Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:58 AM

Received 708 Likes on 414 Posts

woo!

got my KW clubsports in yesterday as well as my SoS ultra lightweight flywheel, bearings and S/S clutch line.

The only thing I'm waiting on now are the SPC camber ball joints that i ordered at realizing the S can't have top mount adjustable camber plates 165 extra dollars to the project!

So the list is now:
Subframe (and parts)
clubsports
SPC ball joints
clutch
FW
diff collars
front BSK (got them really cheap, i know the S doesn't really need them..)
Front frame brace (muz style)
catch can/coolant reservoir combo (still need to figure out how and what i'm going to route from pcv to catch can with... catch can has -10 fittings)
Wheels and Tires
All fluids changed
Possible Valve Adjustment

I know i'm forgetting thigns too haha

can't wait for the finished product!!
Old 03-02-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Olegator
I have learned so much driving the Stanza! It is most wonderful that driving a slow car fast teaches you a lot more that .....well...driving a fast car fast

I was able to push it all the way to and past it's limits and play around with trailbraking and lift throttle steering and not being scared to crash the car and pay crazy money to fix it. On top of that, the limits are a lot lower and this car that on the s2000, and so if you make a mistake in s2000, it will bite you in the ass, whereas here....I actually still concentrated enough to analize what happened and learn from it right away.

thats what i would love to do in a few years. really hone in driving skills and not be afraid that if something goes wrong i'm out of an s2000.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I got a Sparco Sprint 5 over the weekend.

With the Sparco seat base and putting the side mounts at their lowest setting, the seat is pretty much exactly the same height as stock.

If I just put the seat flat on the floor:
1 - The driving position sucks.
2 - With a helmet on, I STILL don't pass a broomstick test. Only by about 1/2" but still...

I know I don't have to pass a broomstick test to drive at summit point, but what the hell is the point of the rollbar if I don't?

Any suggestions? I'm starting to think this is just the wrong track car for me...
Old 03-02-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Matt, maybe you need a modified seat mount somehow. I fell your frustration man because you are trying to do right thing and it's not always easy.

By the way, i did not see at you OG shop last weekend. But I saw another guy there name Julian S2k.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by TopGear

With the Sparco seat base and putting the side mounts at their lowest setting, the seat is pretty much exactly the same height as stock.

2 - With a helmet on, I STILL don't pass a broomstick test. Only by about 1/2" but still...

I know I don't have to pass a broomstick test to drive at summit point, but what the hell is the point of the rollbar if I don't?

Any suggestions? I'm starting to think this is just the wrong track car for me...

get higher roll bar, build custom hard top that has more clearance.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Maybe Piper could mod the seat brackets for you? Or modify the floor pan ??

Get a hardtop that would at least negate any broomstick test.

Sorry none of these options are inexpensive.
Be happy you are a tall lanky person, hot women always want the "tall" guy

Old 03-02-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Beepbeep
@ Matt, maybe you need a modified seat mount somehow. I fell your frustration man because you are trying to do right thing and it's not always easy.

By the way, i did not see at you OG shop last weekend. But I saw another guy there name Julian S2k.
Hey Ron, I'm sorry for missing you at OG. I was running late, and I didn't have your cell number.

Originally Posted by gfacter
Maybe Piper could mod the seat brackets for you? Or modify the floor pan ??

Get a hardtop that would at least negate any broomstick test.

Sorry none of these options are inexpensive.
Be happy you are a tall lanky person, hot women always want the "tall" guy
Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your next option is to get the seatbase slightly modded. You could get the mounting tabs for the base slightly slightly lowered. That will give you another 1/2". I know a welder/cage fab guy who will do that for ~$50(or less).

I think that as long as your head is slightly below the top of the rollbar you should be *alright*.

The rollbar prevents you from getting a broken neck in a rollover (since you can't shift your body when you are using a harness). A rollbar that is at the top of your helmet will prevent that. You might get some scratches etc on the helmet in a rollover but that is the least of your worries in that situation.

Were you able to mount the seat so that the bottom is resting on the seat base? If not, drill some lower holes in the side mounts. Getting seats to work in the S2000 is a pain in the ass but it can be done.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I'm thinking putting the oem latches back on my hardtop (it's bolted now) so that I can run without the hardtop alltogether next time (i still have the roll bar), can I do that? My softop is out of the car.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by TubeDriver
I think your next option is to get the seatbase slightly modded. You could get the mounting tabs for the base slightly slightly lowered. That will give you another 1/2". I know a welder/cage fab guy who will do that for ~$50(or less).

I think that as long as your head is slightly below the top of the rollbar you should be *alright*.
Could you send me their info? I think I'd like to do that

Were you able to mount the seat so that the bottom is resting on the seat base? If not, drill some lower holes in the side mounts. Getting seats to work in the S2000 is a pain in the ass but it can be done.
No. The side mounts were a little disappointing in that respect. I meant to ask if it was safe to drill extra holes.

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread