, accel, speed, weight, etc.

S2000 is my first sports car. I already spun that because I didn't know better (at the beginning). I'm NOT planning on spinning a bike at all.

HotRedJohn, that's for the advice. That's why I thought about the Honda Rebel: practical, affordable, reliable, and I won't be too tempted to drive/ride too crazy.

Steve (10 blade), Jeremy, and Razor, yeah 600 is most that I want.

Steve (BaronRojo), no worries, my girl loves scooters, that's why I thought about it. I figured, who cares what I look like in the morning/evening traffic through DC. Noone will recognize my face. Also, it wouldn't look too bad "scootin" up and around DC with my girl.

Thanks gang,

LT
Old 03-29-2004, 08:25 PM

LT.....i work at Criswell Powersports in germantown, md. If your really interested in getting a bike or scooter, or you jus want to come up and hang out....lemme know. I sell everything but suzuki
Jon

Quick Reply: Bike Owners: Sport Bike or NOT or a scooter?