Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by e3opian,Feb 11 2011, 01:44 PM
Your Life is Average... started after the site mylifeisaverage.com's MLIA, which was a result of fmylife.com's FML. Sorry, thought you were around in HAW for all that.

Just me saying that we're all disgusted about their post regulation play.

Any way, to get this back on topic... Pete, do you know if GWS MBCA will be back on Summit Main this Spring? I haven't seen any thing. Just wondering if there are any rumors you might have heard.
They are running a one day ($150) event on Jefferson which should be fun. A VIR full event and will be teaming up with TrackDaze to run at SP.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by TopGear,Feb 11 2011, 02:22 PM
Do I need to worry about the location of the shoulder harness holes in the seats I'm looking at? Is there a safety risk of my shoulders sitting above the holes? I'm pretty tall (which I'm sure you're all tired of hearing at this point).
You do need to worry about it. You want the seat shoulder belt slots to be at the same level as the top of your shoulder (or VERY close, a little (1") below is alright).

Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Feb 11 2011, 03:26 PM
You do need to worry about it. You want the seat shoulder belt slots to be at the same level as the top of your shoulder (or VERY close, a little (1") below is alright).
Yay, one more thing to worry about.

Seats are turning out to be a lot more hassle and money than I was expecting.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Feb 11 2011, 03:24 PM
They are running a one day ($150) event on Jefferson which should be fun. A VIR full event and will be teaming up with TrackDaze to run at SP.
Oooo... Never been on Jefferson.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I retorqued the coilover bolts after loading the suspension. The rears still are making the same noise. It is actually loud on road imperfections, as well as on actual bumps. Sort of a knocking noise. Reproducible by pushing down on the rear of the car, which only compresses the suspension 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If you put your hand on the shock, you can feel a little vibration that corresponds to the noise.

I really do not know how to resolve this. I am sure that everything is tight, but the car sounds like I have a few loose sockets rolling around on sheet metal. Its a little scary, to be honest.

I called Ground Control, who offered to take a look at photos and let me know if was all kosher. They said this was not common and is usually caused by something loose (nothing is loose) or the top mount is not correctly installed and there is some play.

The only think i can think of is to remove the rear coilovers, disassemble them completely, check for damage or worn stuff, and reassemble. They look completely fine, but maybe i don't know what i am looking at. Other than that, i guess its possible that there is something making this noise inside the damper itself. I did call Truechoice, the company that rebuilt and revalved them, and they said that they valving should definitely not be making noise.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

the top mount is not correctly installed and there is some play.
It does sound like your top spring hats are loose. Your top hat nuts may be bottoming out before they actually tighten on the top hat and secure it to the body--they torque up but don't actually secure the hat.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Not cool.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by robrob,Feb 11 2011, 03:49 PM
It does sound like your top spring hats are loose. Your to hat nuts may be bottoming out before they actually tighten on the top hat and secure it to the body--they torque up but don't actually secure the hat.
I was able to borrow spring compressors from Advance Auto. You may need to pull them off and compress the springs, so you can play with the top hats.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by dc_s2k,Feb 11 2011, 02:40 PM
Well, I retorqued the coilover bolts after loading the suspension. The rears still are making the same noise. It is actually loud on road imperfections, as well as on actual bumps. Sort of a knocking noise. Reproducible by pushing down on the rear of the car, which only compresses the suspension 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If you put your hand on the shock, you can feel a little vibration that corresponds to the noise.

I really do not know how to resolve this. I am sure that everything is tight, but the car sounds like I have a few loose sockets rolling around on sheet metal. Its a little scary, to be honest.

I called Ground Control, who offered to take a look at photos and let me know if was all kosher. They said this was not common and is usually caused by something loose (nothing is loose) or the top mount is not correctly installed and there is some play.

The only think i can think of is to remove the rear coilovers, disassemble them completely, check for damage or worn stuff, and reassemble. They look completely fine, but maybe i don't know what i am looking at. Other than that, i guess its possible that there is something making this noise inside the damper itself. I did call Truechoice, the company that rebuilt and revalved them, and they said that they valving should definitely not be making noise.
Matt, swing by my place and we can pull em, reassemble and reinstall. I have air, compressors etc.

I went through 3 prototype KWV3 coilovers that had noise issues so I am pretty familiar with coilover noises.

Loading (or not) the suspension will not cause noise (but will effect ride height and preload response due to bushing loading).

Sounds like the top hat may not be completely seated (shock shaft have lip for the top hat to rest on).
Old 02-11-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by e3opian,Feb 11 2011, 04:20 PM
Doh, no YouTube here. Is that Track Day Comedy?
Not a bad story about Miriam, she wears the same outfit all the time.

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread