Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Anyone local have an impact wrench?

Old 02-04-2005, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone local have an impact wrench?

Trying to change the oil on my car and I can't get the damn oil drain bolt off my car. It shouldn't be this difficult, I'm thinking that whoever owned the car before me or whoever they brought it to must have overtightened the damn bolt.

Was wondering if I could save a few bucks, and rather than bring it to the Honda dealership to have them get it off with an impact wrench if someone local had one maybe they could help me out?

The bolt is a little bit stripped but I think with an impact wrench it would still probably come out.

Will buy lunch or beers or something for anyone who might be able to help out
Old 02-04-2005, 02:15 PM

Uh... if the bolt and pan is stripped.. how are you going to get it back in when you take it out? Just curious.

Peter
Old 02-04-2005, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 4theheckof_it' date='Feb 4 2005, 06:15 PM
Uh... if the bolt and pan is stripped.. how are you going to get it back in when you take it out? Just curious.

Peter
Pan isn't stripped. The bolt head is stripped a little bit.

If someone has an impact wrench and can get it out then I just have to run over to Honda and buy a new bolt for $10.00 ... Not a big deal. I can take the other car to go over to Honda and get the bolt.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:33 PM

Hmm.. I read your thread in "under the hood" .. and it seems that if you are having this much trouble taking off the bolt, then the bolt is already cross threaded into the pan. So that means you may not be able to put the bolt back on after you take it off. That's why I asked the before mentioned question. Keep in mind that once you get that bolt off, you may not be able to put any bolt back on in it's place, and you may need a new oil pan. Dont' ask me how I know. Just trust me on this.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 4theheckof_it' date='Feb 4 2005, 06:33 PM
Hmm.. I read your thread in "under the hood" .. and it seems that if you are having this much trouble taking off the bolt, then the bolt is already cross threaded into the pan. So that means you may not be able to put the bolt back on after you take it off. That's why I asked the before mentioned question. Keep in mind that once you get that bolt off, you may not be able to put any bolt back on in it's place, and you may need a new oil pan. Dont' ask me how I know. Just trust me on this.
Yeah ... maybe I'm better off just bringing the car to Honda if the pan is stripped. This sucks considering the car is pretty much brand new ... Only 3000 miles on the damn thing!
Old 02-04-2005, 05:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You might wanna check this fella's >for sale< thread...

Dunno the price from hardtopguy...but he'd be your best bet if you don't want hassles and you want best OEM price with least sticker shock.

Definitely agree here on how much trouble those threads are in right now . If you look at the car's value as the larger target...a compromised oil pan / drain bolt blowing out ~ 5 quarts of oil would not be a wallet-opener you'd wanna face .

Good luck!

- Dave
Old 02-04-2005, 05:40 PM

i've got an impact wrench
Old 02-05-2005, 08:54 AM

Hey thanks for the offer man ... I ended up being able to get the bolt out myself using one of those special pieces for getting off rounded bolts.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:24 AM

sounds good...
Old 02-05-2005, 08:01 PM

Received 521 Likes on 308 Posts

May I suggest that one of the best investments that an S2000 owner can make for do it yourself work is in two torque wrenches. One in foot pounds and the other in inch pounds.

Considering the extensive use of alumium in the engine and drive train this is the only way to help ensure that you will have stuff tightened to spec. This also includes bleeding the brakes. If I remember correctly the spec is 14 inch pounds which does not seem like a lot of torque. So it is easy to overtighten.

Quick Reply: Anyone local have an impact wrench?