Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Any software engineer/programmers/developers here?

Old 11-02-2007, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1AP12NV,Nov 2 2007, 03:02 PM
I agree, except for the programming being learned in school

I think that they're both very similar in that you can learn the building blocks from school or book reading, but that you only really gain the power perform DBA duties with skill or architect elegent software solutions through experience (and continual learning and research).

I look at it much like learning a written language. You can go to school and learn the syntax and how to form a sentence so that other can understand you. This doesn't mean you can craft a beautifly written and entertaining novel. That takes research, experience, and the ability to be creative.

In the same vein, just knowing T-SQL or how to set up tables and triggers isn't enough to make you a SQL Server DBA just as knowing C# doesn't mean you're capable of being an .Net Application Architect. Those roles both require you to be creative, have a good deal of experience, and to continually research new techniques and technologies.

Just my personal $0.02, but I'll get off the soap box
yeah I agree too. When I said that programming can be learned from books, I meant it in the same sense you did. Learning the building blocks. No school or book is gonna teach you to be a .net application architect. The only teacher is the experience. No substitute for experience.. I'm pulling my hair out trying to set up custom workflows in MOSS and Visual Studio.. I'm slowly being convinced that maybe I'm not too smart. lol. I thought I had a handle on .net framework, but I feel like I've opend up a black box trying to work with WF.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Really good Flash developers are also very difficult to come by. They're either full-time with a really good gig or they're independent (like me). This allows us to charge an arm and a leg