Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 03:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I forget, when you had the Mugen seats were you running harnesses or stock belts? Could stock belts be used with an aftermarket seat safely?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:56 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

^most people will argue they can't but I'm not buying it. There are/were several factory vehicles that came with buckets and 3-point belts. A few Japan spec RX7s and NSXs come to mind. Look at the 911 GT3RS. Same story. Obviously it's not as good as a harness setup and will never hold you in as well or be as safe but to say it's less safe than stock I'm not so sure.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metros
Originally Posted by Uncoolron' timestamp='1323827175' post='21235031
[quote name='metros' timestamp='1323632989' post='21228248']
Some additional holding power for the track

Those are nice looking buckets. That will be next on my next list, as soon as I lost enough weight of couse.

I wonder what kind of tranny and gearings your RX7 has. Stock, Vette or custom?
I wanted a seat that wasn't as difficult to get in/out as my previous Mugen seats. I loved those seats but considering I generally only get to the track 2-3x a year the full bucket wasn't worthwhile. I chose these because they looked to have more padding than stiff side bolsters. However, the sides of the lower part of the seat is taller and narrower than I anticipated. The rx7 gives more room to get in/out and these seats are slightly bigger than the mugen s1r were.

Ron - seats haven proven to be my best track modification. You'll be happy with the additional control you'll have from a good seat.
[/quote]

I like the seats but the price of two is more than my car's body repairs.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a stock car driving experience deal on livingsocial:

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/23/deals/210908

But I'm trying to figure out what track are they using....looks like just some parking lot....lol, what a letdown
Old 12-15-2011, 06:06 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Manassas is an oval. Short oval- 1/4 mile I believe.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olegator
there is a stock car driving experience deal on livingsocial:

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/23/deals/210908

But I'm trying to figure out what track are they using....looks like just some parking lot....lol, what a letdown
Thanks for sharing, Oleg. My grandpa said the only thing he regrets not doing with cars was driving my dads stock car when he raced at Old Dominion. That is going to make a perfect Christmas present for him.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Anyone have any experience with any Cobra seats or know someone local with some? I'm trying to find a couple to sit in and considering switching it up from the Recaro. I really need something with harness holes that in the proper location and the Pole Position just isn't cutting it.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[/quote]

Those are nice looking buckets. That will be next on my next list, as soon as I lost enough weight of couse.

I wonder what kind of tranny and gearings your RX7 has. Stock, Vette or custom?
[/quote]
Ron - BTW, the transmission is a T56, which came from the same donor as the engine. Rear end is stock rx7 right now, which is a weak point in the system. No clutch dropping to be done here.

Originally Posted by clarkster009
I forget, when you had the Mugen seats were you running harnesses or stock belts? Could stock belts be used with an aftermarket seat safely?
When I had the Mugen seats I was using stock 3-point seat belts. Originally I had planned on running 5/6 point harnesses. However, with the higher harness bar in that harddog set up it just wasn't feasible without major work on the bar or replacing it altogether. The seats I have now are not what I would consider 'bucket' seats. Meaning they're reclinable. With seats that recline the 3-point belts are the way to go IMHO. Bucket seats have a little bit of a gray area. If the side bolsters are fairly low then I would consider the stock seat belts acceptable. In my reasoning if the belt is against the driver across the lap (tightly) then it's going to do it's job. If the side bolsters come up higher then it will impact the belts effectiveness.

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Anyone have any experience with any Cobra seats or know someone local with some? I'm trying to find a couple to sit in and considering switching it up from the Recaro. I really need something with harness holes that in the proper location and the Pole Position just isn't cutting it.
Why not Sparco? If I were looking for track specific seats then sparco would be my first choice. 1. there is a local shop with the full sparco line up to test, 2. they're of good quality and 3. they're fairly reasonably priced.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 PM

^Honestly I know it's a dumb reason but they just don't look good...at least not in the s2k. One of the biggest reasons I went for the Recaro initially was how nice and simple it looked and then how well it fit the s2000 interior while still being a fairly large seat. At least from pictures online I think the Cobra seats look nicer. They are also all using a Kevlar shell vs fiberglass without the insane price point. That and just to try something else not everyone in the world has. If the car was a dedicated track car I would 100% go for what is functionally the best for me but I still drive it on the street a bit.

I will say that at least Sparco has a huge range of seats available many of which I do know for a fact fit inside the s2000. I believe you're referring to OG Racing? Not as local to me down in Richmond but not too far away that a trip isn't out of the question.

And actually I'm not that far off from being able to squeeze into a regular Recaro Profi (SPG). I sat in one at the last event I went to and thought it was going to be far more narrow than it actually was. I actually can fit in it, it's just a little snug at the hips. Harness holes are about 1" higher than the Pole Position so it might be doable if I hit the gym and can drop a good 20lbs.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^Not really a dumb reason if it's still a street driven car. Seats are one of those things that take forever to find the 'just right' set up for all your needs.

Yes, I was referring to OG racing.

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread