Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OEM setup is a compromise setup designed for street drivers on the street with street tires etc. Not all that much fun on the track IMHO (but it certainly can be done).

Going to 255 all around with decent coilovers/alignment is going to feel like a different car on the track but an S2000 without aero in the back is not all that much fun (not confidence inspiring).

If you are trying to gradually find the limits (both your ability and your vehicle), you might really benefit from doing some autoXs in addition to track time.

Originally Posted by skapur
Originally Posted by TubeDriver' timestamp='1301498701' post='20411602
[quote name='skapur' timestamp='1301497948' post='20411541']

With a non staggered setup, OEM sway bars and nearly equal spring rates, you will probably have more oversteer than understeer (unless you set the front adjustments very stiff and leave the rear very soft). The GTC 200 will greatly help rear traction at speeds greater than 60 mph but not do much at lower speeds. I think those rates will be alright once you get a wing on the back.

I run 255 all around, have KW CS (571F/571R) and GTC200 and the balance is very nice but I am also running a Comptech adj swaybar in front set full stiff.

Sounds good - thanks for the input... what's not clear to me, is that OEM configuration has the rear spring rate stiffer than the front... for the s2000, people seem to upgrade their spring rates, but have a softer rear than front... is that to dial out oversteer and make it a bit more numb?

Originally Posted by robrob
Sheel,

Those spring rates look good and that's about what I'd put on the car with AST coilovers. The extra rate up front will help compensate for the stock sway bar but you may have to upgrade the FSB anyway to get the handling balance you want.

You definitely need to add more camber up front. Take a look at J's racing lower ball joints. They will add negative camber but won't cost you any points with NASA like the adjustable SPCs. I've never actually heard of anyone actually "adjusting" the ball joints back and forth, we just set the SPCs to full in (max neg camber) and use the stock adjusters to set what we want. Do not judge the handling of your car with the AST coilovers until you set the front camber to -2 to -3.5 (depending how much you drive the car on the street).
Yeah unfortunately I already bought the SPC kit last Nov, so I probably won't invest in the J's joint... but I haven't installed it yet, will probably happen once I slap on the new suspension

Originally Posted by FF2Skip
I'll refrain from sharing my thoughts on suspension and what you might expect from different combos, but I will offer that if you "tune" your suspension and then add the wing, you will be retuning the suspension immediately following the install.
Thanks Skip, that's what i'm expecting... i want to learn how the car feels with the new suspension independent of aero, so i'm with retuning... unless you are saying, that with the aero installed, i may have to revisit spring rates/valving?

Originally Posted by TubeDriver
I think his setup is begging for a wing. He probably will not like it until he gets one.
I assume you mean because of the suspension upgrade?... since i'm still in the learning process, i'm ok right now w/o aero and can definitely tell where it'll help me out
[/quote]
Old 03-31-2011, 01:54 PM

Did autox for 2yrs and rallyx for a year, just started hitting the track a year ago... so i only have about 13 days of experience

I'm fine w/ the limits of the car, and have had a great time w/ the RA-1 255 non-staggered setup on stock suspension. While my primary goal is to increase my skills and get into TT, I'm also trying to learn how to "tune" or build a car, so it helps me if I proceed gradually. Maybe a bit too academic of an approach, but I find it fun and necessary to experience the outcomes of the various changes, instead of lumping everything into one major upgrade w/o understanding the affects of each component.

The reason I was asking about the spring rates, is to get some validation on where i'm going w/ the car. I don't understand suspension tuning very well and don't want to spend $2k to then later realize I need to redo it. I think the stock handling is excellent and very predictable, even with 255 r-comp all around... aero on the other hand, it does needs help.

Originally Posted by TubeDriver
The OEM setup is a compromise setup designed for street drivers on the street with street tires etc. Not all that much fun on the track IMHO (but it certainly can be done).

Going to 255 all around with decent coilovers/alignment is going to feel like a different car on the track but an S2000 without aero in the back is not all that much fun (not confidence inspiring).

If you are trying to gradually find the limits (both your ability and your vehicle), you might really benefit from doing some autoXs in addition to track time.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by skapur
Did autox for 2yrs and rallyx for a year, just started hitting the track a year ago... so i only have about 13 days of experience

I'm fine w/ the limits of the car, and have had a great time w/ the RA-1 255 non-staggered setup on stock suspension. While my primary goal is to increase my skills and get into TT, I'm also trying to learn how to "tune" or build a car, so it helps me if I proceed gradually. Maybe a bit too academic of an approach, but I find it fun and necessary to experience the outcomes of the various changes, instead of lumping everything into one major upgrade w/o understanding the affects of each component.

The reason I was asking about the spring rates, is to get some validation on where i'm going w/ the car. I don't understand suspension tuning very well and don't want to spend $2k to then later realize I need to redo it. I think the stock handling is excellent and very predictable, even with 255 r-comp all around... aero on the other hand, it does needs help.

Originally Posted by TubeDriver' timestamp='1301598971' post='20416779

Sounds reasonable. You might not find 255 non-staggered all on stock suspension works as well as you start to get faster and start approaching your and your car's limits.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any fellow track junkies use the motive speed bleeder? I like the idea of the system and seems reasonable enough. However, there are some mixed reviews on providing a good seal over the master cylinder.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:15 PM

So Deb and I are going to focus on building a house on our lot in Beaufort, NC. It will be our retirement home eventually, but a second home for a few years.

This means I will no longer be tracking my car and have a few parts to sell. Unlike some other folks, I will still be keeping most of my go fast parts (Coil Overs, CAI, etc.) However, I will be selling two pairs of AP2 wheels. One set of all rears bored out have 245/45 RA1 tires that are just a few events old. They have been kept indoors and never frozen. I have a trunk with wing also for sale. The open trailer is for sale too. It is nearly brand new. I will also be getting rid of my OEM air intake, shocks/springs and some other parts.. By the end of the summer, I will be selling the roll bar & custom cut interior parts too.

This is just a heads up here, before I post everything on the for sale thread, in case anyone local is interested.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman05
So Deb and I are going to focus on building a house on our lot in Beaufort, NC. It will be our retirement home eventually, but a second home for a few years.

This means I will no longer be tracking my car and have a few parts to sell. Unlike some other folks, I will still be keeping most of my go fast parts (Coil Overs, CAI, etc.) However, I will be selling two pairs of AP2 wheels. One set of all rears bored out have 245/45 RA1 tires that are just a few events old. They have been kept indoors and never frozen. I have a trunk with wing also for sale. The open trailer is for sale too. It is nearly brand new. I will also be getting rid of my OEM air intake, shocks/springs and some other parts.. By the end of the summer, I will be selling the roll bar & custom cut interior parts too.

This is just a heads up here, before I post everything on the for sale thread, in case anyone local is interested.
Good luck on your retirement home build, Lou.
I will be retiring myself in a couple of years so I have to find me a place to retire too.

First dibs, on the trunk with wings. PM me for details. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by metros
Any fellow track junkies use the motive speed bleeder? I like the idea of the system and seems reasonable enough. However, there are some mixed reviews on providing a good seal over the master cylinder.
I use it on Subarus all the time, but I can't get it to work on the Honda without having the cap pop off. After talking to Motive, they said its because Hondas have 2 clips holding the cap on so it can't take more than ~8psi or so without leaking; hence the Honda challenge on their site
Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

This means I will no longer be tracking my car and have a few parts to sell.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman05

Man... I'm happy for you, sorry for us.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:00 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Just a FYI there is a Syndication fee for that wing and trunk. I wan't to retire too and need funds for that.

[/quote]

Good luck on your retirement home build, Lou.
I will be retiring myself in a couple of years so I have to find me a place to retire too.

First dibs, on the trunk with wings. PM me for details. Thanks.
[/quote]

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread