Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, my bad. I thought this was a thread about GOING TO THE TRACK. Did I get lost and end up in the bling bling wheel thread somehow???
Old 07-13-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No this is about going to the track. I originally asked about Enkei wheels that were only 5mm less than RPF1s...I didn't think they would get so bashed as being hellaflush. I knew they were pushing it offset-wise but I was wanting opinions from more seasoned guys. Either way, I thought this thread was about education just as much as sharing track news and experiences. I guess I will just learn via "trial by error" methodology from now on. Thanks anyway to everyone who did offer insight.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

^I'm not so sure I'd go that far. Personally I think you'd be ok with 17x9 +40. You'll definitely need to roll and pull both front and rear although if you keep those DF front fenders the 17x9 +40 would actually fit fairly nice and you wouldn't have to worry about the front fenders. You can definitely make them fit out back without rubbing as well. It's just going to take a lot more pulling and trimming down of the rear bumper. Now having gone that route I'd stay to something +45 and up just b/c of the extra work the lower offsets require and they aren't a guarantee.

The group of guys here that regular track their car have the most experience so I'd side with them as far as what likely will and won't work around here. There are so many variables that factor into what sizes will and won't work. The only truth is that the conservative meant for s2k sizes definitely won't give you troubles.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clarkster009
No this is about going to the track. I originally asked about Enkei wheels that were only 5mm less aggressive than RPF1s...I didn't think they would get so bashed as being hellaflush. I knew they were pushing it offset-wise but I was wanting opinions from more seasoned guys. Either way, I thought this thread was about education just as much as sharing track news and experiences. I guess I will just learn via "trial by error" methodology from now on. Thanks anyway to everyone who did offer insight.

I think you are over reacting to Matt's delicate sense of sarcasm. The Enkies are tight fit already, take away 5mm more offset and you are really pushing it.

Here is the facts, you can make ANYTHING work if you mess around with enough stuff. 17x9 et63 or 17x9 et60 is the easiest way to get 255 tires on your car in a wheel width that optimizes tread shape and response. 17x9 et45 will also work but you will have to do more work to your fenders, rear bumper etc. 17x9 et 40 can also work but will require significantly more work.

You know that 95% of the serious track guys around here run 17x9 et45-63 with 255s. The main reason people run et 45 wheels is because there were not many et63 wheels available a year or two ago. now there are plenty of wheels with this offset so it becomes easier to choose wheels IMHO. What else do you really need to know?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

group hug?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by //steve\\
group hug?

Forget the hug, just get wheels and tires and come on out to the track!
Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TubeDriver
Originally Posted by clarkster009' timestamp='1310584601' post='20775802
No this is about going to the track. I originally asked about Enkei wheels that were only 5mm less aggressive than RPF1s...I didn't think they would get so bashed as being hellaflush. I knew they were pushing it offset-wise but I was wanting opinions from more seasoned guys. Either way, I thought this thread was about education just as much as sharing track news and experiences. I guess I will just learn via "trial by error" methodology from now on. Thanks anyway to everyone who did offer insight.

I think you are over reacting to Matt's delicate sense of sarcasm. The Enkies are tight fit already, take away 5mm more offset and you are really pushing it.

Here is the facts, you can make ANYTHING work if you mess around with enough stuff. 17x9 et63 or 17x9 et60 is the easiest way to get 255 tires on your car in a wheel width that optimizes tread shape and response. 17x9 et45 will also work but you will have to do more work to your fenders, rear bumper etc. 17x9 et 40 can also work but will require significantly more work.

You know that 95% of the serious track guys around here run 17x9 et45-63 with 255s. The main reason people run et 45 wheels is because there were not many et63 wheels available a year or two ago. now there are plenty of wheels with this offset so it becomes easier to choose wheels IMHO. What else do you really need to know?
Tracking is about friendly competetion and teasing is part of it. Remember we are all bunch of type A (competitive) personalities, if not then you might be in a wrong place.

We can throw in many theories about different tires sizes and offsets but the buttom line is you cannot defy physics and to go around it requires more physics. What we can speak of is mostly what we have experienced (which is I don't have much) so I would treat every single one of them as valuable information. We also learn from other's input and experiences so we try to learn from it too and pass them on. But if definite answer to a specific idea or theory is what you are looking for then it would be difficult to find that here.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by TubeDriver
Originally Posted by //steve\\' timestamp='1310589629' post='20776191
group hug?
Forget the hug, just get wheels and tires and come on out to the track!
THIS.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip
Only have a second...

Tires on the car pictured above seem to be stretched. Also, notice almost no body roll in the corner. Those guys out there think the starting point for spring rates is 1000. LOL

Be aware that no one is picking on anyone. Like Pete said, if this were the street, it'd be one thing. But this is our track/autox arena. First things first- rollbar.
THIS again.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone and everyone: just get to the track first. If you don't have a bar, forget wheels. You'd be amazed at how well stock wheels work simply with RA-1's. I'd be willing to bet all the guys commenting with actual track experience in their S's started by running oem wheels.

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread