Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Anyone with Camber Kits on their S2000?

Old 11-09-2004, 07:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone with Camber Kits on their S2000?

Okay, so peeking under the very lowered Bruised Banana with a flashlight a few weeks back it was apparent that I was going to need to do a cross-swap of the front shoes again...and soon! Tonight I pulled the front wheels, slapped on my stocker 16"s with Blizzaks and am heading to the local tire shop of choice to have the tires swapped on the wheels. But I couldn't believe just how worn the fronts had become. The inner 3 inches across are nearly pie-bald. No cord or anything...just *very* much down to even rubber. Yet the rest of the tread across to the outsides are in super shape.

This tread wear is definitely an unfortunate testiment to both my lowered setup as well, likely, to my alignment specs. Neither of which have I particularly been disappointed with. Handling has been super IMO. However, tires cost $$$. And I'm not one to just to$$ money away. So I'm considering installing camber kits...maybe even all the way around. But I'm curious to know what to expect. Out of the box, my mind says, less tire wear. But if these kits re-adjust the geometry again, then does that throw desired alignment specs out the window having to scratch them for all new ones? What about handling? This relatively agressive camber setup has not disappointed me in handling characteristics for the car. But what happens when the wheel "flattens out" and more rubber is constantly on the road? Do I lose it in the hard pressed corners?

Rambling here on a question that would best be answered by someone posting their own experiences with camber kits. Thanks in advance!

- Dave
Old 11-09-2004, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought our cars had built in camber kits?
Old 11-09-2004, 07:30 PM

Old 11-10-2004, 02:39 AM

Eh? ... I dunno how adjustable the camber is on our cars, but I thought it was already adjustable to some degree as well. I know for various camber kits on my TL, there's a -1 degree to +1 degree kit, and a +1 degree to +3 degree kit, so maybe you just need something with a different adjustability range? ...

I did a quick search though and a bunch of people seemed to suggest that a camber kit was not needed:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...43348&hl=camber
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...25597&hl=camber
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...27379&hl=camber

If your drop is extreme enough that you cant get it back to stock specs, and I believe this is the case, try talking to 'peteriap' on this board or going to his website, www.iapdirect.com ... He was talking about selling a new camber kit for extreme drops on the S2000. Although some have said even if Honda says they can't adjust it anymore, sometimes a different alignment shop can adjust it more.

Anyways, I'm unfortunately not familiar enough with how the camber kit would throw off your alignment settings, but it shouldn't have any negative results other than to be able to adjust the camber within the adjustability range. On my TL, it just allows me to lower the car more and still bring my camber within spec.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have also heard that a camber kit is not needed on the S2000 - you just have to get the car aligned more often.

If your camber is set too aggressively to avoid rubbing, then you need to look at a fender roller......the best I could do was just to raise the car back up. I have to say that since I got my coilovers we (Tony and I)have raised and lowered this car more times than I want to remember, and only once have I been happy with the total ride quality after one of the many alignments. This Friday I'm putting the car back to the stock alignment in hopes that the ride quality will be good again and my tires can take a few more miles.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:01 AM

I knew our camber was adjustable to some degree ...
Old 11-10-2004, 05:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carlo - all cars can have camber and toe adjusted - that's part of the reason why alignments exist
Old 11-10-2004, 06:31 AM

I would recommend doing what Pointy is saying and just getting a decent alignment decently often on the car to stop extreme wear. We have a guy at our BMW lot that does a great job, set me at 1 degree in front & 2 degree's in the rear. Next time around i am going to have him set it at .8 Front & 1.5 Rear since I wont be doing any hard driving during winter anyways.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:37 AM

mine is set at 1 degree in the front and 2 degree in the rear.... and i'm rather happy with it....

i don't think anyone makes camber kits for the s...
Old 11-10-2004, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by blue03s2k,Nov 10 2004, 01:37 PM

i don't think anyone makes camber kits for the s...
Umm......yes they do. And apparently >> right in our own back yard << on the GB forum. That's what actually spurred me to consider this thread and ask any locals for their experiences with same.

Quick Reply: Anyone with Camber Kits on their S2000?