Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leadhead16,Feb 2 2011, 07:48 PM
If you are trying to just get on track and do some Hpde or FATT. Put the roll bar in and go get out on track. You really dont need anything else. Would it be safer with more safety equipment yes. However its already rather safe. Performance driving experiences are not wheel to wheel racing its learning how to drive at a high rate of speed. Trust me spend your money on track time!!!! I did a whole season of track days with my S2k. The only modifications I made was the hard dog roll bar didnt even have the vertical bar or seatbelt tabs(I kept the stock roll hoops). I changed my brake pads and brake fluid and there you go your ready for a ton of fun. Just be careful you will be addicted and next thing you know you will be building a race car!
There is a lot of wisdom here. Before you invest in seats/harnesses, you may want to go with your stock seats. I found after my 2nd weekend, I was quite exhausted from sliding around - and was advised to invest in a CG lock. I've read in other forums where people use seatbelt locks found at Babies R Us or somewhere else.

If you have the money up front and know you want it, go for it. Otherwise, just go, try not to get too overwhelmed, and most of all - have fun!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get what you guys are saying its just if i plan to go with this stuff in the future then shouldn't i get pieces that help lean that way, instead of buying one setup then selling it to get another?

better to do it right once than do it twice. I'm dealing w/ that now converting the car from "show" to "go" now. Thats what i get for being young w/ a nice car an money to spend. lol

See if I could get the Bar so that it has this:

-Welded Diagonal
-Welded Lowered Harness Bar - (not compatible with stock hoops)
-Shoulder Harness Guide Brackets - (stock roll hoops are removed and factory seat belts retained)

Then I'b be set, that way i could get on the track an start w/ my OE Seats an Keep the OE Belts until I'm ready an swap out an over to a Bucket an Harness

But from what i gathered w/ you guys that layout not possible, so thats why i figured I just get it to setup for harnesses.

An you guys sugguest that i get the diagnal an bracket guides an call it a day?

right?

lol i know i'm being huge pain in the ass. I'm sorry
Old 02-02-2011, 06:59 PM

Your car stock probably has more "go" than you do as a new-ish driver at the track. Rest assured, you will get plenty of miles out of just going with a roll bar and track pads/fluids. There are people with much slower cars that have mad skills and lap me at the track. with or without seats/harnesses.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TopGear,Feb 1 2011, 10:03 PM
The single diagonal design might not look as cool, but it's actually stronger since the diagonal goes from corner to corner of the rollbar. If you look at something like that NASA rule book, you'll see that single diagonal is the preferred design. (You can legally run a double diagonal, but it's not as strong, and more expensive, so why bother?)
I was thinking about this while sitting in my car today, and it's not really true for the Hard Dog bar. The single diagonal just barely makes it past the centerline. I guess they did that so you wouldn't have to remove the center console.

Double diagonals on this bar wouldn't really be all that different than the single diagonal setup in this case. (Maybe the single diagonal makes it just far enough across to satisfy some requirement for some organization though, and the double doesn't since it doesn't pass the center line at all. I don't know )
Old 02-02-2011, 09:17 PM

Hey, Team ReVolvolution: How much did all the safety upgrades to the revolvo cost, if you don't mind me asking? (Specifically the cage, but also any other expenses you had)

A friend and I are playing around with the idea of doing a race in 2012, and we're trying to ballpark some cost estimates for it.

Oh, and where'd you find your car? Craigslist? Functioning $500 cars are not as easy to come by as I would've hoped.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

[QUOTE=S2Kitt,Feb 2 2011, 10:41 PM] See if I could get the Bar so that it has this:

-Welded Diagonal
-Welded Lowered Harness Bar - (not compatible with stock hoops)
-Shoulder Harness Guide Brackets - (stock roll hoops are removed and
Old 02-03-2011, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TopGear,Feb 3 2011, 02:17 AM
Hey, Team ReVolvolution: How much did all the safety upgrades to the revolvo cost, if you don't mind me asking? (Specifically the cage, but also any other expenses you had)

A friend and I are playing around with the idea of doing a race in 2012, and we're trying to ballpark some cost estimates for it.

Oh, and where'd you find your car? Craigslist? Functioning $500 cars are not as easy to come by as I would've hoped.
probably 3000 in safety.

seat, harnesses, bar padding, nets, QR wheel (this is important to getting out fast), fire system. it adds up fast.

cage was about 1300, but we got a great cage and a good deal.

car was from CL. You have to haggle. that's part of the fun.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the info
Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by dc_s2k,Feb 3 2011, 09:27 AM
probably 3000 in safety.

seat, harnesses, bar padding, nets, QR wheel (this is important to getting out fast), fire system. it adds up fast.

cage was about 1300, but we got a great cage and a good deal.

car was from CL. You have to haggle. that's part of the fun.
Yea, even cheap racing adds up.

Cage $1200
seat $400
steering wheel/QR $150
nets/cutoff switch etc $400
fire suppression $500
harness $150

New wheels/tires/rotors/pads/brake lines/strut tops/suspension parts etc.

New engine.

New transmission.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Feb 3 2011, 12:13 PM
New engine.

New transmission.
How did this factor into your $500 limit? Was the car "revalued" by the lemons organizers after the engine blew up?

How much did the new engine/trans end up costing?

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread