Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is anybody going out to VIR or Summit Point any of these weekends coming up? I have never been out to the track and am still hesitating pulling the trigger on getting my car rigged up for the track. I don't want to spend hundreds/thousands on the necessary cost of entry (mainly the annoyance of the roll bar installation), only to decide it's something I am not as passionate about as I thought before. Is there anyway I could go on a ride-along with an instructor (or any experienced driver) to get a firsthand experience? Thanks, Kevin
Old 03-23-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

driving yourself is SO much better than shotgun.

SP FATT does not allow instructor to take out anyone except a registered student, or another instructor, and then only in a 15 minute demo session. students cannot take out anyone except an instructor whether they are signed off to go solo or not.

club events usually allow instructors to take out anyone who signed the waiver.

NASA usually has lunchtime "parade laps". no helmets and pace cars on track to keep speeds down, but sometimes a spirited romp around the corners has been known to happen.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robrob
I just heard from NASA National and they've approved my provisional license. Sweet!

That is great Rob! I have never received my instructor license since last July. I know racing licenses have priority, but......

I hope to instruct at mant FATTs this year, NASA (except insanity fest) and any other clubs that will have me at SP. I won't be doing VIR until fall, if then. If you need any assistance (crew) or the use of my trailer, just let me know. I am no Oleg, as far as mechanical skills go , but I can do a few things.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkster009
Is anybody going out to VIR or Summit Point any of these weekends coming up? I have never been out to the track and am still hesitating pulling the trigger on getting my car rigged up for the track. I don't want to spend hundreds/thousands on the necessary cost of entry (mainly the annoyance of the roll bar installation), only to decide it's something I am not as passionate about as I thought before. Is there anyway I could go on a ride-along with an instructor (or any experienced driver) to get a firsthand experience? Thanks, Kevin
I am but am only running one seat right now.

Can you borrow a hard top car from someone and do a nasa hyper drive? $50 and about 20-30 mins of track time with instructor. Doesnt matter what car as long as its safe. See nasa tech inspection form for definition of safe.

If you decided to buy a S2000, you'll probably like tracking it as much as you think you will.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If you need any assistance (crew) or the use of my trailer, just let me know. I am no Oleg, as far as mechanical skills go , but I can do a few things.
Thanks Lou, I may take you up on the offer to crew.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:30 AM

Looks like Summit Main is going thru a lot of changes/improvements. A detailed report is here --> http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40936
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by dollar
Looks like Summit Main is going thru a lot of changes/improvements. A detailed report is here --> http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40936

More runoff is good, me no likey trees.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by dollar
I noticed the main bathrooms were gone on Sunday, I went to go use them and was like uh... I'm pretty sure there used to be bathrooms here.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:03 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

New bathrooms? OMG something has frozen over
Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

They had a bunch of porta-poties where the main restroom was this weekend. You'll see the changes in my latest track videos. The runoff at Turn 3 really is gigantic. Rumor has it they'll be running rally in the gravel trap between sessions

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread