Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Baltimore-ish area performance driving schools?

Old 12-11-2012 | 04:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtycrabcakes
Sorry to bring back a semi-old thread, but I had a question. I was talking to an instructor with the MD BWM Club (and he seemed to be a very knowledgeable guy) and if I remember correctly, he said that autocross isn't really a great way to learn because it teaches you bad habits that don't necessarily translate well to the street and/or the track. He was saying the most valuable time a beginner can spend is usually on the skid pad. I didn't get the impression that he was anti-autocross though, just that it didn't necessarily make you a better driver.

Do you guys agree with this or have any comments? I haven't done either (tracked or autocrossed) so I have no opinion on the matter - just interested in hearing what others have to say.
Not sure what he meant buy this. I will say that the way winning Autocross cars are set up (huge tires on a square setup, spring rates out the wazoo, as much camber as possible (without going full hellaflush)) are probably not ideal on the street or track. However, learning to control your car in lots of different maneuvers can only be a good thing.

I haven't driven an S on the track, so I can't speak to that, but I will say that after my 2.5 years of autocrossing I am much more familiar with the car and it's capabilities. I would have been stuck on I-95 in the snow during that winter snowstorm 2 years ago if not for the reactions I learned autocrossing that almost became instinct when the rear started to lose traction.
Old 12-12-2012 | 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe he meant it more in terms of racing - that Autocross teaches bad habits in terms of racing? Not really sure. Thanks for the info though. I do plan on trying out some events in the spring - I definitely need to get a better feel for the car's limits. I feel like could definitely be pushing it further than I currently do. I also have some crap tires that I would like to wear down quickly so I can get some Star Specs without getting grief from my wife.
Old 12-12-2012 | 07:00 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by aeonracer
Seat time is seat time.

You get a LOT more of it doing track days though. I never really enjoyed devoting an entire day to getting <5 minutes of actual seat time at autocrosses.

Finances willing, I'll be going 100% track events in the future and not looking back.
Old 12-12-2012 | 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aeonracer
Seat time is seat time.

Autocross may not be the best place to learn, but it still gives you a feel for what your car does under certain situations and how to control it. Just like anything, you get what you put in, so if you really push yourself and take time to talk to folks/instructors and get ride alongs, then you will learn a tremendous amount. If you are scared to push yourself and your car, you will get little to nothing out of it. Don't be afraid to spin out and eat some cones.

Ideally, for learning purposes you'd be on a wet skid pad, under controlled conditions, at minimal speed, inducing loss of traction, and learning to recover from it. However, I'd argue you can learn just as much if not more from autocrossing...
Do people get pissed at people eating cones? I mean, someone has to go fix what you knock down, right?
Old 12-12-2012 | 07:40 AM

The only time anybody will get mad at you at an autocross is if you are reckless. Picking up cones is expected.
Old 12-12-2012 | 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TopGear
Originally Posted by aeonracer' timestamp='1355171142' post='22201519
Seat time is seat time.

You get a LOT more of it doing track days though. I never really enjoyed devoting an entire day to getting <5 minutes of actual seat time at autocrosses.

Finances willing, I'll be going 100% track events in the future and not looking back.
Learning at the track can get very expensive

I would personally develop a foundation at autox events, and use your limited seat time wisely. Like I said before, push yourself, and your car, and you'll develop the foundation for a skillset to have fun and start learning at the track. A 60 second Auto X course is also MUCH less wear and tear on your car compared to a 20 minute track session with higher speeds, more braking, and generally more heat related issues to deal with.

That being said, once you go track, you won't ever go back (to anything else)!
Old 12-12-2012 | 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by TopGear
Originally Posted by aeonracer' timestamp='1355171142' post='22201519
Seat time is seat time.

This is very true.

However when I first got into autocrossing I had just as much fun watching the other cars attack the course and observing the different ways the chassis's (plural?) would handle the braking and cornering forces. It was interesting to notice that the cars that looked the slowest (gentle, controlled, smooth) were usually the fastest.

If you're outgoing you can talk to lots of people, tell them you're new, and get lots of ride-alongs in different cars and observe firsthand lots of different driving styles and approaches to the same course.

Also pretty much everyone there is happy to be there, and they're very willing to help out and talk about car stuff. Just makes for a fun day overall for the most part IMHO.

Autocross costs a lot less money, but you do have much more non-driving time. Time is money
Old 12-12-2012 | 12:44 PM

The biggest reason I personally do lots of autocross and have never once been on the track is risk. At an autocross, with some exceptions, you'd have to actually try to damage the car to damage the car. I don't feel this level of risk is the same on the track (otherwise why would they require roll bars?).

That being said, now that I have a daily driver I have every intention of taking the S out on the track.
Old 12-12-2012 | 12:48 PM

True. Autocross is definitely lower risk.
Old 12-12-2012 | 02:15 PM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by grkboy707
I know how everyone here always says how the best mod you can do is better yourself, and I'm finally looking into doing so. I'm looking for a driving school within an hour or 2 max from the Baltimore area to help me learn how to really let it scream on an autocross type track, and maybe help with emergency maneuvers and such. I've looked on the Internet but can't really find anything decent. Anybody?

Just lurking here today from Upstate (NY).

Your might Google "car control clinic" or "high performance driving school". I know the established racing schools such as Skip Barber and Bondurant put on good car control clinics. I think there is a car control clinic offered at Summit Point Raceway, and possibly something at New Jersey Motor Speedway.

I've seen some of the different 1 day Skip Barber programs. There are classroom sessions on vehicle dynamics, and then the cars go out on the autocross or skidpad. Skip Barber also does a swerve and avoid drill that looks pretty interesting.

Other groups and clubs also do programs. I know SCDA has started offering half-day autocross/skidpad sessions at Lime Rock. NASA (National Auto Sports Assn.) offers car control clinics. Go on their website and find your region. Check the regional Porsche clubs (PSA) and BMW clubs. Also don't forget to check out the SCCA.

Having said all that, and not being an autocrosser, you might be just as happy going out on track with one of the many groups that sponsor HPDE events - that's High Performance Driver's Education. NASA, for example, would put a beginner in a novice group, have classroom sessions on vehicle dynamics, threshold braking and racing line; and then send you out with an instructor in the car. All you really need is a helmet and a car. It's a kick!

I've done 4 HPDE track days in a stock S-2000 at Watkins Glen, Lime Rock and New Hampshire Motor Speedway. You don't have to qualify for the INDY 500 and it doesn't have to be that hard on the car - especially in novice. And lately you can buy car damage insurance (I haven't).

But in the beginning, I didn't want to put a roll bar in the S. So instead, I bought a MGA for vintage racing. I've had my share of 180s, 270s and off track excursions. So I did two race schools with Skip Barber - one in a Miata MX-5 and one in a Formula Dodge. It was pretty interesting to throw the car around on the autocross. They teach "control, pause and recover". I hope it all helped me improve my timing though.

I'll edit this post to attach a video of a fellow S-2000 driver who recently did the autocross, skidpad and then the track at Lime Rock in a S2000 with SCDA.

http://youtu.be/t-R4J_0k7Qw