Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TubeDriver
Trying softening up your front suspension rebound.

I have a similar set up to you and understeer is not a huge issue for me (lousy tirewear, however is another issue).

Where are you pushing? Entry, apex, exit?

Originally Posted by dc_s2k' timestamp='1314107537' post='20904696
[quote name='gfacter' timestamp='1314018070' post='20900954']
[quote name='dc_s2k' timestamp='1313975066' post='20900029']
Rob - Lou had an off with a student in a fast corner. No damage to persons.

Thanks Rob and George. It was fun, and I improved by about 4.3 seconds over April. Improvement is what I am looking for. There is more speed to be had.

Good seeing you JFO. Good luck at Nationals!
4.3 second improvement? That is huge, did you sell your soul or something?

The only time I have a improvement like that was when I brought a car with 400 HP.
Skip's coilovers and wing.

I am down on front camber and pushing a lot. Think there is more to be had from fixing that as well as improving me.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Apex. turn in is fine, exit is fine. Every in between in the Carousel is one big push. Per JFO, I am trying to time my shift for 7 to get the car to rotate but seem to be running out of RPMs before getting to the right place.

T9 is huge push from turn in to past apex.

Can you help me with the suspension settings? I am clueless about adjusting suspension and don't want to ruin it. If you drive the car
Old 08-23-2011, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, something is not right.

You should be getting a smidge of entry understeer, but it should be pretty neutral at apex.

This could be a driver issue for example:

If you are primarily straight braking before turn-in and then getting on the gas too early and too aggressively you could be unloading the front wheels (due to throttle increase) and reducing front grip leading to understeer. In this case, increase entry speed a bit (you should go from the neutral balance to perhaps a bit of underteer, and be more gradual with your throttle at apex.

If you are fairly aggressively trail braking and have understeer at apex, probably the first thing you might do is try reducing front tire pressure 1-2 psi. Next thing, you might try softening your front sway bar and/or softening front rebound.

You should come out to an autoX and use it as a low speed test and tune. The Mercedes autoX last Sunday was reline in 2nd and 3rd gear for virtually all the course

Finally, if you are doing a classic late turn-in/apex in T9 you will push. There is a different line (earlier turn in, right on the curbing so you can straighten the wheel at apex and have minimal steering input over the bump in the middle of the track.

If you can't time a shift for T7, then just do a tiny lift throttle to get the rear positioned and shift as you come prepare entry into T8.

Originally Posted by dc_s2k
Originally Posted by TubeDriver' timestamp='1314109281' post='20904784
Trying softening up your front suspension rebound.

I have a similar set up to you and understeer is not a huge issue for me (lousy tirewear, however is another issue).

Where are you pushing? Entry, apex, exit?

[quote name='dc_s2k' timestamp='1314107537' post='20904696']
[quote name='gfacter' timestamp='1314018070' post='20900954']
[quote name='dc_s2k' timestamp='1313975066' post='20900029']
Rob - Lou had an off with a student in a fast corner. No damage to persons.

Thanks Rob and George. It was fun, and I improved by about 4.3 seconds over April. Improvement is what I am looking for. There is more speed to be had.

Good seeing you JFO. Good luck at Nationals!
4.3 second improvement? That is huge, did you sell your soul or something?

The only time I have a improvement like that was when I brought a car with 400 HP.
Skip's coilovers and wing.

I am down on front camber and pushing a lot. Think there is more to be had from fixing that as well as improving me.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Apex. turn in is fine, exit is fine. Every in between in the Carousel is one big push. Per JFO, I am trying to time my shift for 7 to get the car to rotate but seem to be running out of RPMs before getting to the right place.

T9 is huge push from turn in to past apex.

Can you help me with the suspension settings? I am clueless about adjusting suspension and don't want to ruin it.
[/quote]
Old 08-23-2011, 09:27 AM

Thanks Pete. I am trail braking but perhaps too much and then getting on it mid corner which is causing the push, which is frustrating. I'll try going a little faster on entry and feeding throttle more gradually. It would be great to go fast enough to be 500 RPM higher in T9 as I am flat through there and the car is in VTEC but really isnt putting down enough power to accelerate hard until well after the hump.

The autox is a good idea.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:31 AM

If you can work out T7 you should have no problem getting 500rpm more in T9.

Originally Posted by dc_s2k
Thanks Pete. I am trail braking but perhaps too much and then getting on it mid corner which is causing the push, which is frustrating. I'll try going a little faster on entry and feeding throttle more gradually. It would be great to go fast enough to be 500 RPM higher in T9 as I am flat through there and the car is in VTEC but really isnt putting down enough power to accelerate hard until well after the hump.

The autox is a good idea.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 AM

Or more turbo fluid. that would help too.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Well that was a hell of shake
earthquake 5.8 in Mineral Springs va at 6km deep
Old 08-23-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I felt it too. That was pretty nuts! Woke me from my midafternoon doze.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TubeDriver
Finally, if you are doing a classic late turn-in/apex in T9 you will push. There is a different line (earlier turn in, right on the curbing so you can straighten the wheel at apex and have minimal steering input over the bump in the middle of the track.

If you can't time a shift for T7, then just do a tiny lift throttle to get the rear positioned and shift as you come prepare entry into T8.
As Pete said, the best line through T9 is not the traditional line. It did seem, however, that exiting T9 the crown was not as evident this past weekend. Most likely because my student and I were both on supple suspension. Matt, Lou- did either of you notice a decrease in the crowned area beyond apex?
Old 08-23-2011, 04:47 PM

The dip seemed to still be there, just not as pronounced. It didn't seem to have the crown pushing you left after the dip, just neutral. I was't there when it got wet this weekend and that is when I always noticed it the most. I think it was George & and Trevor P. that taught me the line Pete describes. That is what I was doing a poor job of explaining to you when we were discussing our student. I thought it would help keep the car from becoming upset.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip
Originally Posted by TubeDriver' timestamp='1314116821' post='20905209

As Pete said, the best line through T9 is not the traditional line. It did seem, however, that exiting T9 the crown was not as evident this past weekend. Most likely because my student and I were both on supple suspension. Matt, Lou- did either of you notice a decrease in the crowned area beyond apex?
I think its still there. I get a little slide there going flat and the revs jump as the rear gets unloaded, which is what always happens altough its less of an issue with the wing. Its doesn't seem any more or less pronounced than in the past.

Its never been much of an issue for me or students unless the track is wet.

Regarding the early turn in, I'll work on that option next time. I thought i was turning in early, but i guess not early enough. Couldnt get over to the curbing without a lift.

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread