Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dc_s2k
Oh, my bad. I thought this was a thread about GOING TO THE TRACK. Did I get lost and end up in the bling bling wheel thread somehow???

is HMFIC here??

Clarkster - don't overthink the wheel/mod thing. Get on the track and get experience. When the Miata's and the VW GTI's stop passing you, then start to consider mods..

Otherwise, you're just going to the track to show of your bling mods.. not to learn to drive.

Just my $.02
Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip
Anyone and everyone: just get to the track first. If you don't have a bar, forget wheels. You'd be amazed at how well stock wheels work simply with RA-1's. I'd be willing to bet all the guys commenting with actual track experience in their S's started by running oem wheels.
That's all I ever ran, stock wheels with 225 front and 245 rears, I got around pretty good for 4 years in my S2000.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TubeDriver
Originally Posted by clarkster009' timestamp='1310584601' post='20775802
No this is about going to the track. I originally asked about Enkei wheels that were only 5mm less aggressive than RPF1s...I didn't think they would get so bashed as being hellaflush. I knew they were pushing it offset-wise but I was wanting opinions from more seasoned guys. Either way, I thought this thread was about education just as much as sharing track news and experiences. I guess I will just learn via "trial by error" methodology from now on. Thanks anyway to everyone who did offer insight.

I think you are over reacting to Matt's delicate sense of sarcasm.
It would appear so. It is about education, but there are only so many ways to say stock wheels for starters and then stock offsets are the best way to go. FWIW I ran stock wheels for the first ~20 track days on my car.

The point is, worrying about this wheel vs that wheel is pointless if you want to learn how to drive fast (and safely) on a track. Stock everything works great, until it doesnt. We'll help you figure out when that is, but it's definitely after multiple days on track. All you need is a bar and some decent front brake pads. Even the pads are optional to start with.

Oh, and anyone, I have a set of AP2v1 wheels for sale pretty cheap. Perfect for track starters if you don't want to ruin your fancy wheels with fused brake dust and rubber globs.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, I didn't mean to overreact to anything. It just was a long day at work and I was kind of testy. It seemed as if some people were calling me "stupid" without saying it. Anyways, right now I do have a roll bar in and am on stock wheels. I upgraded the brakes a little and added Hankook V12 (figured id go with rs3 next). I was asking questions about the nonstaggered setup more for the future. I just am trying to decide whether I should keep the fenders. I will most likely go a couple more days as is, put on my coilovers, go a few more days, and THEN maybe consider nonstaggered.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell the fenders to fund more track time. Win win.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

or sell the fenders and use proceeds to buy me a harddog bar so both of us can go to the track

^his menthod = win for only 1
my method = win for 2
Old 07-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad to see everything worked out for everyone. This thread is about education and helping get more noobies on the track.

I installed a Megan Racing front bump steer kit yesterday and did a how-to. I haven't driven the car yet so I can't comment on any benefits to handling yet. The theory is it raises the steering rack on a lowered car to correct the steering arm angles and put the front suspension back to the stock camber curve.

http://robrobinette....00FrontBump.htm

Old 07-14-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

^How bad was the install?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by metros
Sell the fenders to fund more track time. Win win.

Originally Posted by //steve\\
or sell the fenders and use proceeds to buy me a harddog bar so both of us can go to the track

^his menthod = win for only 1
my method = win for 2
LOL, nice try Steve

Well, I may have found a local buyer for the fenders...everybody cross your fingers!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

How bad was the install?

Now that I know the tricks (just loosening and not removing the radiator hose bracket, and installing the front rack bolts before installing the shims) I could do it in 30-45 minutes. It would take longer if I had to remove the stock air box.

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread