Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

4x4 in the road...

Old 04-10-2007, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4x4 in the road...

...and no, I don't mean a big, bad truck, either! There's a sweet little intersection where 32 and 198 meet up in Laurel. Double S-curve exit ramp rolling into a traffic circle (need to do a 270 on that one), short stump of a road directly into another traffic circle (need to do 90 there), into a long and tight S-curve, followed by a wussy S-curve.

Wellll, came out of the second circle in the right lane and into the right-hand sweep of the first S, shifted into the left to go around slow cars (even though there was an almost-as-slow SUV in the left lane). I saw something up ahead, but it looked like a piece of rubber... must have been a play of light. Just as we straighten out to take the left portion of the S, the SUV slams into a full-length 4x4, ripping it into huge pieces.

All I could think of was "Please don't let it tear my side effects off!" I ran over a portion of it, to be sure, but I think I was lucky enough to get closer to the tip of a pointy end. Had I been the one to hit that piece of wood it would have surely ripped off my front bumper and most likely the side of my car. I know this because I have 2.5" of clearance at the front, maybe another 0.5" on the sides.

I pulled to the shoulder, quickly checked it out, but didn't see any damage of consequence... not even a scratch. I'm afraid to go look for fear I'll actually find something next time. Who the hell allows a 4x4 to fall into the road and doesn't get the police called on them? I let a McDonald's napkin fly out of my car by accident and get pulled over!
Old 04-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

damn! glad you made out man!

with my old civic, i had it lowered. coming home from college one day i'm driving and i see a piece of wood go under my car. all of a sudden i hear it dragging. i pulled over and a small 2.5 inch diameter part of a tree stumb was lodged under my car by the exhaust. i had to drive 20 mins home with the most annoying sound of it dragging as well as the almost burning smell of pine wood
Old 04-10-2007, 02:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran over a 4x4 on my way to San Antonio in the S. It fell off a landscaping open trailer. I watched it bounce right into my lane and "WHAM!"

I pulled over and checked everything. I elected to then pull off at the next exit to eat. This way I'd know if I had a slow leak. Made it all the way to San Antonio... with a bent wheel.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:02 PM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I know where you're talking about.. glad you and your car are alright!!

I thought you meant the SUV ran into a 4x4 like another car. i was like damn!! ripped it into pieces!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a beautiful piece of road there. I take that way back every Wednesday night from Ft. Meade.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean, I'm glad you're ok!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Glad the car seems to be fine! Had a similar incident in my girlfriends car and it didn't fare as well as you did. And it was a piece of steel not 4x4...
Old 04-10-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i once saw the remnants of a large aluminum ladder on the highway in Georgia. There were shards of shrapnel everywhere...

And there was a Boxster on the side of the road with two flats
Old 04-10-2007, 08:52 PM

I hit a retread in my old car, ripped out my wheel well, took a piece out of the lip, destroyed the plastic piece that was behind the lip (under radiator), bent my exhaust, and ripped out the back lip......You got really lucky
Old 04-10-2007, 09:07 PM

You need to have a tire on an 18 wheeler explode while driving next to it. Holy crap, that was like a black brick flying straight for my face. Thank god there was no car in the next lane next to me, I would have taken it head on.

Quick Reply: 4x4 in the road...