Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

I had a blast this weekend. I always forget how fun track days are until I am out there. I am 90% sure one or possibly both of my rear wheel bearings are toast. It was a noisy ride home. I did have brake pad left at the end of the weekend and didn't have to drive on braking on metal which is a first.

I have lots of work to do on the car to keep me busy over the winter. Now I just have to figure out how to afford a wing, bigger brakes and more track time.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happened that Sunday was a result of several missteps that I was trying to overcome that entire weekend, like a true sportsman would. But in my case it was one too many mistakes in dealing with my car issues and driving beyond my skills.

Saturday was mostly trying to deal with brake issues. Issues that I would not have overcome with out the support of our group. Then Sunday, I made adjustment to my suspension settings to compensate my new gained confidence in going faster with my instructor. Then I was more delighted when my instructor trusted me to go solo in that round. What I found out later on the day was, when I added +3 clicks on my settings, I got distructed before adjusting the driver side rear. It turned out that when I adjusted it I did not realized at the time that I turned the other way, so it went -3 clicks down (soft). So the setting was, +8 clicks out of 10 fronts, +6 clicks out of 10 pass side rear and 0 clicks out of 10 driver side rear. Add that to my experience level equals big fail!

So from now on, double or triple check all works performed in the car before heading out.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by goldenfri
Now I just have to figure out how to afford a wing, bigger brakes and more track time.
Send me your resume.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by e3opian
Originally Posted by goldenfri' timestamp='1320693938' post='21135864
Now I just have to figure out how to afford a wing, bigger brakes and more track time.
Send me your resume.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by e3opian
Originally Posted by goldenfri' timestamp='1320693938' post='21135864
Send me your resume.
I don't know that you could pay me enough to commute across the state twice a day everyday.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Beepbeep
So from now on, double or triple check all works performed in the car before heading out.
I think you did us all a service by showing that it is indeed possible to track a car with absolutely zero pad/metal on metal.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Beepbeep
What happened that Sunday was a result of several missteps that I was trying to overcome that entire weekend, like a true sportsman would. But in my case it was one too many mistakes in dealing with my car issues and driving beyond my skills.

Saturday was mostly trying to deal with brake issues. Issues that I would not have overcome with out the support of our group. Then Sunday, I made adjustment to my suspension settings to compensate my new gained confidence in going faster with my instructor. Then I was more delighted when my instructor trusted me to go solo in that round. What I found out later on the day was, when I added +3 clicks on my settings, I got distructed before adjusting the driver side rear. It turned out that when I adjusted it I did not realized at the time that I turned the other way, so it went -3 clicks down (soft). So the setting was, +8 clicks out of 10 fronts, +6 clicks out of 10 pass side rear and 0 clicks out of 10 driver side rear. Add that to my experience level equals big fail!

One thing I try to do when adjusting the shocks just to make sure they are on the same page is figure out where you want to be at compared to where you are now and count the number of clicks until your at full stiff and then go back down however many clicks in the softer direction you need to make that change. I've found in doing that a few times that left and right weren't even to begin with.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by clarkster009
Originally Posted by Beepbeep' timestamp='1320685317' post='21135301
Good job out there, Kevin. I'm happy to see you out there and knowing that you are getting better each time. You are now ONE of the few S2000 owners that get to enjoy the full potential of what the car can do in the track and at the same time a better driver than most out there. Will, as long as you don't drive like me of course.

It's been great season for me too and thanks to everyone for all your support. Jim and Matt, I owe each of you a rotor.

Next year's goal is DE3 or higher.
Thanks Ron, it was a good time, but I am far from enjoying the FULL potential of what the car can do I definitely get to use much more of the potential out there though than I did on the street in the previous 4 years of ownership. I am glad you are ok from your little fender bender...I was so busy I didn't get to ask you much about it NOR try your cooking skills. What happened?

I guess a goal is always a good thing. My work says it should be SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely). So goal one for me would be to move up to DE2, by the end of the season, by improving my shifting/rev matching, constantly hitting apexes of turns, and utilizing the entire track. I think that is Realistic and Achievable?
Sure it is. Practice Practice Practice.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was good hangin' w/ you guys this wknd! Had fun on track... was good to be out there again.

Had a few issues though:
1. Went into T10 too early 2nd session on Saturday, I tried to correct but may have lifted in the process... back-end came around, but got both feet in and came to stop on pavement... luckily I kept it on pavement and did not go off into the dirt sideways there

2. CEL came on during my first session Sunday, so i freaked out and just pulled out onto the access road in T1 and got towed in... turned out to be an O2 sensor

3. Was going into T1 faster than I had been and tried to brake a little deeper, but unfortunately I couldn't get any stopping power as my rotors were cracked (both fronts)... so i went off straight into the gravel

4. Let a faster car pass me leading upto T3, but he threw up a huge tire chunk that hit my windshield just as i was downshifting and caught me off guard... may have over-rev'd by catching the wrong gear, but not certain... i did however start noticing smoke in my rearview as I would exit T9 - never saw this before and didn't happen in any other turns... I certainly burned up alot of oil... kind of worried about engine damage, so i'll look it over during the winter... anyone have an engine rebuilt?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

T9 was always a place to get blow-by. You may have not noticed it before or you may have been going faster than before. Or you could've jacked yer ish up!

I think I saw Cory had a motor for sale in the VA Beach area if needed.

Good seeing you and your companion(mop of hair)!

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread