Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Anyone have a 60GB VIDEO IPOD in Richmond Area?

Old 02-04-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love the ipod video. I personallyhave the 60gig
Old 02-04-2006, 10:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LiQiCE,Feb 4 2006, 01:19 PM
I had the Invisishield or something very similar ... a plastic cling sheet that fit on the back of my ipod and on the lcd screen.

My iPod's disk died, and the Apple "Genius Bar" (thats what their tech support in store are called) told me that the plastic shield was suffocating the metal backside from acting as a heatsink and was causing my iPod to overheat. He said normal plastic cases have some sort of vent in the back to allow the iPod to cool ... I have no clue if he was right or not, but I stopped using the plastic shield on my replacement and this iPod has worked fine since.

I have a 4th Gen Clickwheel iPod, so maybe it won't happen to the iPod Video ... but just a warning!
Thanks for the heads up . I gather that what I've purchased will basically be a silicone condom of some sort. Apparently a mutha to install, but once in place, fits very snugly, etc. Perhaps, after the installation, I might get an exacto knife and cut out some panels in the back side if I believe the whole of the cover wouldn't be compromised for the effort. I know I still plan on purchasing an impact cover from one of our S2000 members, Laz (aka Aaw Dude) at his website www.ishok.com. I just want the clear condom cover to keep the front, especially the vid screen, from getting marred up too badly.

Thanks again for the heatsoak tip! I'd say its possible. Fact is, there's no fan thats pushin' heat off the unit. So such a shield could potentially trap some heat. And with the video processor working in the same sized unit as a general music iPod, a few degrees could mean the difference between functioning...and paperweight
Old 02-04-2006, 01:59 PM

the condoms aren't hard to install... I had one for my mini and it went on easily.

Old 02-04-2006, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ITS NOT STATIC CLING!!! The invisible shield stuff is adhesive. Pretty much the same stuff they use for 3m clear bra. Was originally designed to protect the leading edge of helicopter rotor blades.

You have to use soapy water to put it on. Yes, that means ya get the ipod WET! Put it on like tint, smooth out the bubbles, let it dry for a day and your good to go. Nice thing is, if you goof, just peel it off, get it wet again and restick it.

I wouldn't worry about cutting holes in it, its not one of these thick cases that insulate the IPOD.

Shield comes in two pieces, front & back. Don't have to put both on, but I would. Might as well keep the back just as shiny as the front, right?
Old 02-04-2006, 06:52 PM

Old 02-14-2006, 02:22 PM

did u get urs yet? I shipped it out days and days ago? Let me know how you like it
Old 02-14-2006, 03:11 PM

The Speck tough-skin is hands down the best cover for the video iPods imo. The screen protector is very scratch resistant and the shell is a nice shock absorbing rubber.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by tims2k,Feb 14 2006, 06:22 PM
did u get urs yet? I shipped it out days and days ago? Let me know how you like it
Tim it arrived Monday evening . SUPER-well packed . Charged it up and she was good ta go. Powered up and everything was in German ......but I fiddled around and in short order I had reset it back to its default (and English) settings .

I've already dumped well-near 2GB of goodies on it! I've got a few "ridiculously current movies" :wink/wink:, a mess of episodes of Reboot, a couple Lost episodes, and about 150 songs.

So appreciative Tim...thanks!

Payment is well on its way to ya!

- Dave
Old 02-15-2006, 03:51 AM

^ good deal. I just picked up a 60gb for $200 dood was in need of crack or something ... but yeah, didnt come with box or CD but I got everything else and is in perfect condition.

I got a good 40gb of stuff on thier already between several DVD movies, a good 2000 songs (techno, black, white, slow, old). 14 top gear videos, the 5th gear Williams F1 video, all the "Getaway in Stockholm" series, 360 videos, OPTIONS videos, 60+ music videos ... i reall just went buck wild. This program i use to convert lets me dump things in a queue so when one is done, it heads on to another. I prolly converted 100 videos before I went to bed and by the morning it was done. When I woke up, i put them in certain playlist, got ready for work, IPOD was updated right before i left.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by eepr5,Feb 4 2006, 10:19 PM
ITS NOT STATIC CLING!!! The invisible shield stuff is adhesive. Pretty much the same stuff they use for 3m clear bra. Was originally designed to protect the leading edge of helicopter rotor blades.

You have to use soapy water to put it on. Yes, that means ya get the ipod WET! Put it on like tint, smooth out the bubbles, let it dry for a day and your good to go. Nice thing is, if you goof, just peel it off, get it wet again and restick it.

I wouldn't worry about cutting holes in it, its not one of these thick cases that insulate the IPOD.

Shield comes in two pieces, front & back. Don't have to put both on, but I would. Might as well keep the back just as shiny as the front, right?
Sorry, the one I had was static cling. I assumed this one was the same. In any case, mine was not very thick either, but the Apple 'genius' said that my iPod ran noticeably warmer than other people's iPods.

After mine died, I decided to stop using the shielding on the replacement. The new one is scratched like crazy, but it hasn't died.