Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Budman05
Front bar and SS lines can wait, as long as the existing lines are in good condition. I second Oleg's Carbotech suggestion and would add front brake ducting as a high priority.Welcome to a fun group of supportive folks.
But I didn't even say anything!

I agree, with Carbotech suggestion and ducting.
I'd do SS lines just because. You will probably have to go through your brake system anyways (new pads, rotors, fluid)
Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Beepbeep
Stay away from Carbotec RP3s.
Why?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:59 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfootgirl
Originally Posted by WhiteSSP' timestamp='1311637724' post='20814418
Sup MA guys,
This is the plan right now:

Hard dog rollbar (single diag + bolt in harness bar as I'd like to keep the interior...its my daily driver)
Hawk HP+ pads (same pads I ran on the miata)
Stainless lines
Saner front bar
AP2 wheels + RA1's
Realistically you really only need the rollbar.. with brake fluid. If you go back a few pages, there were a lot of suggestions already. I did my entire first weekend on oem, and probably could've done the 2nd weekend as well.
I would agree with you for a noob, but for someone in HPDE3 they need real pads like the carbotechs.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by goldenfri
I would agree with you for a noob, but for someone in HPDE3 they need real pads like the carbotechs.

reading fail. Sorry.. Ignore my stupidity. you will def need carbotechs.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
Congrats on the podium finish Matt!

While the weekend is still fresh in your mind fill out this VIR debrief form and then review it before you run there again:
http://robrobinette.com/misc/Track_Debrief_VIR.pdf
Thanks Rob. I did jot down notes, but will use this form instead.

It turns out my best time was good enough for 2nd place in both TTB AND TTA this past weekend. Something is wrong with the car classing.

Maybe I will just sign up for TTB for August....
Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm not sure what...if anything... really needs to be done to get this car on track safely (other than a roll bar of course) and reliably.

I wouldn't wait on the brake lines. Your stock lines are 9 years old and running an S in NASA HPDE 3 you're going to stress the brakes, especially without cooling ducts.

Here's my take on slowly moving the S2000 from bone stock to race car: http://robrobinette.com/S2000TrackEvolv.htm
Old 07-26-2011, 06:19 AM

As mentioned, get some serious track pads like XP10/XP8. Ducts will extend the life of your rotors (which will crack so check them often). Good brake fluid like Motul RB600 is nice.

If you run nonstaggered, get front swaybar. If you run staggered then you don't need a front swaybar. Front swaybar is a staggered, BS autoX thing (or non staggered autoX/track thing).

NT01R are better and last almost as long as RA1s, (also no need to shave tires). You can use unshaved RA1s on a Miata (I had one) but they do not work on an S2000 (extra weight and power mean terrible tread squirm).

I would also recommend a 5/6 pt harness and a HANs if you are in NASA Group 3. Your speeds will be much higher in the S2000 compared to your Miata.

Originally Posted by WhiteSSP
Sup MA guys,

Figured this was as good as spot as any to ask this. Looking to track my 03 S2000 (45k miles, currently bone stock) early next year. Sold my track Miata/trailer/truck earlier this year to get out of it, but I'm miserable without the track. The go fast crack pipe is too addicting. Anyway, I'm not sure what...if anything... really needs to be done to get this car on track safely (other than a roll bar of course) and reliably. My next event would have been my first in HPDE3 (with NASA) in the miata before I decided to sell it. That car was mildly modded (stock 183k mile drivetrain, 225 RA1's, Koni Race's/Ground Control 800f/450r springs, stock swaybars). This is the plan right now:

Hard dog rollbar (single diag + bolt in harness bar as I'd like to keep the interior...its my daily driver)
Hawk HP+ pads (same pads I ran on the miata)
Stainless lines
Saner front bar
AP2 wheels + RA1's

I'll probably do the first few sessions on street tires to learn the car before jumping into RA1's.

Any suggestions as to anything additional/different? Is the front bar needed on a track car or is that an autocross-biased item?

I'm in Norfolk, VA btw, so this will basically be for VIR, Summit Point, NCCAR, and occaisionally (if I want to tape up my entire car) the "driftwater" track in Moyock.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One quick comment about Carbotech RP2s.

They performed very well this weekend at VIR. No scoring, no appreciable pad wear, no pad deposits. They do wear the rotors faster than XP10.

The pads do deposit on the rotor during street driving, but it gets ground off after a track session.

So, RP2 bad on street, good on track, hard on rotors. If you run stock rotors they are probably worth it, if not and your rotors are $$$, probably not worth it.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:08 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Just found one heck of a deal on a harddog bar and it's exactly the one I want Just gotta work out getting it now
Old 07-26-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Just found one heck of a deal on a harddog bar and it's exactly the one I want Just gotta work out getting it now
Really? How much? Got a link?

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread