Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Berk 3" Exhaust Install on MY02 - AP1

Old 05-05-2013, 08:08 AM

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Berk 3" Exhaust Install on MY02 - AP1

Alright, ladies and gents. My newly acquired exhaust should be arriving in the forthcoming days along with a new gasket, spring bolt, and rubber AP2 hangars (the system didnt include them.)

Most likely will be doing this install in the garage with the car on jack stands. I've never done this before and the only other thing I've done on the car prior is install the FIPK. I've searched the forums on the step-by-step exhaust removal, but the thread is dated and pics are no longer hosted. Does anyone have an updated pic thread of the removal? What are the tips and tricks I need to know when doing this install from the headerback?

I appreciate your assistance - I'm in Richmond, VA. I'll update the thread when I have a definite day I plan on doing the install - if anyone wants to lend a hand and offer advice and tips or just come hang out with some car people.

Thanks,
Mo
Old 05-05-2013, 10:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's really easy. Having 2 people handle the stock exhaust is recommended because it's really heavy. Make sure you have anti-seize and some soapy water for the rubber hangers to slide out and in easier. If the bolts don't want to come out, get some PB Blaster.

The whole installation is the bolts and hangers. I had the most trouble on the hangers. Take out #7 hanger on the resonator first. Then move on to both #7 hangers on the muffler. Take them out on the top first. Have the rear wheels off and push from the wheel well. Make sure to have gloves when doing this! So when removed, the #7 hangers should still be on the exhaust. The last hangers you have to worry about are the triangular ones. Try twisting/pushing them back and forth while applying pressure towards the front of the car.

After the exhaust is free, remove the rear bar between the resonator and diff in this picture. I believe it's just 2 bolts holding it.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:32 AM

Hey thanks for that quick write up - read it a few times and its making sense. I'm going to try to get under the car sometime today to take a look at whats going on under there first hand.

That bar you are talking about between the resonator and diff - is that the one in the picture that is perpendicular to the exhaust at the rear wheels? I'm assuming that bar goes right back on once the new exhaust is installed...
Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The higher you can put your car up on jackstands, the easier it will be for you to loosen the bolts, especially the three that connect the exhaust to the catalytic converter.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you lived closer I would give you a hand. It is pretty easy to do as long as you have a buddy there to help. PB blaster, a breaker bar that slides over your socket wrench, and WD-40 for the hangers is essential! And having the car up on four jack stands is much better then only two. Be sure to post up any questions. It once you get under the car I'm sure you will figure it out. If you are removing the oem cat then I will say that you should break the O2 sensor loose before unbolting anything. Then you can unscrew it very easily once the cat is out from under the car. I think you might be able to unclip the wires going to the sensor but I never worried about it.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And the rear bar actually has five bolts that need to be removed
Old 05-05-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoops! 5 bolts it is. They unbolt and bolt right back on. Thanks for clarifying baZurk.

Be careful with the o2 sensor. It's fragile. When putting it on your new exhaust, you can anti-seize the threads. Do not get it on the sensor itself.

Berk 3" Exhaust Install on MY02 - AP1-ued88aq.jpg
Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Never removed the stock exhaust from an AP1 so I don't know if the hangers make it easier or harder but on the AP2 I thoroughly hate having to try and get them all off. Honda did a very good job making sure the exhaust never goes anywhere....including off the car The new exhaust shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to install though so that's a good thing.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Silicone spray and a set of channel-lock pliers is the best way.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Never removed the stock exhaust from an AP1 so I don't know if the hangers make it easier or harder but on the AP2 I thoroughly hate having to try and get them all off. Honda did a very good job making sure the exhaust never goes anywhere....including off the car The new exhaust shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to install though so that's a good thing.
I had to order the rubber AP2 hangers since the exhaust is the AP2 version (which means it doesn't include the hangers). New parts should make things easier - but it's probably getting the old parts off that's challenging.

Also, one more question. I ordered (1) spring and (1) bolt - when I was looking over that diagram above, it looks as if I might need (2). Is there only one spring bolt?

Quick Reply: Berk 3" Exhaust Install on MY02 - AP1