Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOOONG overdue rule change in F1, hopefully it happens!
Safety Car Rule Tweak Likely For 2012: Formula One is likely to tweak the safety car rules for the 2012 season. The team bosses got together in India last weekend to discuss forcing lapped drivers to pull ahead of the safety car and join the back of the queue. When that rule was last in place, there were complaints that 'cleaning up' the string of cars behind the safety car took too long, according to Auto Motor und Sport. But when the race finally resumed, there was no danger the slower cars could affect the contests at the head of the field. "Both ways have their advantages and their disadvantages," said Sauber team manager Beat Zehnder.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkster009
Sounds pretty cool Ron. I'll have to look at it Saturday.

I am debating going to Best Buy and buying a GoPro at retail price so I can film over the weekend...not sure if they'd have the roll bar specific mount there though so guess I'll probably have to wait till next year to take some video.
I have an I/O port camera mount that I'm not using. You could always buy it off me and then I can pick up another down the road. Good quality mount, has all hardware necessary and bolts on to roll bar. The mount has a bushing between mounting area and camera location to help soak up some vibration. Think I paid $110 for it. $90 seems fair.

*edit - I used my Kodak Zi8 with this mount.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^That rule just make sense. I will root for Schumie one more time next year and if he does not deliver, that's it.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkster009
Originally Posted by goldenfri' timestamp='1320374280' post='21127482
[quote name='clarkster009' timestamp='1320359817' post='21126953']
Sounds pretty cool Ron. I'll have to look at it Saturday.

I am debating going to Best Buy and buying a GoPro at retail price so I can film over the weekend...not sure if they'd have the roll bar specific mount there though so guess I'll probably have to wait till next year to take some video.
I just picked up a contour HD so my Zi8 is for sale if you are interested. You are welcome to try it out this weekend.

Originally Posted by Olegator
I'll be there sunday. I'm moving to the new place this weekend, so needless to say, I'll be busy doing that.
Jim, how much are you asking for it?
[/quote]
I dunno maybe $80?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

This is probably a long shot but does anyone have a universal mount for the contour that they won't be using? They seem to be back ordered at a lot of places and not available locally. I didn't realize this thing didn't come with a screw mount like every other camera on earth.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that was a fun way to end the year! I had (what I felt) was a better instructor this time as he focused me on establishing more precise braking zones and using the brakes harder and for a shorter distance. He would provide me with negative and positive feedback and made me feel comfortable enough to get to the point of upshifting and downshifting the entire track (Last event I had a bit of a nightmare trying to downshift into Turn 1 so I was just staying in 4th) so that made it much more fun this weekend although I have a lot to improve on. I also was missing 3->4 shifts in my last session (I think at least 4) and had a couple 4->5 mis-shifts going into the carousel which definitely made things slower. I also had a couple turn ins that were too fast or times where I was braking too late during my last session so it wasn't very smooth compared to my previous ones. My instructor was saying that was due to the fact I had been steadily improving and carrying more speed throughout the course that session, but wasn't adjust my braking accordingly which was throwing off my turn ins.

I also had a ride around with Pete to show me what FAST really is...man that was a blast. It's amazing what skills and those R Compounds can do. I swear, when he hit Turn 3 the first time I was like "Oh damn, we ain't gonna make it" but man those tires can grip. He is a great driver..had a blast. Never felt sick at all the whole time...occasionally I'd find myself grinning though

Looking forward to next year and a new Thread!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:01 AM

Good job out there, Kevin. I'm happy to see you out there and knowing that you are getting better each time. You are now ONE of the few S2000 owners that get to enjoy the full potential of what the car can do in the track and at the same time a better driver than most out there. Will, as long as you don't drive like me of course.

It's been great season for me too and thanks to everyone for all your support. Jim and Matt, I owe each of you a rotor.

Next year's goal is DE3 or higher.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 AM

Kevin - Good to see you out there. Now you get to spend all winter anticipating your next track day like the rest of us.

Beepbeep - Sorry about your luck. Time to cage it!

Robrob - we missed you and Brenda.

George - thanks for sharing the miata! Love that car.

Everyone - it was great seeing you and sharing another beautiful track weekend.

Running a time in the 1:23s was my goal for the year so I got to check that one off with a 1:23.0. Couldnt replicate it though on Sunday. It was weird because I thought I was going faster and a couple speedo checks seemed to confirm that but the best I managed was 1:24.2. My hot tire pressure (RA1) was 32.5 so I probably should have gone a little higher. Also I think I can carry a couple more mph into 3 and 10 and through 1. Rob, I used your debrief form which will be helpful for remembering what I need to work on in March.

Not going to make the instructor appreciation day on 12/3, forgot about a thing.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fun weekend, great seeing everyone.

I'll be at the instructor apprec track day if the weather is 45 degrees or above.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beepbeep
Good job out there, Kevin. I'm happy to see you out there and knowing that you are getting better each time. You are now ONE of the few S2000 owners that get to enjoy the full potential of what the car can do in the track and at the same time a better driver than most out there. Will, as long as you don't drive like me of course.

It's been great season for me too and thanks to everyone for all your support. Jim and Matt, I owe each of you a rotor.

Next year's goal is DE3 or higher.
Thanks Ron, it was a good time, but I am far from enjoying the FULL potential of what the car can do I definitely get to use much more of the potential out there though than I did on the street in the previous 4 years of ownership. I am glad you are ok from your little fender bender...I was so busy I didn't get to ask you much about it NOR try your cooking skills. What happened?

I guess a goal is always a good thing. My work says it should be SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely). So goal one for me would be to move up to DE2, by the end of the season, by improving my shifting/rev matching, constantly hitting apexes of turns, and utilizing the entire track. I think that is Realistic and Achievable?

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread